Industry Elites Added As Judges for Webcomic Contest

Coelasquid

Feb 16, 2010
http://megaswf.com/view/ba84e885b009c7e42efdbbb3a3f26106.html

In retrospect, maybe it wasn't such a good idea to work with a character whose eyebrows connect to his beard and scalp.

boybokeh

Feb 27, 2010
Coelasquid said:
http://megaswf.com/view/ba84e885b009c7e42efdbbb3a3f26106.html

In retrospect, maybe it wasn't such a good idea to work with a character whose eyebrows connect to his beard and scalp.
My inner fanboy just ejaculated.

Phillip C

Sep 28, 2009
I think you did a fine job with Ganon there actually. More of a challenge for ya, right?

Space Jawa

Feb 2, 2010
gnarwhalstudio said:
http://twitpic.com/168ydu Since everyone loves charts. Via Meredith Gran :D
Sweet! It's another way to ambiguously give hints about what our entries are about!

I know mine falls high up on the Surreal end of the scale, and possibly somewhere on the other end of OotS on the horizontal axis. A little hard to tell when I can't read what's opposite "Everyone Welcome", though. It may just fall in that general quadrant.

GamerPhate

Aug 22, 2008
Phillip C said:
So, you want two guys on the couch humor do ya's? Well here ya go!

I wish it was this easy! I also wish that I didn't find this hilarious because I'm going to be banned and I'm going to hell shortly!

Edit: Please don't ban me!
See, abortion is still legal in this country.
And I guess they live in a single story home it seems.

GamerPhate

Aug 22, 2008
Welcome to Call Tech Support the web series I made for the Escapist Magazine contest. It is about an IT guy that gets layed off from work and fills the time gaming as he searches for new work. While he is away, the company server notices this, and decides to start doing some things on it's own. What will happen next? Will our hero ever find work?

(I spent the last year of my life researching the character in this series so I could totally get inside the mind of the character. But also seriously, please vote for my comic, I gave up on finding new IT jobs, let me be creative instead :)

(#1 awesome that I totally misread that posting it after the fact would remove it from the contest. However, I would make a re-debute version that had not been seen had they still decided this direction to go)

(#2 Due to the failure of point of number 1 I guess the series will die, very unfortunate but my fault. I had hoped a mod would have deleted this for me real fast so that it wouldn't be removed from the contest (and still hope they might) but yeah if I can't make a living doing this, I got to do something. The bills don't pay themselves, and as the cartoon shows, that's kinda my life story at the momement. Oh well, good luck to who ever wins I guess.

titankore

Nov 10, 2009
Kinda funny but your style could use a lot of cleaning up... oh yeah you've just been disqualified.

aeroz

Dec 14, 2008
couch? thats so cliche. We use a sofa, completely different

somehow

Though seriously, I dont know if mine is unique enough. Since its about two playtesters, which kinda hits the middle ground between two gamers, and two game designers.

toadking07

Sep 10, 2009
Sadly, my comic did not involve a couch or two main gamer guys, so I guess my comic will be so far out there they won't even consider it. Oh well, back to working at McD's to pay for college!

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
titankore said:
... oh yeah you've just been disqualified.
No formatting rules violations though! Single 300x300 Logo + Four 650x650 Panels = Perfect Submission! Nonetheless, if The Escapist wants to play hardball with the "keep it secret" rules, the contest is now down to 345 total entries. That is to say unless GamerPhate is just now officially submitting his/her comic. Then it's still 346. Good luck everyone!

My comic was called Mobius Strip and each 650x1280 four pane comic strip was drawn physically twisted so that you could only really see the first panel and 50% of the second. The remaining two panes faced away from the viewer. This saves incredibly on drawing time and writing as the viewer is left to concoct their own infinitely funny punchline from my setups. It's genius! There's only a couch and two gamers if you want there to be.

Wow. I wish I wasn't such a liar.

aeroz

Dec 14, 2008
now that I think about it, saying both gamers and a couch, and game designer model are looked down upon seems abit counter to what they said before. They wanted us to do comics that appeal to gamers and gaming, but not do a comic about gamers or gaming. The most logical way to appeal to the target audience is to write about them or the people that interest them. It is entirely reasonable to do those formats considering the already mentioned criteria. Plus just because its something that follows a trend doesn't mean its the same. Just the tone of the humor and minor quirks of the characters can lead to radically different stories. Heck Movie Bob recently did an article about it.

Steagony

Nov 20, 2009
aeroz said:
now that I think about it, saying both gamers and a couch, and game designer model are looked down upon seems abit counter to what they said before. They wanted us to do comics that appeal to gamers and gaming, but not do a comic about gamers or gaming. The most logical way to appeal to the target audience is to write about them or the people that interest them. It is entirely reasonable to do those formats considering the already mentioned criteria. Plus just because its something that follows a trend doesn't mean its the same. Just the tone of the humor and minor quirks of the characters can lead to radically different stories. Heck Movie Bob recently did an article about it.
You can sugar-coat it all you want, but it doesn't change the fact that you're A ROBOT, YOU'RE A SHEEP.