InFamous Comic Book Required Reading Before InFamous 2

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
InFamous Comic Book Required Reading Before InFamous 2

An InFamous comic book series will bridge the story gap between InFamous and InFamous 2, but whose story?

Cole made some changes in his life after InFamous 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Infamous-Playstation-3/dp/B000ZK7ZOE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292945879&sr=8-1]. DC Comics and Sucker Punch have announced an upcoming collaboration that will see Cole flattened out and placed on a newsstand.

It probably won't explain why Cole originally became cutting his hair [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101395-E3-2010-inFamous-2-Trailer-Frostily-Expands-Coles-Powers] and burning his wardrobe?

The InFamous comic book series will span six issues and show what Cole and his acquaintances had to go through in their efforts to save Empire City. We apparently already know it didn't go well, because Cole is forced to flee to New Marais in InFamous 2. Still, the comic will show why it didn't go so well, and "reveal sinister motives, dark secrets, and introduce a new threat to Cole and all of mankind," according to Sony. It'll be written by William Harms and illustrated by Eric Nguyen, with cover art by Doug Mahnke.

Having played and loved InFamous, a game that makes the choice to be good or evil integral, I can see how this comic series will be a problem for around half of the franchise's audience. Unlike a game, a comic book cannot give players two choices, unless it ends up having an upside-down cover on the reverse side and is two stories in one.

The accompanying cover art shows Cole with his "good" powers, so evidently the Cole found in the comic book will be the nice version. Though the book is said to lead into InFamous 2, if you were a jerk in InFamous it could be a huge disconnect. Also, how will it handle the game's major choice at the end that had sweeping consequences for Cole himself?

It might be just a comic book, but InFamous highlights the issue with creating games that allow for choice and attempting to merge them with linear media. But hey, it's an InFamous comic book, and that could be pretty cool anyway. The first issue will be released in March 2011.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Well it kind of fits since it is a Super Hero game. :D Can't wait to read.

As for the moral choices, it probably follows the best ending and choices.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
In regards to the news thread title, nothing outside of the game should be required to explain anything inside of the game.

Still, as long as it's stand-alone and not actually required reading (which Halo reportedly has a lot of trouble with: "well if you'd have read the books you'd know that...") then I don't take issue with this sort of thing.

twm1709

Nov 19, 2009
Maybe they could release 2 minis. Good Cole and Evil Cole. It'd be pretty interesting to have infamous2 do the "Mass effect thing" and let you carry your choices to the new game.

XJ-0461

Mar 9, 2009
Hmmm. I liked inFamous, and I like comics, but I don't know about this. One, because it's hard to get brand new comics around where I live, and two, because I don't think that tie in stuff should be "required" to get the story of the main peice of media. If there's an integral plot twist for the franchise, it needs to happen in thegames themselves, not tie in comics.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
I'm sorry, but I couldn't read this article all the way through. That image is just so distracting bad. I mean, what's up with his waist? Is he popping out of a magic lamp or going down the drain?

But I will say this: bad marketing is bad. This is like telling people they need to read all the Showcase Presents: Superman books before watching the latest movie.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Woodsey said:
Still, as long as it's stand-alone and not actually required reading (which Halo reportedly has a lot of trouble with: "well if you'd have read the books you'd know that...") then I don't take issue with this sort of thing.
The comic bridging Halo 2 and Halo 3 actually left me with even more questions. I was even more confused about the timeline between games after reading than before.

As such, more than a little cautious about this one too.

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
Woodsey said:
In regards to the news thread title, nothing outside of the game should be required to explain anything inside of the game.

i find that weird since i played all the games and only read one comic and two novels and i knew what was going on. i didn't have to read anything else. :/

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Sarah Kerrigan said:
Woodsey said:

i find that weird since i played all the games and only read one comic and two novels and i knew what was going on. i didn't have to read anything else. :/
"Only" one comic and two novels?

You're joking, right?

Shameless

Jun 28, 2010
makes sense, Infamous looked like something you read in a comic book, I've seen worse comic tie-ins.

Jkudo

Aug 17, 2010
XJ-0461 said:
Hmmm. I liked inFamous, and I like comics, but I don't know about this. One, because it's hard to get brand new comics around where I live, and two, because I don't think that tie in stuff should be "required" to get the story of the main peice of media. If there's an integral plot twist for the franchise, it needs to happen in thegames themselves, not tie in comics.
I don't think anything is required. It bridges the story between 1 and 2. It is probably as required as the prequel is before playing Infamous. Infamous 2 is when he comes to new Marias and his goals are clear, but the comic is just the events leading up to him leaving. It doesn't seem required.

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
InFamous was a well done game and I loved the graphic novel cutscenes. I think it'll be nice to see how the comic book turns out.

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
I'll get it when it gets collected into one book. Although the description makes it sound like inFamous 2 will start in New Marais, when I'm really hoping we see the Beast's arrival in the actual game. Starting the game to a quick description of "oh yeah, Cole got beaten up. So we're here now instead" would be awful.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
I still gotta go through InFamous... and get a PS3... and a job... and finish Christmas shopping.

The comic is gonna have to wait.

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
Woodsey said:
Sarah Kerrigan said:
Woodsey said:

You're joking, right?
no sir im not.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Sarah Kerrigan said:
Woodsey said:
Sarah Kerrigan said:
Woodsey said:

You're joking, right?
no sir im not.
But you're trying to argue against my point when you've already read 3 pieces of literature on the subject, and then saying you didn't have to read anything else - do you not see the issue in that?