Infinity Ward Not Borrowing Ideas from Treyarch for Modern Warfare 3

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
No zombies? There won't be a zombie mode?

FINALLY!

A video game without any fucking zombies! Thank you, Infinity Ward! I might actually get Mewthree just to support this pattern of behavior!

Yeah, that's how goddamn sick I am of zombies.

Drago-Morph

Mar 28, 2010
Sylocat said:
No zombies? There won't be a zombie mode?

FINALLY!

A video game without any fucking zombies! Thank you, Infinity Ward! I might actually get Mewthree just to support this pattern of behavior!

Yeah, that's how goddamn sick I am of zombies.
The amount of zombie games on the market is nothing compared to the amount of "realistic" modern shooters.

Funny enough, the MW game (I have no idea why they're putting a 3 on it, it's just going to be the same game as all the others) is the cause of this.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Last time they listened to the community, MW2 multiplayer came out, so the hangedman mocks the beheaded...

In any case, I still not get why the community puts 3arch and IW on different sides of the river, why do you have to stand for one dev by bashing the other? I'll never get it.

Drummie666

Jan 1, 2011
The only thought that came to mind was that they aren't going to implement the option to turn the aim assist off. BlOps may have only put in the multiplayer, but at least it was a start.

Aerograt

Jan 7, 2011
Bowling said that studios having very different takes on Call of Duty meant that Treyarch and Infinity Ward wasn't "cannibalizing" each other's work, and gamers weren't getting the same gave every year.
I hope I'm not the only one who detects irony in this statement.

JayDeth

Dec 18, 2009
"gamers weren't getting the same gave every year."

I lol'd.

EDIT: And not at the misspelling, mind you.

omega_peaches

Jan 23, 2010
SteelStallion said:
Fuck your US marines "Hurrah!" ass licking, military jack off material, and give us a new setting you twerps.

The milk train goes moo moo
In MW and MW2, the main characters are from the UK...

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
LilGherkin said:
Treblaine said:
Why?

After MW2's bullshit storyline, Dedicated Server betrayal, the blatantly exploitative No Russian level and just how god-damn unbalanced MW2's multiplayer was would you not value infinity Ward even lower? Especially with all the key talent leaving (west/Zampella). Or do you? Your omission is poignant.

Sure, COD3 was awful - in every way - but WaW had a good story and Black ops multiplayer they fixed a lot of the long-standing bullshit.

COD4 generally hasn't been good since COD4 and hasn't even been tolerable since World at War but I'd say all things considered Treyarch is now the lesser evil.
Because I liked the game that Infinity Ward produced more than Treyarch's CoD: Black Ops and CoD: World at War. I thought the Multiplayer was fairly balanced in Modern Warfare 2, and that the story was better than I had expected out of a First Person Shooter. I generally had more fun playing through Modern Warfare 2 than I did playing through Black Ops, and also World at War. Although I'm not sure what the "Dedicated Server betrayal" was/is, I have a feeling that it has to do with PC gaming and therefor I feel that I should state that I am a console gamer.
Hmm, the bit in bold? I assume you mean good story "for a generic military FPS" because you seem to be dismissing a lot of REALLY GOOD games stories that are FPS games:
-Half Life 2
-Bioshock 1 & 2
-Portal 1 & 2
-FEAR 1 & 2
-Halo series
-Fallout 3+
-Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, etc
-STALKER series

and COD4 was WAY better, and that's in precisely the same genre from the same developer

I'm in the same boat as monoochrom on the multiplayer unbalanced thing. While it's true that Black ops was quite boring at least it was balanced.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Pandalink said:
Treblaine said:
Sure, COD3 was awful - in every way
What? I found that to be the best of the entire series after CoD1.
Maybe I'm judging it too harshly compared to recent games. I bought a copy recently for £12 ($20, so no pocket change) and was really annoyed at how it played compared to more recent games. It just seemed to do EVERYTHING wrong.

I wouldn't put it on the same level as COD1 nor COD2 but I played those on PC and understandably am forced to play COD3 on 360.

Then again, I played Half Life 2 and Doom 3 on an ORIGINAL Xbox about the same time and quite enjoyed them even though they are older than COD3 and I had in comparison to my PC experience.

Yeah, Treyarch has benefited a LOT building on the shared work of infinity Ward team, IW could do with taking on the innovations that Treyarch made.

Hachura

Nov 28, 2007
I love how while DICE are pumping out fantastic-looking gameplay and trailer footage for BF3, Infinity Ward are still talking about trivial little things like "our game runs at 60fps lols!" and "we're not stealing from Treyarch who stole from us!".

I could give a shit.

xXHaytonLloyd23Xx

Jul 17, 2011
Monoochrom said:
Sure, by all means ignore everything that Treyarch did with Black Ops, we wouldn't want anything new being added, now would we?

Say what you will, I realize that BO was terrible optimized for PC, that it has it's fair share of bad mechanics and what not. BUT they atleast tried adding upon the Idea. I for one love the concept of the Camera Spike, the Decoy and I also like the concept of CoDPoints. THAT was atleast TRYING to do something new. All I hear Bowling saying here is ''Yeah, MW3 is totally going to be MW2 with a few different Guns...and I thought I'd throw in that we listen to the Fans (not really) but decided that once more leaving out dedicated Servers would be the better idea for some reason...mostly because we don't give 2 Shits about the PC Version and therefore wouldn't want to have any extra Work. Buy our Game!''

No thank you Rob, only chance you're getting here for me to buy the Game is if by some strange stroke of luck I have Money to light Cigars with by November...that isn't going to happen. So, in other words: Activision, please just let the Series die, oh, and tell Rob Bowling, Bobby Kotick and WhatshisfaceMarketingGuyorWhatever to STFU, nobody likes any of you.
You sir are a true american hero and an inspiration/role model for dying british orphans country wide

xXHaytonLloyd23Xx

Jul 17, 2011
LilGherkin said:
I solemnly swear to never buy a CoD game that is produced by Treyarch, I will however shell out for the Infinity Ward games. I believe that they are better overall than their counterpart.
what the fuck is wrong with you? honestly can you say that IW games are better? Treyarch COD games (starting with WAW)-Zombies, stories that arnt boring as hell, gore, great multiplayer design. Now Black ops-Story that (although can be pretty confusing) is fresh and interesting (also your guy actually talks instead being a silent twat all the time), new and interesting zombie maps, more gore, COD points, and RCXD's (haters gonna hate). Infinity Ward has none of that. In fact the only 2 characters i gave a damn about, were Soap(from cod 4) and ghost.

xXHaytonLloyd23Xx

Jul 17, 2011
Treblaine said:
Logan Westbrook said:
Of course, not everything that Treyarch has done for - or to - the Call of Duty brand has been positive: Black Ops received a great deal of criticism for multiplayer problems on the PC and PS3.
At least Black Ops on PC had dedicated servers.

Sorry, that simple little thing made Black Ops SOOOOO much better than Modern Warfare 2.

In fact I've heard no bitching about the PC version of Black ops, and after playing over 127 hours I haven't seen any significant problems that haven't been around since Cod4 era.

In fact Treyarch as done a lot of good for CoD online:
-got rid of the basically mandatory perk: Stopping power
-integrated game playback feature
-brought back CoD4 favourites (Skorpion, M60)
-no weapon glitches (MW2 had loads of weapon glitches like PERMANENTLY misaligned sights or non-functional suppressors)
-No commando-lunge
-less overpowered killstreaks
-no more killstreak chaining
-more interesting setting of Cold War era than generic modern-combat era

If Infinity Ward refuse to recognise this and go back to Modern Warfare 2's bullshit then I really won't bother.

I bought Black Ops to show solidarity and appreciation for a big publisher realising that Multiplayer on PC deserves Dedicated Servers. But if Infinity Ward decides MW3 doesn't need Dedicated Servers... well fuck that. The game ain't worth more than $20 to me then, I'd buy it a year later on sale... maybe.
This a thousand times over

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Vakz said:
-Samurai- said:
Gotta love the CoD hate in this thread already. The people that say the game is the same every year are likely the people that don't play it.
Is that so? 55 hours played in MW2, 28 hours in Black Ops. Is that not enough to judge if you love it or hate it? Or do you have to spend 100+ hours in a game your dislike before you're allowed to say it's a bad game?
Yeah. Well for one you can't even try all the weapons, perks and kill-streaks till you have played for hours and hours and hours. So you can't say if the whole game is crap as maybe all the cools weapons are several hours of gameplay away... always promising more.

COD online is a Skinner box, it teases you but it fails to truly satisfy.

It can soak up a lot of time egging you on to play more yet winning or losing doesn't really matter, trying to get a feeling of accomplishment is just too transient. The game has good core mechanics but there is so little variety. You CRAVE a change, you get excited by a new gun that functions almost indistinguishably from the others but it's artificial excitement.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
xXHaytonLloyd23Xx said:
what the fuck is wrong with you? honestly can you say that IW games are better? Treyarch COD games
My problem with Treyarch is that they are not very good at coding. The games are buggy and the netcode is atrocious.

I have so many clips where I kill dudes by missing and shooting metres to the left or right of them... it's a disgrace. IW are much better at coding.

xXHaytonLloyd23Xx

Jul 17, 2011
MiracleOfSound said:
xXHaytonLloyd23Xx said:
what the fuck is wrong with you? honestly can you say that IW games are better? Treyarch COD games
My problem with Treyarch is that they are not very good at coding. The games are buggy and the netcode is atrocious.

I have so many clips where I kill dudes by missing and shooting metres to the left or right of them... it's a disgrace. IW are much better at coding.
Ok, i do agree that IW does handle coding much much better than treyarch (many a ragequit have happend because of this) But that dosn't make them the superior developer. Treyarch might not be the brightest bulb in the box, but by god are they trying haha

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
yourbeliefs said:
Great.. does this mean we get to deal with the annoying fucking grind-quests that MW2 had for experience and thus perks that didn't absolutely blow donkey balls? If there's one thing BO got right it was the use of separate currency to buy your perks.
What? Black Ops's perk system is terrible dude - having to go into Demolition and grind on bomb plants, or get a bunch of Nova gas kills to unlock a Pro Perk... it's awful.