Infinity Ward Confirms Call of Duty: Ghosts At 720p On Xbox One, 1080p On PS4

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Infinity Ward Confirms Call of Duty: Ghosts At 720p On Xbox One, 1080p On PS4

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/IWMarkRubin/status/395618217592631297]​
Infinity Ward Executive Producer Mark Rubin says Call of Duty: Ghosts will run at a lower native resolution on the Xbox One than on the PlayStation 4.

Confirming a rumor that's been floating around for some time now, Call of Duty: Ghosts Executive Producer Mark Rubin wrote on Twitter today that the PlayStation 4 version of the game will run at a higher native resolution than the Xbox One.

"Hey, been on the road last couple weeks so haven't had a chance to update, but wanted to confirm that for Xbox One we're 1080p upscaled from 720p. And, we're native 1080p on PS4," he wrote. "We optimized each console to hit 60 FPS and the game looks great on both. Still on the road, but glad to see the great reception to Extinction. Can't wait for next week's launch."

Rubin didn't get into why the difference exists, but the obvious best guess is that the PlayStation 4 brings more power to the party and can thus maintain performance at the higher resolution. But the real question is, does it matter - and is it enough to sway your choice of next-gen console?

Source: Twitlonger [https://twitter.com/IWMarkRubin/status/395618217592631297])

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
This seems strange, didn't some games THIS gen run 1080p? If anything, at this point buying games for new consoles seem like a step backwards initially, especially when until at least 2015 most multiplatform games will be on PS3 and 360 anyway.

Also, this must be a (albeit petty) blow to the Xbone.
Don't worry Microsoft, you still have Titanfall to prove your superiority......
Wait a minute *reads its also for PS4* well it IS an EA game, at least you still have Minecraft, apparently its a system seller.

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
Josh12345 said:
This seems strange, didn't some games THIS gen run 1080p? If anything, at this point buying games for new consoles seem like a step backwards initially, especially when until at least 2015 most multiplatform games will be on PS3 and 360 anyway.

Also, this must be a (albeit petty) blow to the Xbone.
Don't worry Microsoft, you still have Titanfall to prove your superiority......
Wait a minute *reads its also for PS4* well it IS an EA game, at least you still have Minecraft, apparently its a system seller.
Yeah but only some games run at 1080p, now all of them will ;) amazing technology and endless possibilities sony seems to surprise us at every step too bad we couldn't run any game at 1080p on pc all this time..... oh wait.

On a more serious note though hardware doesn't mean anything if there are no games available on your console.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I wonder, didn't the PS3 and 360 versions of each and every COD already did 1080p?, or they were 720p native upscaled to 1080p?.

Other than that, I can't wait for the unnecessary shit storm that's about to come.

Josh12345 said:
As far as I know, very few games were actually made to run in native 1080p, most are 720p, with some having an even lesser native resolution like Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (only the PS3 version actually runs in 720p native), Dark Souls, Halo 3 and Battlefield 3.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
If you're basing your decision on what console to buy based on Call of Duty then you're doing it wrong. I'll stick to the PC anyway thanks.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
I think I heard this already on Review Tech USA's youtube feed. Not really a deal breaker, but I'm sure fans will use it as fodder for system superiority. Doesn't really matter imho. HD games is nice, but the actual games and gameplay is more important. I'm not going to use this as a gauge of how good either system is.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Higher bandwidth memory paired with a (at least a bit) more powerful GPU will lead to the PS4 being able to simple do more at once and push it out quicker. However considering this is a polished up old engine that's pretty surprising, the difference I mean.

I have a question; can the game run over 3 monitors by default this time?

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
I'm pretty sure the monitor I use to play video games only supports 720p, so I don't mind this too much.
Also, I just realized my gaming monitor is right next to my laptop's second monitor. My life would be so much simpler with a gaming PC.

oliver.begg

Oct 7, 2010
Charcharo said:
Probably the GDDR 5 RAM and better GPU here.
Still, if its any consolation, Xbox One DDR 3 RAM is better for physics and AI calculations then the PS4's GDDR 5 RAM.

Still, the PC version is the definitive version. And cheaper in the long run option.
thats down to latency, and their was a post on neogaf that suggested they had overcome alot of that.

its going to be very intresting to see what happens in the next year with GDDR5, since it may become main stream

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Josh12345 said:
This seems strange, didn't some games THIS gen run 1080p? .
It probably has to do with memory usage and release time.

Trying to cram more than three times as much data through 60-ish GB/sec when the PS4 and PC have north of 150GB/sec available must be a challenge, with release day bearing down on them it's probably not one they have time to address. By this time next year they'll probably be able to do it in their sleep, or they won't and Microsoft's decision to spec cheap RAM and a cheap memory controller will haunt them for the next five years.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
oliver.begg said:
its going to be very intresting to see what happens in the next year with GDDR5, since it may become main stream
It's mainstream now, pretty much every graphics card on the market comes with GDDR5 in it. But next year DDR4 and it's graphics equivalent GDDR6 are supposed to be arriving at retail, that could really skew things against the consoles again.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
SupahGamuh said:
I wonder, didn't the PS3 and 360 versions of each and every COD already did 1080p?, or they were 720p native upscaled to 1080p?.

As far as I know, very few games were actually made to run in native 1080p, most are 720p, with some having an even lesser native resolution like Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (only the PS3 version actually runs in 720p native), Dark Souls, Halo 3 and Battlefield 3.
I don't think a lot of games last gen even hit 720.
Since the release of Modern Warfare, the Call of Duty engine has always operated in a sub-HD configuration, with Treyarch's Black Ops running at the COD standard 1040x600 with 2x multi-sampling anti-aliasing (MSAA) on Xbox 360 to 960x540 on the PlayStation 3

lightly off topic I'm gonna love all the comparisons this coming year as people who never cared about graphics suddenly champion the ps4s prowess.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Do most people actually see the difference between 720p and 1080p on a TV screen? I see the difference on my PC monitor, but when sitting 2 meters away from a 37" TV It seems the same. Unless you have a huge screen, it shouldn't make a real difference.

I'm guessing that the UI will be scaled to take the same portion of the screen for both versions, and that the Xbone version will use anti-aliasing/post processing effects to compensate for the low resolution.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
For console gamers this makes zero difference, they can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p anyway.
Some of them can't even tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps. Go figure.

TelHybrid

May 16, 2009
I love the crap I get for being a "PC gamer graphics whore" when I see these threads, especially as I game on a laptop that struggles with Far Cry 3 on low at 1024x600.

OT: So we're already seeing next gen games capped at 720p... on systems that are far easier to optimise for than their predecessors. Well that's great!

I'll buy a PS4 down the line for Kingdom Hearts 3 and the next Naughty Dog game when it's south of £200 for both the console and both games. Right now the launch titles look bland as they always do for both consoles, so I'll wait.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
My TV is only 720p anyway, so it would hardly matter to me, if I was planning to buy a console. Screen resolution is probably the least important thing when it comes to visual quality, at least for me. I'd rather a game run smooth on a little screen that jittery on a big one. In fact sometimes increasing the resolution can make things look worse since, all things being the same, since it makes it easier to see crummy textures and stuff.