Industry Elites Added As Judges for Webcomic Contest

titankore

Nov 10, 2009
Is this a vote for your favorite contest or is it only decided by judges? I think it would be cool if they picked their top 5 favorites then have the artists make 2 or three more comics to see if they can be consistently good.

RetroRobot

Feb 11, 2010
Good luck to all!

Guess all we can do now is wait!

Hope others out there are as nervous as I am... I'd hate to be the only one shivering with anticipation! :|

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
RetroRobot said:
Hope others out there are as nervous as I am... I'd hate to be the only one shivering with anticipation! :|
That will pass in time as you wait for the deadline.... Oh. Wait. I see your point.

I have been filling my time since submission with that big interpretive dance contest over at www.PranceLikeAPanzy.com and the big "submit your best moose call" competition over at www.NotAnywhereCloseToARealContest.org . Did you guys check those out? Oh. I see. Well, you know what...don't. I don't need any more competition over there. :) I tried to cross train, but moose calls and leotards do not mix well.

And with this post, I digivolve up from Anonymous Source to Paperboy! BAM! Climbin' that ladder.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
RetroRobot said:
Good luck to all!

Guess all we can do now is wait!

Same here! I kind of botched the animation contest last year with Monster Masters (I am gonna submit 3 better cartoons this year, hopefully one of them will be good), but I hope that my comic at least get's an honorable mention. Good luck to you Mr. Retro Robot.

Eyeshock

Feb 28, 2010
I think the one thing that bothered me about this contest was just how open to interpretation the request was. While that may sound ridiculous to hear out loud when talking about an art contest - I really wish when we sat down to write our new comics we knew which sub-genre was most attractive as site content. I mean: even the "favorite" comics listed are of little help. They're all so different from one another. God help me if something like Garfield wins. Say what you will: but I hate Garfield. Man: I hope that doesn't hurt my chances. :p

Around Friday we decided our whole concept might not fit the expectations of the judges. We suddenly had a feeling that something with a "Newgrounds" style of art and "VGCats" style of humor was gonna win out above the rest. So if that's your comic, and you win, I may not have a contract here but I could be the next Ms.Cleo...Mr.Cleo.

Again: Good luck to everyone and thanks for the contest, Escapist.

titankore

Nov 10, 2009
I think its anyone's game right now. I think they will be looking as much on the longevity and potential of the author as the current artwork. I hope that everyone will keep up making comics that are new and original and that we can see them when the contest is over.

SergeXIII

Feb 7, 2010
You guys seem nervous. Just do what I do. Look into the mirror, take a deep breath, and remind yourself that "I'm a bad enough dude to win this thing."

MaTT2011

Feb 25, 2010
LACKT said:
Is it me or everyone's dropping doubt bombs before saying good luck?
I noticed that as well, hehe.

Its only natural; as we all know the stereotypical artist is filled with doubt and self-loathing...it's the source of their humor and inspiration!

Confidence comes with experience, and even then it can be elusive in a contest of this magnitude. =)

Phillip C

Sep 28, 2009
You can also stroke your ego for a while by pour yourself some wine while sitting by a fireplace and saying "I'm so much better than everybody else" until the day the winner is chosen, in which case you come crashing back down into reality and realize that there's somebody more skilled than you'll ever be and you never even had a chance to win! That's what I'm doing right now :3

o_o;

V Gray

Feb 13, 2010
I've submitted the comics, and I really dont care if i win or lose. just because it dons't win doesn't mean your comic sucks, just means you need to try again or the judge wasn't the right audience. I for one just don't find penny arcade funny at all, that comedy for you.

Oh I changed my description, to more of a far side angle.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Your right, everyone is getting to nervous. Is it against the rules to discuss the comic you've submitted? Cause if it isnt' we could all talk about our comics.

folmerkelly

Feb 24, 2010
Eyeshock said:
I think the one thing that bothered me about this contest was just how open to interpretation the request was. While that may sound ridiculous to hear out loud when talking about an art contest - I really wish when we sat down to write our new comics we knew which sub-genre was most attractive as site content. I mean: even the "favorite" comics listed are of little help. They're all so different from one another. God help me if something like Garfield wins. Say what you will: but I hate Garfield. Man: I hope that doesn't hurt my chances. :p

Around Friday we decided our whole concept might not fit the expectations of the judges. We suddenly had a feeling that something with a "Newgrounds" style of art and "VGCats" style of humor was gonna win out above the rest. So if that's your comic, and you win, I may not have a contract here but I could be the next Ms.Cleo...Mr.Cleo.

Again: Good luck to everyone and thanks for the contest, Escapist.
So what exactly would you have liked the contest to be like? "We want someone to rip off Penny Arcade for us"? ;)

I kinda like the whole openness of it all; I love watching everyone turn into a nervous wreck right about now. When I found out about the contest I figured I had to come up with something that I liked, and simply hope others (read: whoever judges this thing) like it too. Had the contest been more specific than it is, I'd probably had to end up making something less creative/ a genre I like doing less, as well as knowing all the other submissions would be doing pretty much the exact same thing as me.

Also, it's been said before, but I really hope we get to see the rest of the submissions.

Splatoon

Feb 7, 2010
MaTT2011 said:
LACKT said:
Is it me or everyone's dropping doubt bombs before saying good luck?
I noticed that as well, hehe.

Its only natural; as we all know the stereotypical artist is filled with doubt and self-loathing...it's the source of their humor and inspiration!
Thank God I'm a typical writer, and thus filled with liquor to balance that out.

aeroz

Dec 14, 2008
Well nothing is truely original, its just a matter of who does it better. Even if you came up with something independently still likely you aren't the first. That being said I do think this is too comlex for something as simple as "makes me laugh". Need to take into consideration things like longevity of the comic, which to a degree is hard to figure out. They dont know if Joe Everyman's comic will continue to be good after his first month. Funniest also isn't the most entertaining. My theory is that little extra bit we submitted with the comic will play a role in who gets picked. Four comics doesn't say much, especially since you'd want to show what your comic is like rather then establish the setting. If they are random strips, then that goes back to the consistancy thing. With those I doubt it will factor in as much

Ritzbot said:
aeroz said:
wow alot more last minute entries then I thought. looks like there were more in the past 24 hours then rest of the month combined
I expected this to happen. As long as there is time to make improvements, it might as well be used to do so. Next time a contest like this comes around, though, I'm going to make sure my comic is mostly done before I start experimenting with new techniques.
yea but there is a differance between taking your time and rushing. I realize some people only found out about it a few days ago, but their chances are hurt by time restraints. We could have gotten ours out in two days, but we spent about three weeks going over character designs, layout, concept sketches, ect. That being said we intentionally took our time, and at several stages did nothing to make sure we were satisfied and wouldn't regret what we made.

Though I do regret the names. Like many webcomics I used our handles for character names, but I meant them as place holders because names are a weakness of mine. That ended up being what we went with. It concerns me because its a staple of the "two guys on a couch" genre of webcomic, which mine is not.

KylHu

Apr 8, 2009
Submitted my stuff (hope everything came in fine). T'was a fun project -- good luck to all you other comic strippers out there.