Industry Elites Added As Judges for Webcomic Contest

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
Doc Cannon said:
Clankenbeard said:
I showed my strips to a guy at work who is not a gamer and his response was "What the hell am I looking at?!? What does the title mean? I get the boobs joke. That's all I get. Is anybody going to get this?" The comics submitted here had a selective target demographic--not general widespread appeal.
Yeah, my mother asked me if I could show her the strips. I guess she regretted that when she saw them and all she could say was "Such pretty colours!".
Doc, when it's all said and done I will glady challenge you to a one-on-one first annual chromatic-tathalon of vivid colorotismopoly. (For added coolness, the competition will be held on Jupiter's largest moon.) I'm bettin' that my colors are more vivid than yours. I am colorblind, so there are no subtle hues to anything I do. ...And gradient fills be damned!

Um, your mom cannot be the judge. Because even if mine was better she would be all, "I think I like them both equally the same." to spare your feelings. Of course she might be reeling at that point from the exploded cones in her eyes after seeing our works side by side.

BRING THE HUE!...I guess to Ganymede.

AniMerrill

Feb 13, 2010
William O said:
Search the main contest pages and you can find the posting of the judges.

I too am planning on continuing no matter what happens...appearing at comic conventions, running a website for whatever comic I have going on, general shameless internet plugging.

And I certainly agree that the Escapist would look smashing on a resume.
Thank you good sir! And now I wanna post my other comic... I don't really know how though...

LACKT

Feb 17, 2010
gnarwhalstudio said:
MaTT2011 said:
Excellent examples all around, very cool stuff =)

Also, the idea about "post a frame then someone else make the next" does sound REALLY fun...given the appropriate organization that could be a good time. =)
Nedroid's Anthony Clark and Potter Puppet Pals' creator Neil's little sister Emmy Cicierega have a back-and-forth, they call it Laserpony and it is hilarious.
http://binsybaby.livejournal.com/597341.html

If you don't know who these people are:
http://nedroid.com
http://emmyc.com <----Emmy is a FANTASTIC illustrator.

Also, I'm pretty sure I'm not going to continue my submission. I have other projects I need to finish and a commitment without some kind of compensation is unattractive to me. It sounds shallow, but I have work to do; I'm trying to get back into school. If I'm not able to get this contract, I'm going to attend school in Japan. If I DO land the contract, I'll have work for while I'm in Japan.

Still also, I met Ryan North at MoCCA and SPX last year. He is one kickass dude.
Wow!That was really fun!

Dizko

Feb 25, 2010
Lysgaard said:
Hey guys, since you have the rights to your comics, and everyone wants to see the entries, what stops you from posting them yourself?
This is what I'll be doing, I already run a twice a week webcomic as it is (nothing too special) so if I don't win, the comics I did specifically for this contest will just go into my normal rotation. Actually, it would give me a couple weeks off haha.

I think what a lot of people don't realize is that a successful webcomic gets updated consistently. While great art is fantastic, it's really all about getting comics done in a timely fashion having constant fresh content. Sometimes overdoing the art isn't a sustainable approach, it's really not effective use of time to do detailed drawings with accurate lighting/shading etc. Perhaps, the judges will make note of that and having a very art heavy submission could be a negative thing. Since this contest is about being able to create quality content, in a timely manner, those that have simplified their art while making it look good, might have an advantage over more detailed art. Just a way to look at it for those that are worried about their art being too simple or not as good as some of the more elaborate submissions.

LACKT

Feb 17, 2010
Dizko said:
Lysgaard said:
Hey guys, since you have the rights to your comics, and everyone wants to see the entries, what stops you from posting them yourself?
This is what I'll be doing, I already run a twice a week webcomic as it is (nothing too special) so if I don't win, the comics I did specifically for this contest will just go into my already rotation. Actually, it would give me a couple weeks off haha.

I think what a lot of people don't realize is that a successful webcomic gets updated consistently. While great art is fantastic, it's really all about getting comics done in a timely fashion having constant fresh content. Sometimes overdoing the art isn't a sustainable approach, it's really not effective use of time to do detailed drawings with accurate lighting/shading etc. Perhaps, the judges will make note of that and having a very art heavy submission could be a negative thing. Since this contest is about being able to create quality content, in a timely manner, those that have simplified their art while making it look good, might have an advantage over more detailed art. Just a way to look at it for those that are worried about their art being too simple or not as good as some of the more elaborate submissions.
Well,thats for the long run that would be in the test of time...The Judging is for now,what everyone brought up to plate.

Zemalac

Apr 22, 2008
LACKT said:
Dizko said:
Lysgaard said:
This is what I'll be doing, I already run a twice a week webcomic as it is (nothing too special) so if I don't win, the comics I did specifically for this contest will just go into my already rotation. Actually, it would give me a couple weeks off haha.

Well,thats for the long run that would be in the test of time...The Judging is for now.
Longevity is one of the attributes they're judging, actually. If you prove them wrong about you later, you'll probably lose the contract, but if they don't think you can keep up what you're doing you'll never get said contract in the first place.

Dizko

Feb 25, 2010
Zemalac said:
LACKT said:
Dizko said:
Lysgaard said:

Well,thats for the long run that would be in the test of time...The Judging is for now.
Longevity is one of the attributes they're judging, actually. If you prove them wrong about you later, you'll probably lose the contract, but if they don't think you can keep up what you're doing you'll never get said contract in the first place.
Exactly, which is why I chose not to do a "story" involving characters. Personally I find that doing comics based on what's going on in the now vs using reoccurring characters is a much more sustainable approach. Plus, by doing it that way you can very timely about making fun of certain things. I almost always do my comic only a couple days prior to the day I post it, that way the content is really fresh and relevant. Hopefully, that gives me an edge, but now we'll have to wait until the 8th =(

At the very least this comic has gotten me interested in the community here, whereas before I just simply came here to read some articles and watch Yahtzee.

titankore

Nov 10, 2009
Only 5-9 days until they announce the winner... Could they at least announce when they are going to announce the winner. The anticipation burns or is that sunlight?

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
Decoy Doctorpus said:
Here's a question. Is anyone going to continue with their comic submission even if they don't win?

I think I just might.
I think I'll probably end up incorporating the characters from my entry into the comic strip I already post up on my dA page;

http://kmadden2004.deviantart.com/gallery/?6561760#Beyond-Reason

Since they cover very similar ground, and I used the same art style (I know, I know, I went to the Seth MacFarlance school of cartoon creation), they'd all probably work well together...

folmerkelly

Feb 24, 2010
Dizko said:
I would hope this is bullshit though. I mean if a contest clearly states winners will have to submit two comics every week, then people should submit something of which they KNOW they can deliver what is asked of them. I doubt that the judges would say "well, this one looks awesome, we better not give them the job, let's take this shitty-looking one instead because it's easier to draw."

By the way, just a thought here, but I've seen a lot of you talking about using your submissions anyway if you don't win, and some talk of doing a comic jam or whatever... wouldn't it be an idea to start a collective site? I mean all the entries will be involving gaming/ gaming culture anyway so there's some common ground there, could be cool for people to have one hub to go to whenever they want a dose of gaming humor. I've no idea if this has been done or not, but it seems like a nifty idea? You could even spin off of the contest, called it Rejected Escape or something ;)

LACKT

Feb 17, 2010
folmerkelly said:
Dizko said:
I would hope this is bullshit though. I mean if a contest clearly states winners will have to submit two comics every week, then people should submit something of which they KNOW they can deliver what is asked of them. I doubt that the judges would say "well, this one looks awesome, we better not give them the job, let's take this shitty-looking one instead because it's easier to draw."

By the way, just a thought here, but I've seen a lot of you talking about using your submissions anyway if you don't win, and some talk of doing a comic jam or whatever... wouldn't it be an idea to start a collective site? I mean all the entries will be involving gaming/ gaming culture anyway so there's some common ground there, could be cool for people to have one hub to go to whenever they want a dose of gaming humor. I've no idea if this has been done or not, but it seems like a nifty idea? You could even spin off of the contest, called it Rejected Escape or something ;)
Yeah we can be the Escapees.

Screw_it

Jan 21, 2010
Why do I get the feeling there's gonna be backlash and closet resentment towards the winner?

And while it's being pondered, is there any reason behind all this pointless speculation on the judging? Just curious because belaboring over something you have no sway in is lame.

Here. One quote by Billy Shakespeare that says everything about a comic strip: "Brevity is the soul of wit".

Okay? That's it. None of this over-analyzing is necessary now.

Aug 25, 2009
I'd sorta thought I maybe had a ghost of a chance, but with some actual webcomic artists who I read and enjoy judging it, the inevitability of failure has crashed around me.

Ah well, twas a nice dream.

LACKT

Feb 17, 2010
Screw_it said:
Why do I get the feeling there's gonna be backlash and closet resentment towards the winner?

And while it's being pondered, is there any reason behind all this pointless speculation on the judging? Just curious because belaboring over something you have no sway in is lame.

Here. One quote by Billy Shakespeare that says everything about a comic strip: "Brevity is the soul of wit".

Expect some loser with a messiah complex writing/whining about it in Kotaku!

MelasZepheos said:
I'd sorta thought I maybe had a ghost of a chance, but with some actual webcomic artists who I read and enjoy judging it, the inevitability of failure has crashed around me.

Ah well, twas a nice dream.
Aww,don't worry about it,Charley,someday you would win the golden ticket !

Screw_it

Jan 21, 2010
LACKT said:
Screw_it said:

Expect some loser with a messiah complex writing about it in Kotaku!
Hey FYI, I only read Gawker and comment on Deadspin. But even that's a rare occasion, since the knicks are playin like crap.

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
Screw_it said:
None of this over-analyzing is necessary now.
True. Perhaps the Escapist staff are perusing this very thread in an attempt to further evaluate the maturity, art and humor level of the contestants. Could it be possible that posts here will become tie-breakers? Ponder that. (Yeah, I know. Not likely.)

RetroRobot

Feb 11, 2010
Clankenbeard said:
Screw_it said:
None of this over-analyzing is necessary now.
True. Perhaps the Escapist staff are perusing this very thread in an attempt to further evaluate the maturity, art and humor level of the contestants. Could it be possible that posts here will become tie-breakers? Ponder that. (Yeah, I know. Not likely.)
Maturity?
Humour level?
Wow, surely not going to be any of us then...

Also, a tie break situation that no one is informed of would cause mass riots and looting.
Nobody wants mass riots and looting...
Not over a web comic...

Well maybe a little looting.

But only if it's REALLY necessary.