Industry Elites Added As Judges for Webcomic Contest

deano_inabiskit

Nov 13, 2009
While i'm not sure i have this in the bag, is there any way of passing on any comments/opinions from the judges to the entrants themselves? perhaps via PM? I would be very interested in what they think of my strips.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
deano_inabiskit said:
While i'm not sure i have this in the bag, is there any way of passing on any comments/opinions from the judges to the entrants themselves? perhaps via PM? I would be very interested in what they think of my strips.
For 346 different strips? I wouldn't count on it mate.

aeroz

Dec 14, 2008
Phillip C said:
Sorta, I'm hopeful to at least make it into the top 10. Might actually be the next best thing to winning when it comes to showing off your work elsewhere.
Agreed, though no garentee they'd show a top ten. But I think we all want to see a few other of the top entries so its reasonable that they will
deano_inabiskit said:
yes, but doubt they'd allow it. Might be viewed as an attempt at influencing the judges. Besides there are hundreds of entries. I doubt they want several of the creators bugging them about their opinion on the comic. So at the very least I'd suggest waiting until after the contest to entertain such ideas. Plus if you win then they'll probably tell you their thoughts on it themselves

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
Fuzzy_Pickles said:
Everyone loves ol' Johnny M.

God, it's worse than you think... my dad is actually John Madden! Not the football commentator, or the film director, but he is most certainly a John Madden, for sooth.

Cool art style, my friend, and funny to boot!:D

Mr Blowfish

Feb 28, 2010
I've been resisting posting in this trend, but since people have been posting examples of their work I can't fight the siren's call anymore. Here's a comic I did a long time ago, the ones I did for this contest uses a similar, more refined, style. My comic is in no way about 2 guys or couches of any kind. It uses very off the wall humor, you're never gonna know what's gonna happen next.

aeroz

Dec 14, 2008
well thankfully I'm not doing the artwork, but this was basically the only comic I ever did 100% by myself.
http://aerozord.deviantart.com/art/Crappy-comic-by-me-91378391

so can show my writing atleast. There was another one but it was well below my standards and a massive pain to draw. Yes my artistic talent is really so low that pieces of crap like this take me a good hour of hard work

toadking07

Sep 10, 2009
aeroz said:
Though if not accepted we talked and decided to go with something different. I had an idea for a horror story about decending deeper into hellish ruins lined with creatures that, no matter how many times they kill you, you keep coming back. And each time you do that little voice in the back of your head gets just a tiny bit louder.
O_O I want to make that a video game.

Phillip C said:
Sorta, I'm hopeful to at least make it into the top 10. Might actually be the next best thing to winning when it comes to showing off your work elsewhere.
Yeah, been itching to show my comic off on other sites.

deano_inabiskit said:
Actually Shamus said in his blag he might go over the winning comic and the other entries and compare them. It might not address your comic directly but it'll probably let you weigh your against the winner and the losers.

aeroz

Dec 14, 2008
toadking07 said:
aeroz said:
Though if not accepted we talked and decided to go with something different. I had an idea for a horror story about decending deeper into hellish ruins lined with creatures that, no matter how many times they kill you, you keep coming back. And each time you do that little voice in the back of your head gets just a tiny bit louder.
I actually submitted the idea to a video game company about a year ago. I didn't even get a rejection letter.

toadking07

Sep 10, 2009
aeroz said:
toadking07 said:
aeroz said:
... And each time you do that little voice in the back of your head gets just a tiny bit louder.
I actually submitted the idea to a video game company about a year ago. I didn't even get a rejection letter.
I'm a future Game Designer, (going to school for it and all), we will someday make that into a game. At least into a part of a game.

aeroz

Dec 14, 2008
in that case PM me about it and we can talk about an arrangement. I am going into business for simular reasons and as I am sure you realize you need ALOT of people to work on it, and if you really do like the idea, also see why I wish to be a creative director/writer

LACKT

Feb 17, 2010
I already designed a game,sucks that I lost to a Myspace/facebook chump through voting.At least a demo of my game was made,somewhat...

JackShandy

Feb 27, 2010
Oh man... 24 pages of replies, and only 1 winner! A lot of people are going to have to be very disappointed...

My hope is that The Escapist will be flooded by so many incredible fantasic entries that they won't be able to choose, and will be forced to take the only concievable course of action: Give everyone who entered a million dollars!

It is a slim, slim hope.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
JackShandy said:
Oh man... 24 pages of replies, and only 1 winner! A lot of people are going to have to be very disappointed...

My hope is that The Escapist will be flooded by so many incredible fantasic entries that they won't be able to choose, and will be forced to take the only concievable course of action: Give everyone who entered a million dollars!

It is a slim, slim hope.
There are going to be more then one winner, you know that right?

isjusterin

Jul 6, 2008
Mr.Mattress said:
JackShandy said:

It is a slim, slim hope.
There are going to be more then one winner, you know that right?
I suspected this due to the ambiguity of the 'prize' on the contest page, but is there anywhere that this is said specifically?

Also, I'm just hoping that being in LA for Spring Break will offset imminent depression upon losing :D

titankore

Nov 10, 2009
Really? Is there going to be more then one winner? How many 2? 3? I'm pretty sure it's just one but I think the most they would give would be 3 and even then they would fire the one with the least views after a couple months.

Steagony

Nov 20, 2009
titankore said:
Really? Is there going to be more then one winner? How many 2? 3? I'm pretty sure it's just one but I think the most they would give would be 3 and even then they would fire the one with the least views after a couple months.
I think the absolute winner gets the contract, while the other two get various prizes or whatever.

folmerkelly

Feb 24, 2010
I think the contest page states something like, "no matter who wins, we are looking for people to contribute content". I've no idea what that might entail, whether that means multiple winners in a strict sense, or just that they'll reach out to anyone they thought had a decent submission to do something for them, or what. Wait and see, people, it's only one more week or so.

pooryohei

Oct 22, 2008
There has been nothing saying that there will be more than one winner officially. The only thing that hinted at that was in a forum post by Spinwhiz where he wrote the word winners, and that could have easily been a typo.

PizzaBagel

Feb 13, 2010
Does anyone know if I'm allowed to use my entries now that the contest is closed? I don't want to void my entry.

boybokeh

Feb 27, 2010
I want that Madden comic to win, I've decided. So. Damn. Awesome.

I've pretty much given up on winning, which in turn has inspired me to carry on with my cookiecutter concept anyway. Now that I've taken the psychological surrender route, I'm crazy-anxious to see what the other entries were like and what the winner is going to be. Actually, I've been intrigued since the beginning -- but I'm sure it's going to be ace.

Much love to peeps in this thread, for all the internal commentary on the thread. And the internal commentary on the internal commentary of the thread. Some people should run with the concept of webcomics about webcomics :D

Edit: That MovieBob article is great. Really sums up a lot of my feelings on the subject. Also, as someone who spends far too much time on TV Tropes, I feel the observation about some tropers missing the point is spot-on.