Industry Elites Added As Judges for Webcomic Contest

hugh_godolphin

Feb 28, 2010
aeroz said:
RetroRobot said:
aeroz said:
ok
*gets out pen and paper... then remembers he has a computer and tosses them*

first is we need someone to coordinate everything. The guy to actually collect and post things. My only issue is if that guy wins he'll probably be too busy to do that. Maybe if we come up with someone and a back-up just in case.
Maybe just assume interest with everyone who's spoke up about it for now, and when we get the results, we can use this forum to co-ordinate the colab. :)
yes waiting might certainly be the best idea, but we do need one person, or a small group to actually co-ordinate everything. otherwise we will just be tossing out ideas but no one will actually be doing anything. I mean we need an order and place to post them. I know knee-jerk reaction is just to post them in the forum but thats chaotic and I think it would be far better to have the discussion on them and where they are viewable as seperate locations.

We aren't doing this just to judge one another, we need to put it in a format thats easy for readers to simply enjoy our work
Usually it'd be better to have only one writer, but i really think everyone should chip in a bit, so i think the best thing is that we (or you, i really don't know if i should participate) come up with the plot and premise together, and elect a guy to organize it and put it in script form, so there's narrative coherence.

titankore

Nov 10, 2009
Well if we do organize a website I suggest that it will focus on a main comic that we all contribute to and then also features each of our own individual comics as well. By making a website with multiple comics on it each hitting their own demographics and each updating on a different schedule we could have a pretty heavy stream of viewers.

The main comic would probably be a humor based comic like cyanide and happiness updated each day by each of us doing it in a certain order. If we can get at least 30 different artists on this we would each get a day of the month to do and we can update our own comic on our individual schedule.

The ad revenue could added up and used to
1. Maintain and upgrade site.
2. Make merchandise for comics based on popularity of comic (most popular gets first and most, least gets the least)
3.1/2 of remaining profits stays in collected bank account for future expansion/costs
4. other half is distributed to comic artists based on hits with a salary to those that actually run the site

I've taken business courses but I don't know how to build a site.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
I know I'm just a lurker and all, but if you do make a collaborative comic I'd like to play along.

Deviant Art profile: http://zzombiexiii.deviantart.com/

Chunko

Aug 2, 2009
Spinwhiz said:
Webcomic Contest Now Live!

The Escapist presents its first ever Webcomic Contest!

Beginning today, February 1st, The Escapist will be accepting submitted user-created webcomics and granting one lucky winner a grand prize of a webcomic contract with The Escapist.

If you're an artist, illustrator or talented writer and want to submit a webcomic to The Escapist's Webcomic Contest, click here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/contests/register/webcomic10] on how to proceed.

The Webcomic Contest will be accepting entries until noon on February 28th. Good luck!

Are they going to keep coming out with the stolen pixels after the new comic gets approved?

hugh_godolphin

Feb 28, 2010
titankore said:
Well if we do organize a website I suggest that it will focus on a main comic that we all contribute to and then also features each of our own individual comics as well. By making a website with multiple comics on it each hitting their own demographics and each updating on a different schedule we could have a pretty heavy stream of viewers.

The main comic would probably be a humor based comic like cyanide and happiness updated each day by each of us doing it in a certain order. If we can get at least 30 different artists on this we would each get a day of the month to do and we can update our own comic on our individual schedule.

2. Make merchandise for comics based on popularity of comic (most popular gets first and most, least gets the least)
3.1/2 of remaining profits stays in collected bank account for future expansion/costs
4. other half is distributed to comic artists based on hits with a salary to those that actually run the site

I think you're maybe a bit hasty, i think it's better if you guys focus on the basics right now.

titankore

Nov 10, 2009
Since we will also be working together on this we could also give eachother regular tips and lessons based on our individual strengths.

I vote for RetroRobot to be our acting president, and I throw my hat in the ring to create the business model... ooohh I just love making spreadsheets!!!!

toadking07

Sep 10, 2009
Woah, woah, slow down people! Comics about our contest became doing a comic jam became doing a conlab comic became someone writing a comic and everyone drawing different pages became making a website for the losers and putting all of our comics there.

I mean, I'm all for that stuff but let's not get ahead of ourselves!

aeroz

Dec 14, 2008
danieltanure said:
I think you're maybe a bit hasty, it's better if you guys focus on the basics right now.
kind of, it is something to address early on so that way you do not run into conflict.

I was also thinking about the idea of a single central story, except for one problem. Alot of people here are writers too, and might not be willing to draw someone elses story

and on a more personal note I am purely a writer, I have no artistic ability. So assuming I wasn't the writer I'd have to bow out. probably a few others too

titankore

Nov 10, 2009
danieltanure said:
titankore said:

I think you're maybe a bit hasty, i think it's better if you guys focus on the basics right now.
Speaking as a former procrastinator its important to get the ball running early or it will never happen. Speaking as someone with extensive knowledge on how a business runs this is a low risk, low cost venture that will not get us rich quick but has a high success chance if done properly!

hugh_godolphin

Feb 28, 2010
titankore said:
danieltanure said:
titankore said:

Speaking as a former procrastinator its important to get the ball running early or it will never happen. Speaking as someone with extensive knowledge on how a business runs this is a low risk, low cost venture that will not get us rich quick but has a high success chance if done properly!
Well, i mean... I do live in a country where ideas like this are always smashed some way or another along the course of their execution, usually by bullshit bureaucracy, so I learned to never be even a little ambitious.

boybokeh

Feb 27, 2010
titankore said:
danieltanure said:
titankore said:

Speaking as someone who looks very much like myself, maybe let's just concentrate on the recreational collaboration concept first.

mynameissqrat

Feb 3, 2010
boybokeh said:
titankore said:
danieltanure said:
titankore said:

Speaking as someone who looks very much like myself, maybe let's just concentrate on the recreational collaboration concept first.
I can see many ways to run an Idea like this, and is very stong, I'm just curious on how your going to filter down to only 30 people... ANOTHER contest perhaps? *Dun Dun Duuuuuuun!!*

Axzarious

Feb 18, 2010
mynameissqrat said:
boybokeh said:
titankore said:
danieltanure said:
titankore said:

I can see many ways to run an Idea like this, and is very stong, I'm just curious on how your going to filter down to only 30 people... ANOTHER contest perhaps? *Dun Dun Duuuuuuun!!*

This idea is relevant to my interests. I would also volanteer to do some custom drawing, as I need practice. I could draw a comic for a writer if they themselves cannot draw. Heck, if we had our individual comics in addition to the collaberation... well I got 3 ideas, one of which I will need to improve my own art skillz to do.

titankore

Nov 10, 2009
Well if you exclude those that won't want to do it or aren't serious about their comic to begin with you probably are down to 50-100 people. After that you then take out people that will quit or not try and your down to 20-40 people, after that you then take out those that will get pissed about not making money right away and your down to maybe 15-30 if your lucky. By the time we get to that we will be looking for more contributors.

trbomtnt

Feb 10, 2010
I'd be happy to throw stuff up on my site, but I would prefer it be rated R ,NC-17 or X, be moderately offensive but creative, and oh yeah ..not shitty! I put up my own pinups and a friends superhero cos-play stuff. http://www.turbomutants.com. Everybody owns there own stuff. put it wherever they want other than here and hopefully promote when they send a comic over. If I win the contest it wont matter cause it only takes a minute to post stuff up anyway.

toadking07

Sep 10, 2009
titankore said:
Well if you exclude those that won't want to do it or aren't serious about their comic to begin with you probably are down to 50-100 people. After that you then take out people that will quit or not try and your down to 20-40 people, after that you then take out those that will get pissed about not making money right away and your down to maybe 15-30 if your lucky. By the time we get to that we will be looking for more contributors.
I wouldn't worry about the money thing right now. I do like the idea of a site for all the "Escapist rejects" to post their on going comics though. Would be very much like that fear Shamus has of rejecting someone that continues on to make it after he rejects them.

titankore

Nov 10, 2009
we could probably make a "Bane of Shamus" tshirt
and on the back we each have a one liner we wanna say to him.

boybokeh

Feb 27, 2010
titankore said:
Dude, srsly. Stop with the talk about money. Nobody other than you has mentioned business or money. I'm personally only interested in some pressure-free, lighthearted collab with some of the cool peeps that have been F5ing this thread for the past week and a bit.

Edit: I think Shamus would probably be the first to congratulate any Escape rejects that went on to further success.