Industry Elites Added As Judges for Webcomic Contest

mynameissqrat

Feb 3, 2010
Well like it was mentioned earlier, it depends on how commited a person is to their comic/the comic their working on with other people. It's hard I know because I still need a colorest. but the point is: If you can find a group of people who have the motivation, you can make something worth while because you have a group of minds that can bounce ideas off eachother, and idealy make a stronger comic for themselfs from the input from the people around them. However it IS hard to find a group of motivated people.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
SmugFrog said:
I wonder how many people will read the "fine print"?

By participating in this contest, contestants grant Themis Group, Inc. the right to print, publish, broadcast and use worldwide in any media now known or hereafter developed, including, without limitation, the World Wide Web, at any time or times, the contestant's name, as news or for public information and education without additional consideration or compensation. Any entry becomes the property of Themis Group, Inc. and will not be returned. Entrants surrender copyright and all interests therein of their submissions to Themis Group, Inc. with the understanding that the materials may be used for promotional purposes.

A little restrictive - but I suppose it is a way to get something on the resume if you're not going to publish something you want to own the rights to.
This is exactly one of the reasons why I gave up on my writing ambitions. Basically you can't submit to a publisher nowadays without signing a contract that basically says they have the right to rob you.

A lot of people in writing will tell you that such contracts seek to protect the publisher, and that nobody is going to steal an idea down the road because everyone has enough of their own ideas in any kind of creative industry that they "Want to do given the oppertunity" that they certainly aren't going to be interested in yours. I believe The Escapist had an article called "Your idea sucks" saying the same basic thing in regards to video game ideas.

On the other hand my experience has shown exactly the opposite. I'm still a fairly big fan of the product of an RPG company called "Palladiumbooks" and used to frequent their forums regularly (I don't anymore, and no it's not because I was banned or anything). For anyone who has followed things like RIFTS, Heroes Unlimited, or whatever you might have some knowlege of the things that happened to some of their more prolific writers like CJ Carella, and Bill Coffin over a period of time, and how it didn't end happily. As well as old allegations revolving around D&D/AD&D about Gary Gygax stealing the work of other people and putting his name on it due to some contract that claimed he had the right to, which is allegedly what started the chain of events that lead to him being booted by his own company.

I am intentionally avoiding specifics on a lot of this, and I could mention other things. However in general the danger tends to be less that someone will steal your work verbatim, but rather take ideas or pieces from it as part of another work, and not give you any credit. Say for example you make a TV pilot or movie that doesn't get picked up, but becomes the property of some studio. Down the road someone doesn't take your work directly, but liked a couple of ideas or specific scenes and how you shot them which were really creative, and then does the same thing verbatim in his own work and winds up being lauded as a genius for basically copying you...

Despite how this might sound I doubt anything will happen to those that do submit to this contests, but yeah... I agree that is really restrictive. I have no artistic talent, but if I did I would try and avoid this, and would be a lot more receptive if the host could find some way of covering themselves without basically legally contracting their right to rob you.

It is however not unusual, that's pretty much what you'd have to agree to just to submit to a hobby magazine like an RPG periodical or whatever.

CarlsonAndPeeters

Mar 18, 2009
so i've been lurking, reading on-and-off looking for news about the contest.

am i to understand that the plan is for the losers to create a site for their webcomics? like, one giant video-game/technology couch-filled website full of comics? because if so, count me in and let me know how to get involved.

mynameissqrat

Feb 3, 2010
NpPro93 said:
so i've been lurking, reading on-and-off looking for news about the contest.

am i to understand that the plan is for the losers to create a site for their webcomics? like, one giant video-game/technology couch-filled website full of comics? because if so, count me in and let me know how to get involved.
It's a "maybe". anything more I cannot say.

trbomtnt

Feb 10, 2010
I think we should do a site with all the lurkers (myself included) with comics about what they are lurking at, and the news in the world of lurking. All the vast amounts of money which this venture will rake in will be split amongst the lurkers who are truly dedicated to the art of lurking.

CarlsonAndPeeters

Mar 18, 2009
trbomtnt said:
I think we should do a site with all the lurkers (myself included) with comics about what they are lurking at, and the news in the world of lurking. All the vast amounts of money which this venture will rake in will be split amongst the lurkers who are truly dedicated to the art of lurking.
all this talk of lurkers makes me think of Jak and Daxter...

isjusterin

Jul 6, 2008
Auuughhhh I don't want to do anything I just want the resulllllllts.

And everyone else has so many plans!

Satoshii

Feb 7, 2010
isjusterin said:

Me too! I would-so-very-much-like-the-results-kind-escapist-editor-sir-if-it-would-please-you-thank-you-very-much.

Count me out of any collab work though, I said i'd probably continue with my comic to put with my others, but I wouldn't have the time to dedicate to yet another thing. A big group thing doesn't look like it'll get off the ground, but for those who wanna try, more power to ya.

aeroz

Dec 14, 2008
isjusterin said:

I find its good to have lots of projects incase they fall through. that and, well lets be honest its more fun to have lots of things going on.

isjusterin

Jul 6, 2008
aeroz said:
isjusterin said:

I find its good to have lots of projects incase they fall through. that and, well lets be honest its more fun to have lots of things going on.
Oh yes, I've got something in order in case this doesn't work out (99.9% chance it won't), and I just remembered a perfect way to motivate myself for writing it: ScriptFrenzy :D

Gerbil117

Feb 4, 2010
isjusterin said:
Oh yes, I've got something in order in case this doesn't work out (99.9% chance it won't), and I just remembered a perfect way to motivate myself for writing it: ScriptFrenzy :D
You really gonna enter that thing? 100 pages is freaking crazy
I've seen PhD theses shorter than that

isjusterin

Jul 6, 2008
Gerbil117 said:
isjusterin said:
You really gonna enter that thing? 100 pages is freaking crazy
I've seen PhD theses shorter than that
Hmm, I did it and won it the first year it was around, and I've won NaNoWriMo three times now. I can probably do it. I don't know if it will end up being 100 pages just because I'm not going to make it any shorter or longer than what I already have in mind, but I figure it's as good a motivation as any.

And 100 pages of script is not that bad, trust me. Lot of space in there. Papers and theses are a lot more difficult to me because of the research that goes into them, not the actual length...

aeroz

Dec 14, 2008
yea once you get on a roll you can burn through alot of pages of script. Took me about 45mins to go from zero to my submission and most of that was waiting for inspiration for strip 4. Yea I tweaked it, and we took our time on the art, but scripting doesn't take nearly as long as art

Acmonion

Feb 28, 2010
My lurkerlicious existence must come to an end! Hi all.... I've been watching you... [Insert friendly, non-creepy greeting here].
The collab sounds like a fun idea. Not sure I would contribute myself, as I'm more than busy with one cartoon already, but I'd love to see how it turns out.

mynameissqrat said:
Well like it was mentioned earlier, it depends on how commited a person is to their comic/the comic their working on with other people. It's hard I know because I still need a colorest. *snip*
Colouring is fun. Do you have a link to your work?

JackShandy

Feb 27, 2010
I would love to contribute to the collab if it got going. Giving each comic-maker their own seperate contained section of the site wouldn't work, though- not only because many wouldn't have the time/inclination to keep a full comic running, but also because it'd all be separate! Cold and alone! A big melting pot of tons of different comics thrown in by whoever felt like posting something (With, of course, a search engine to find authors you particularly liked) would be awesome. People could submit a full running series or just a one-off comic to the mix. Nothing big and scary and professional.

It's worth taking account of the doomed voyages of many forum projects, of course. But there's certainly nothing to lose.

Axzarious

Feb 18, 2010
Well, my art usually takes a dip whenever I do a comic, but heres when I am allowed to do a full size illustration without having to conform to a panel-

http://axzarious.deviantart.com/art/Chaos-Redone-155663840

and

http://axzarious.deviantart.com/art/Verdict-155664103