Infamously bad games that you like

lowtech redneck

Sep 19, 2014
I really really like the infamously bad Battle Monsters for the Sega Saturn, and not just for 'so-bad-its-awesome' pseudo-hipster irony. I enjoy the theme, the characters and even the combat (the controls are wonky, but the moves are easy enough to execute that it almost doesn't matter, the move list is extensive and the combat system is more cohesive than one would expect after reading or viewing pretty much any review of the game). Be advised that I'm the only person I've ever heard of outside of Dave Halverson of the old Diehard Gamefan magazine who feels this way about the game, but if you can find it for pocket change, I'd recommend you risk it-worst case scenario, you have an infamously bad game to laugh at with friends, and you might even discover its a guilty pleasure.

How about ya'll?

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
None.

Any game bad enough to merit the descriptor "infamously bad" was either wisely avoided by me, or I hated it.

There are some average/good but flawed titles that drum up a lot of community outrage, probably because they make for good controversial forum fodder. I like some of those. Your Dragon Age 2/Alpha Protocol type games.

Rayce Archer

Jun 26, 2014
Daikatana is actually really fun after you leave future-Tokyo, and its deathmatch mode is a straight up blast.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
I really enjoy Master of Orion III, which I've gotten a bit of flak for over the years.
I don't really see it as an infamously bad game but somehow it's considered universally reviled.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
If by infamously bad you mean games that certain ammount of people was vocal about them, I'd go with Dragon Age II. The only actual problem with it was that it was rushed. Otherwise... I've already mentioned my position on the subject, so I won't rant again, I'll only say that it was a good game with which Bioware actually tried to do something new, not another "savior of the universe and their already seen in other games friends" game.

If you mean games that are ACTUALLY bad, like Colonial Marines, then no, I never played them.

Oct 10, 2011
I really like Dragon Age 2. I played Origins first, and I actually prefer the second game.

Also, even though I admit that it is terrible, I enjoy Empire Earth 3. Heh.

EmperorZinyak

Aug 3, 2014
I kind of liked Mindjack. Hacking into random civilians and turning them into your personal slaves was pretty entertaining.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Despite the generally poor reviews, I love the Atelier series of PS3 games. That being said I don't think people consider them 'infamously' bad.

Hmmm, Jagged Alliance: Back in Action. That got universally panned ... I actually started to enjoy it when I got into the mindset of "this is NOT JA:2!"

JA:2 is one of my all time favourite games. My own custom character with dual pistols and more action points than any other fucker I'd meet. Popping heads. But when I thought of JA: BiA as a game that has nothing to do with Jagged Alliance, I actually started to like it.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Dragon Age 2.
To many, it was incredibly bad.
To me, it was just average.
I understand where everyone comes from, but as a fan of the series, I guess I can find the smallest entertainment in it.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Vendor-Lazarus said:
I really enjoy Master of Orion III, which I've gotten a bit of flak for over the years.
I don't really see it as an infamously bad game but somehow it's considered universally reviled.
I like it to, sure it can be at times a spreadsheet simulator but under that cluttered interface is actually an OK game.

As for my pick, Rumble Roses XX, actually a solid game and yes I'm really lonely.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
Xan Krieger said:
Vendor-Lazarus said:
I like it to, sure it can be at times a spreadsheet simulator but under that cluttered interface is actually an OK game.
Hey, another MoO III fan, fancy that. We are a rare breed indeed. ,)
About the game, I know and that's what weird. I don't even like spreadsheet games.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Vendor-Lazarus said:
Xan Krieger said:
Vendor-Lazarus said:
Hey, another MoO III fan, fancy that. We are a rare breed indeed. ,)
About the game, I know and that's what weird. I don't even like spreadsheet games.
I think part of the reason people hated it is because of what it could've been, like how they could've allowed you to customize how ships look instead of how it currently looks like cloned ships. They probably could've simplified the interface and made gotten rid of things that have 0 effect. I look at what we ended up with and say it's not great, it might not even be good, but it's ok and I'll play it.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Vendor-Lazarus said:
I can't speak for everyone who didn't like MoO 3... but for me it was expectations. MoO 2 is such a well-loved and mega-excellent game, it was a really hard act to follow.

It's unfair but that was a big part of my problem with it. Also I prefer micro to macro management and consider games with macro-management settings games that would rather play themselves. So why should I bother.

A "infamously bad" game I liked? The closest I can think of is games with very vocal haters that I don't agree with. Like Fallout 3 which I loved, and Metroid: Other M which I didn't hate as much as appearantly others think I should have.

Doopliss64

Jul 20, 2011
Perhaps this falls more under the category of "divisive" than straight-out "bad", but I've always personally preferred Rare's later output to their earlier stuff. General consensus seems to be that they could do no wrong until they reached a rough patch that started with Donkey Kong 64 and continued on through to Star Fox Adventures, Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts, and Viva Pinata, all of which tend to catch a surprising amount of flack.

Now, I actually understand where a lot of the complaints come from, and I'm willing to accept that perhaps this is down to my own questionable taste, or due to the fact that I never played the "classic" Rare games as a kid; but I was never really able to get into stuff like Goldeneye/Perfect Dark/Killer Instinct/Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie/Conker. They just seem so dated and the four I mentioned are infinitely more entertaining to my mind, even with their flaws. (Especially Donkey Kong 64, which I think is a legitimately underrated game).

Miles Maldonado

Oct 11, 2011
Command & Conquer 4: Tiberian Twilight is my Bad Game I Like - as is, perhaps, Supreme Commander 2 to Supreme Commander 1/Total Annihilation Fans.

What can I say? If C&C Arena actually came out, I'd probably have been all over it.

Starbird

Sep 30, 2012
Daikatana. Once patched, aside from some AI bugs it's a fairly solid shooter with some neat weapons. Act 3 is a total blast.

Blood 2: The Chosen. Again, with a patch and a community mod, among my most replayed shooters.

Vampire The Masquerade: Redemption. No idea why this gets so much hate. Solid story, amazing graphics for it's time, interesting combat.

Wolfenstein (Reboot). Love this game. Love the Veil abilities. Love the guns. Cool enemies, one amazing boss. New Order was a better game on paper but just lacked surprises or cool monsters.

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic: Good swordplay in a 3D shooter? Hell yes.

Arkham Origins: First bit is a slog. Once the Joker arrives...probably my favorite Arkham game.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Starbird said:
Vampire The Masquerade: Redemption. No idea why this gets so much hate. Solid story, amazing graphics for it's time, interesting combat.
Well, probably because people wanted something World of Darkness and instead got a dungeon crawler. I didn't mind it personally, but I love playing social heavy characters in World of Darkness tabletop rpgs. I think a lot of the poor critique comes from people like me who were disappointed by the lack of any real roleplay opportunities. Deus Ex came out like a month later and offered far more divergent gameplay, as well. So the game kinda got overshadowed after that.

I still love World of Darkness, though I'm more a Werewolf and Changeling fan (both oWoD and nWoD Werewolf, and nWoD Changeling). One of the first games I played of owod was VtM, however. Played a Toreador. Loved the fluff, the atmosphere, the roleplay opportunities. WHilst not my favourite oWoD White Wolf product, it was a close equal 2nd with Wraith.

So when the game came out, I was legitimately excited. But the gameplay ultimately disappointed me. There is literally SO MUCH FLUFF for the oWod VtM. They just didn't seem to utilise all that much, so that's why I personally found it disappointing. As a game, if you take away the attachment to vtM, it's pretty cool. THough you're better off gearing your character to solely combat rather than a charismatic leader.

Ahhhh, just wished they released a Changeling (CtL) or Werewolf game. nWoD Changeling game would kick all sorts of arse.

joest01

Apr 15, 2009
EmperorZinyak said:
I kind of liked Mindjack. Hacking into random civilians and turning them into your personal slaves was pretty entertaining.
I did too. Never finished but played in short bursts it was lots of fun. The online too. I guess people could either inhabit enemies or mindjack them alongside you. Why was it reviewed so terribly again?

wickedmonkey

Nov 11, 2009
The Bionic Commando reboot (the one with Steve Blum) Loved the grapple-hooking in it and launching myself (and unfortunate victims/vending machines) around the city. Multiplayer, when not plagued by cheaters was seriously good fun too.

G00N3R7883

Feb 16, 2011
I like Dragon Age 2 more than most people. I mean, its nowhere near DA:O (my favourite game of all time). Its Bioware's worst game. But the lowest I'd rate it is a 7/10.

Seeing as DA2 has already been mentioned twice and I want to say something different I'll go with Watch Dogs. Again, I don't think its amazing, but it was reasonably good, however I've read many comments from other players that it was a massive disappointment to them.