inFAMOUS: Second Son Review - The Good Son

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
Trishbot said:

(E3 on Top, Retail on Bottom)

To me, it looks BETTER than the E3 build!
Honestly, this doesn't look like a visual downgrade at all, just different TV settings. I can't really see any difference in detail, except that the lower one has a few more lights planted in the background.
The lightning is much better in the final build. There's also additional details and geometry in the final version (such as Delsin's jacket having buttons near the sleeve, more stuff in the background such as an added watchtower, a much better draw distance, better surface reflections, better ambient occlusion and shadows...). This is far more than just TV settings. They re-lit, rearranged, and improved the whole scene. It's an improvement over the E3 version, the total opposite of a downgrade.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
I found Infamous leagues better the Prototype and I'm really hoping that this game still has what made the first two good and isn't just catered more to your taste.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Question. Does this game every explain how there are any Conduits?

MASSIVE inFamous 2 spoiler

After the good ending in inFamous 2--which I'm assuming is the official endings, since it says that there are barely any Conduits left--there shouldn't be any of these guys running around. Did the mutation just spring up again or are we told that Cole's sacrifice wasn't as complete as it said it was in the 2nd game?

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Sniper Team 4 said:
Question. Does this game every explain how there are any Conduits?

MASSIVE inFamous 2 spoiler

After the good ending in inFamous 2--which I'm assuming is the official endings, since it says that there are barely any Conduits left--there shouldn't be any of these guys running around. Did the mutation just spring up again or are we told that Cole's sacrifice wasn't as complete as it said it was in the 2nd game?
I'm guessing the latter. I don't like it but I don't think it ever explicitly said that

Cole's sacrifice completely eradicated the conduits.

maxben

Jun 9, 2010
I'm sorry, but I am conditioned to believe that 3.5 stars means it is unplayable crap.

/sarcasm

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
antidonkey said:
While I liked the first Infamous, Prototype was more entertaining. However, I've yet to play either of the sequels. 2nd son looks pretty damn good but it's not a system seller for me. I'm sure it'll be one of the first games I get but I must still wait until something more appealing comes out.
inFAMOUS 2 is superb, really build on the first and has a pretty good story line with some memorable characters (The protagonist Bertrand being a highlight for me)

Oh and I don't care what any one says, I like Cole, the chemistry between him and Zeke made the second game!

VinLAURiA

Dec 25, 2008
Good to hear the series is still good. I loved the first two and while I agree with Yahtzee that inFAMOUS 2 had enough closure that a third isn't really necessary, I don't mind there being another if it's executed well enough, which it sounds like it has been.

Shame it's only on PS4, though I appreciate what the system does for the game and considering it's a flagship Sony series, I can't really expect much else. It's just that I can't justify buying another system for one interesting exclusive when I'm already saving up for a Wii U. I guess if someone I know gets a PS4 down the line, I'll borrow theirs like I did a friend's PS3 when I played the first two.

Hell, maybe once streaming PS4 games on PSNow becomes a thing, I'll see what devices I can get it on.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Trishbot said:
Actually, I think the talk of "visual downgrades" was, thankfully in THIS case... FALSE!

I've been jaded after Aliens: Colonial Marines, Watch Dogs, and Dark Souls.
But... look at this:

(E3 on Top, Retail on Bottom)

To me, it looks BETTER than the E3 build!

I'm with you there, can't even tell much about what's going on in the former picture.

OT: This looks like a pretty interesting game. The environments look gorgeous and so does the quality of the motion capture.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Haven't read the review yet but I'm am deathly afraid, since all this years supposed big games have been dalliances into the fields of meh. Really hoping that inFamous justify's my mothers purchase.

EDIT: I'm okay with this and pretty much what I was expecting, but Jim SPOILERS. Didn't know what the third power was, sounds nifty, but hey.

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
So... This is supposedly the best game of the series, and it get's 3,5/5? Wow Jim, I didn't follow you in your Destructoid years, but did you really thought the first two games were average at best? Geez, I'm almost scared to play this one, because you did like this one, and the more I see of your reviews the more I feel that our gaming tastes are on the completely different ends of the spectrum...

Oh well, nevermind. I loved the first two games. I have a platinum trophy in both, even though I usually don't care about them, so this was (and still is, getting my copy tomorrow) an insta-buy for me no matter if it would get 1/10 or 10/10... Especially since my PS4 started crying from the lack of use after I finished AC IV: Black Flag.

Ham Blitz

May 28, 2009
And suddenly, just like that, I want a PS4.
That gameplay during the review looked rather entertaining.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
TheMadDoctorsCat said:
Hope there's a PC port at some point in the future... this does look really good.
It's a Sony game, they wont be porting it ever.

OT: Thanks for the review Jim, I got a message saying my copy was waiting and EB and was just waiting to see what reviewers think before I pick it up or cancel it, glad to hear it's the former :)

el_kabong

Shark Rodeo Champion
Mar 18, 2010
Wait, so you're telling me that the neon powers will essentially let me play out my fantasies of being a gender-swapped Jubilee? SOLD!

Seriously, though, excellent review. I was already strongly leaning towards buying this, but I think I'll move from maybe pile to the surely column.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
If anybody else had written this article, the score would have been 4.5 or 5 stars. Not at all a complaint though and I'm actually kind of surprised by how few people seem to mind the score being 3.5...Anyway, stupid numerical rating system aside, THIS is one of the games I was waiting for. Now that it's out there are...well it's the second game I want that I can only get on the PS4. I really liked inFamous but Delsin being so damn happy to have his powers is the most refreshing thing I've seen in gaming for a while. Once I do eventually get a PS4, I'll likely grab this to go with it. Great review Jimmothy, Thank God for you!

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
Shoggoth2588 said:
If anybody else had written this article, the score would have been 4.5 or 5 stars. Not at all a complaint though and I'm actually kind of surprised by how few people seem to mind the score being 3.5...Anyway, stupid numerical rating system aside, THIS is one of the games I was waiting for. Now that it's out there are...well it's the second game I want that I can only get on the PS4. I really liked inFamous but Delsin being so damn happy to have his powers is the most refreshing thing I've seen in gaming for a while. Once I do eventually get a PS4, I'll likely grab this to go with it. Great review Jimmothy, Thank God for you!
Fanboys will always rage one way or another when it comes to reviews, but I'm pretty sure most gamers at this point have kinda given up and become sick of it. You can play your Titanfall, I can play my Second Son, and I'm pretty sure we can all be happy.

As for Jim's review itself, he did say in the beginning that he never really got into the Infamous series. You always know something will be swayed in a direction when reviews begin with 'I always loved this series' or 'I could never get into this series'. I actually appreciate Jim's honesty, but I also know that means my opinion of it will be a star higher by default, since I really like the series.

I'm pretty sure Sucker Punch knew they weren't going to make many new fans with Second Son, and looked to make the fans happy while trying a few new things out. Sounds like they did that, working on perfecting new powers, a new engine, and a new city while leaving the gameplay itself familiar, including some of the series' annoyances. Infamous is a sandbox series that tells a VERY specific story, so it can't be GTA or even Assassin's Creed, and people need to understand that.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I was hoping to pick this up at midnight, but the store won't open for it. They have over 50 preorders! Feels kinda lame.

Kinda surprised you only gave this a 3.5, though, Jim. I'm not questioning your judgement, but from how you seemed to be talking I was expecting a solid 4 or 4.5.

Shoggoth2588 said:
You know I agree with you on just liking that Delsin likes his powers. I vividly remember a scene I've seen where his brother asks him if there have been any complications. Delsin stops and thinks saying, "Yeah... There... Nope. This is pretty freaking awesome." I liked Cole just fine, but the fact that Delsin enjoys his powers is not disappointing.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Saltyk said:
I was hoping to pick this up at midnight, but the store won't open for it. They have over 50 preorders! Feels kinda lame.

Kinda surprised you only gave this a 3.5, though, Jim. I'm not questioning your judgement, but from how you seemed to be talking I was expecting a solid 4 or 4.5.

Shoggoth2588 said:
You know I agree with you on just liking that Delsin likes his powers. I vividly remember a scene I've seen where his brother asks him if there have been any complications. Delsin stops and thinks saying, "Yeah... There... Nope. This is pretty freaking awesome." I liked Cole just fine, but the fact that Delsin enjoys his powers is not disappointing.
That's OK, Salty. My store had just under 70 preorders (my own collector's edition included) and I have to wait for 10am to get my copy. Apparently, 75 is the magic number.

OT: As for the review score, I like that it's a 7/10. Feels like an honest assessment - a good game bordering on greatness, but not quite there. Though I have to agree with what Yahtzee said years(?) ago, "You can't apply a simple numerical score to something as complex as an opinion and have it work." I paraphrased, obviously, but the general point stands.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
SO how much of the last two games' story do I have to know about for this one? There are more than one Superhu- I mean "Conduit" since Cole McGrath? It's like some nutter was just giving away superpowers!

Anyway, between the two, I find the infamous series more appealing than prototype's, especially regarding main characters.

disgruntledgamer

Mar 6, 2012
So it's a flop than? And yes I consider 70% a flop when the first was rated much higher.

Jimothy Sterling said:
The best in the series to date

3 1/2 stars (70%)
That's a contradiction that would make it the worst game in the series based off average scores and based off of Meta critic so far it is the worst game in the series. Sad considering I liked the series, oh well hopefully the Order won't flop fingers crossed.