Infinity Ward Says "No" to Zombies

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Infinity Ward Says "No" to Zombies

Despite the popularity of Modern Warfare 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-World-War-Xbox-360/dp/B001AWIP68/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1279309984&sr=8-1] will remain undead-free.

Call of Duty: World at War was fairly well-received when it hit shelves at the end of 2008, though many complained that Treyarch was simply piggybacking on the coattails of its Call of Duty elder brother Infinity Ward. However, what seems to have become the most popular and enduring part of World at War was a Treyarch original: the Survival-style Nazi Zombies mode.

Indeed, while many CoD fans have jumped ship to the shiny new Modern Warfare 2 multiplayer, there are still quite a few who return to WaW just to get a taste of those goose-shambling zombies trying to eat their delicious Allied brains. So, given the popularity of Nazi Zombies, you'd think that Infinity Ward would be at least considering a Russian Zombies (or some such) mode for MW2, no?

Not so much. IW seems content to leave Modern Warfare grounded at least mostly in reality without resorting to the supernatural, according to community manager Robert "fourzerotwo" Bowling. At last weekend's Call of Duty Finals Tournament, Bowling put a kibosh on the issue once and for all. "There will be no Nazis or zombies in any piece of Modern Warfare 2 downloadable content."

Oh well. Maybe we'll get Vietcong Zombies in Treyarch's next Call of Duty, scheduled for this holiday season and heavily rumored to be taking place during the Vietnam War.

(IGN [http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/107/1071161p1.html])

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
John Funk said:
Oh well. Maybe we'll get Vietcong Zombies in Treyarch's next Call of Duty, scheduled for this holiday season and heavily rumored to be taking place during the Vietnam War.
Now that outta be fun! I'm crossing my fingers for that to happen, that's for sure!

May 28, 2009
I'm glad. Nazi Zombies was a novelty, and then it got old, fast.

I'm glad IW isn't pandering to the only reason World at War even lasted so long.

CheckD3

Dec 9, 2009
Gotta give credit to IW, they stick up for what they believe in. They're also standing high on their own and aren't going to let the past phase them, but are dealing with there here and now

Good for them, besides, I really don't want to deal with THAT update to add a new mode in, who where with a PS3 wants to imagine that big of an update?

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
Can't say I'm upset; they'd just be copying Treyarch if they did.

Jun 11, 2008
So that is why they dropped dedicated server supports so no one could put in a zombie mod thats a bit too far really. Although in the first paragraph of the main article Ifinity Ward is spelt WArd.(Why yes I am so bored as to point out meaningless spelling mistakes)

ma55ter_fett

Oct 6, 2009
That only confirms the fact that they will have a robot jihadist mode in MW3.

and yes I know I likely spelled jihadist wrong...

Galad

Nov 4, 2009
ugh..the nazi zombies in Hellsing are quite enough, thank you for not hammering them in CoD as well :S

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
Oh god i hated Zombie Nazis sooo much! Im glad they are not putting zombies in Mewtwo, it would ruin it for me imo.

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
Vietcong Zombies. Now that would be kickass. The dark jungle... filled with rotting abominations.

geekcj

Mar 26, 2009
zombies arent what they used to be....in the past few years "zombies" have appeared in so many different forms of media that i no longer have a fondness of zombies. When they were few and far between in pop culture they were great, but now it been done over and over and i believe its time to move on. Glad theres corporates that are on the same wavelength as i.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
John Funk said:
Despite the popularity of World at War's Nazi Zombies mode, Infinity Ward has pledged that Modern Warfare 2 will remain undead-free.
Unfortunately it's not brain dead-free.

I'm sorry, but somebody had to make this joke.

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
Shouldnt be a suprise, IW have a history of not listening to what fans want...

... but I wont go there as I didnt buy the bloody game anyways.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
I'm mixed on this. Firstly, I don't really care about any version of CoD, but I thought the Nazi Zombie mode was funny in the last CoD. For reasons stated above that it was a good move on IW's part to not copy others, I can't help feel a little like they are cheating the fans again. If the mode was popular, then they probably should have put it in. IW just doesn't want to give people what they want or directly ask for, and yet they make boatloads of money for it. It's not fair.

S_K

Nov 16, 2007
Why did people keep going on about zombies in the first place? Was this some attempted forced meme or something? In any case stop being stupid fanboys this is a hollywood style war sim not resident evil/left 4 dead xP

effilctar

Jul 24, 2009
Thank God that there are no zombie playlists on MW2. The only reason people bought the map packs on WaW was for zombies; and to bulk up the pack a little bit, they added 2 or 3 maps to each pack that everyone hated and were forced onto players, despite having a designated map-pack playlist. This led to me leaving many lobbies because EVERY OTHER GAME was a map pack game and I refused to buy the packs for mediocre maps and a minigame I don't even play.

Kudos to Infinity Ward for not introducing a zombie game. I would gladly accept more special ops missions though.

Glademaster said:
(Why yes I am so bored as to point out meaningless spelling mistakes)
I do believe that was a mistake with grammar rather than a spelling mistake