Infuriating social faux pas

Sarah Frazier

Dec 7, 2010
ZeroMachine said:
SarcasmoPope said:
double posters
SarcasmoPope said:
and hypocrites
Ok, you're hilarious. And your name just makes this all the more perfect.

Anyways, for me, it would be this:

You get into a debate with someone. They say their piece. You give them evidence that contradicts their piece. We're talking as-close-to-concrete-as-you-can-get evidence.

"That's just your opinion."

"FUCK YOU MOM NO IT ISN'T!"

... Hm. I may have blown up a bit there o_O

Seriously, though, literally every time I've almost irrefutably proved her wrong, she comes in with that. Fuckin' hate it.

That, and people that claim things they have no evidence to back up. "Halo has no story herp derp." A multitude of books would say otherwise. "Modern Warfare 2 has tons of plot holes herp derp." Maybe if you don't pay some fucking attention to it.

EDIT: Oh, another one, actually. And this one is an odd one considering how common it is and how it's seen as tradition.

I fucking hate greeting cards in any form unless they're personally written by the person who sent it to me (in other words, unless it's a letter). They're such a lazy, throwaway way to say something. I hear people say "you need to send a thank you card or else they'll think you aren't grateful."
"I already thanked them."
"Yeah but you need to send a card."

Why? It's so pointless. Personally, if I got a thank you card instead of a more personal thank you, I'd be far more insulted. I'd feel like they did it out of obligation rather than actual gratitude.
What about if someone buys a Thank You card, then adds their own personal thanks around whatever generic phrase? Or multiple people sign the card, with or without adding a hand-written thanks?

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
People who use strawman arguments, go fuck yourselves; you aren't being clever, you're being annoying.

Simmo8591

May 20, 2009
my one big one is people walking two abreast up stairs so the walking traffic can't flow both ways or even worse seeing someone they know coming the other way and stopping for a chat mid stairs... happens a lot in my uni library and it drives me nuts.

just last week a pair of large girls were stopped dead on the stairs chatting loudly and a small shy chinese girl was meekly standing just behind them softly saying 'excuse me' over and over again. so I walked striaght up to them and stuck me head between their shoulders and said 'I agree'. one girl looks startled and turns to me saying 'er what... who are you?' to which i replied 'isn't this a public conversation? i assumed given that you were blocking the stairs that this was some kind of meet and greet discussion?...' they moved pretty sharpish and i earned a thank you from the shy chinese girl.

GonvilleBromhead

Dec 19, 2010
Stopping at the bottom of an escalator, in the middle of a crowded street, at the bottom of stairs, in front of a door - absolutely infuriating. Don't be surprised if I bump into you, for crying out line.

Also, smearing taramasalata onto perfect strangers and unleashing the wild spaniels. No call for that

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
People who lean over my shoulder while I'm on the computer, and are more often than not eating, usually gum or an apple.

Edit: Oh, and even more annoying, people who are rude to me for no reason. I don't care if we're on a sports field and it's all exciting, or if we're playing a videogame and it's tense, you don't have to shout at me, you don't have to be rude, you can say please.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Lev The Red said:
*people who wear hats inside. once you leave the foyer, you hat comes off.
I never got that, and I deliberately wear my hat inside because it's my hat, and I can do what I want with it.

Mar 9, 2010
WhyBotherToTry said:
People who don't wash their hands after they go to the bathroom. Infuriating and absolutely vile to boot.
Quite possibly this so many times you will never see an end to the post before you die.

I can't stand people not washing their hands after they've been to the bathroom. It's unhygienic and you don't get that soapy goodness. One that goes hand in hand with this one is people not showering. You should shower once a day, twice if you think you have to, it's a matter of grooming rather than hygiene.

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
SL33TBL1ND said:
Lev The Red said:
I never got that, and I deliberately wear my hat inside because it's my hat, and I can do what I want with it.
Agree with Lev the Red. It may be old fashioned but it's a simple issue of manners. It's how i was brought up and it really irks me. Especially TV presenters inside a studio wearing hats. God i want to set it on fire.

Oh and Ickorus' avatar. It makes my eye twitch... lol jk

Jul 13, 2011
Oh my where to begin...

People who intentionally leave messes under the reasoning that it isn't their job to clean it up.

Blurting out a rude question; It isn't hard to think of an alternative that doesn't make you look like a rube.

Unhygienic habits. That is absolutely awful, end of story.

Any eating sounds whatsoever, especially in public areas.

Attention hogs in all of their ugly forms, especially in Tabletops.

The concept of sending 'Thank You' cards for any sort of card received seems absolutely ridiculous to me.

Considering text-speak acceptable speech in face-to-face social situations.

That person who tells stories of past glories all of the time, including the ones you've already heard before. If all you ever talk about is the past glories, it becomes painstakingly obvious you aren't making any present ones.

The concept of "fashionably early/late". Being unreliable is never in fashion.

That one guy who always dresses in the "Whatever I found on my floor" style calling out the dress style of anyone else. Don't do this.

THAT GUY at the D&D Table. You know the one.

Someone who always has a story to match -any- story you tell. See 'Attention Hog'.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
WWmelb said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
Lev The Red said:
Agree with Lev the Red. It may be old fashioned but it's a simple issue of manners. It's how i was brought up and it really irks me.
But manners aren't universal, you shouldn't expect people to do what you consider polite when they might have a completely different idea. Sure, in your own home ask people to take their hat off, but anywhere else you shouldn't have a problem.

^=ash=^

Sep 23, 2009
Sirron Kcuch said:
Resting the head on the left hand, while having the mouse on the right one, just like you're doing right now.
STOP WATCHING ME!

For me it would be when strangers put "mate" on the end of anything they say to you. For example: When they bump into someone and they "Sorry mate" I apprectiate the sentiment, but just sorry would be fine.

warrcry13

Jun 6, 2010
I don't like when anything captures my image. I jokingly say it steals your soul. I literally cannot stand it. I will every now and then let someone take my picture but am immensely uncomfortable with it. I also hate it when people decide to use the urinal right next to mine when 5 others are not being used. Also people ask me for my opinion on something and then get angry at me over my opinion. SO I stopped giving my opinion and now people say "jeeze have an opinion for once."

I also don't like it when someone watches me play an RPG that has choices. Unless I invite them to watch. Look this is an insight into my thought process I don't want you have so bork off.

I don't like when people are in my personal space. I don't like when people touch my earring, or my glasses without me having given them permission. Yes those are very personal items. They are a part of me.

I also won't get a haircut at a barbershop/salon or whatever the hell you want to call it. (This reason is completely crazy) It is part of my essence, and no one should have access to it. (that also goes for why I don't let people touch my glasses or earring.)

Now I feel slightly crazy.

TriGGeR_HaPPy

Another Regular. ^_^
May 22, 2008
Kahunaburger said:
People smacking their lips when they eat. Fills me with mindless rage for some reason.
This. So much this.
There's this 1 group of people who come into the Comp Sci common room at Uni. Of course, lots of people do, to chat, have a break, get something to eat or drink, etc. But these guys are the loudest eaters I've ever had the displeasure of meeting.
It's especially bad when there's a bit of a lull in the conversation, because all you can hear is this other group of people who I swear are having a contest to see who can chew the loudest, and who can have their mouth open the widest.
*shudder*

Khada said:
The 'less than educated' individuals who play music out loud on public transport (often with terribly bad quality speakers such as from a phone).

$10 will get you a pair of earphones, not everyone wants to hear your horrid music.
This as well.
I recently had a guy on the same train as me who had headphones plugged in, but had the headphones hanging around his neck, and the music playing very loudly so that he (and everyone else) could hear anyway.
I... I just couldn't understand that. I still can't. >_>

Luckily, not much else bothers me. At least, not as much as the above 2.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
SL33TBL1ND said:
WWmelb said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
Lev The Red said:
Agree with Lev the Red. It may be old fashioned but it's a simple issue of manners. It's how i was brought up and it really irks me.
But manners aren't universal, you shouldn't expect people to do what you consider polite when they might have a completely different idea. Sure, in your own home ask people to take their hat off, but anywhere else you shouldn't have a problem.
I agree, if I am in your house then that is fair enough, if I don't like your house rules I don't have to be there. However anywhere else I decide what happens with my hat and if you touch it without my permission, even in your house, it's slapping time.

^=ash=^ said:
For me it would be when strangers put "mate" on the end of anything they say to you. For example: When they bump into someone and they "Sorry mate" I apprectiate the sentiment, but just sorry would be fine.
That seems to be the norm around where I live. I do it with many people I don't know but it depends on how they address me first. I usually don't speak first in any conversation which gives me a chance to decide which speech mode I should be in. The interesting thing is, once you are in my circle of mates, I don't call you mate any more.

Eventidal

Nov 11, 2009
WhyBotherToTry said:
People who don't wash their hands after they go to the bathroom. Infuriating and absolutely vile to boot.
People who are way too uppity and overly clean about everything, including those times I do use the bathroom and don't remember to IMMEDIATELY WASH MY HANDS AFTERWARD OH GOD WHAT A SICK AND DISEASED PERSON I AM. You'd think with their overreactions that I just pissed all over my hands or shoved them up a cow's ass in there.

Seriously, we have immune systems for a reason. Unlike most people I know, I actually trust mine, and it rarely fails me. I hate dirtiness to the point where I don't think I could ever work in the kitchen in fast food, but I'm no germaphobe. Sure it's gross but no moreso than accidentally spitting in your face while talking or coughing without covering their mouth. And of those three, it's the least likely to ever actually harm you in any way...

Other: people who make incessant, repetitive noises. Drives me insane.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
The Banter Queens:

I like banter (in moderation). However, there's always that one guy who just doesn't know when to fucking stop! He'll go on and on and on long past the point when every reasonable person has stopped laughing and started inwardly vomiting at his increasingly crude jokes. The only people who still find it funny are his knuckle dragging friends, who will guffaw like slack-jawed yokels at their friends ability to make coherent words come out of his mouth for hours.

I hate that guy.

White-Death

Oct 31, 2011
-When people always bring up religion in conversations, & try to convert you.

-That one guy in your class who goes out of his way to make fun of you, contradict you, & say 'Oh my god, shut up' when you try prove a point to the teacher.That guy also tries to make you lose in everything that has competition(EG:Standing on my hand WITH STUDDED BOOTS during a rugby match,continuously kicking my legs during the 500 meter sprint etc..) AND calling everything you say & you like 'gay'.That is a bad habit most people here in Ireland have, IT'S SO ANNOYING.

-People glued to their phones, never having any Idea of their surroundings.

-People who CONSTANTLY TEXT.Even in the middle of class.My class got a weeks' worth of detention because half the class were texting.

-People who SLOWLY walk side by side in a small corridor.Thankfully, I'm quite large & tall for my age so I can easily barge through them, but my point remains.

-People who stroke your hair, which only happens when I'm talking to(NOT CHATTING UP) girls.So what If I have long hair, I'm not a fucking cat.It's bloody disturbing.GIVE ME MY PERSONAL SPACE DAMN IT.

-People who say; 'You have a horrible taste in music, you should listen to this'.I get that too many times.& I also hate when someone DELIBERATELY stands beside you with their phone with earphones plugged out & blast the music you don't like so you can't hear your own music.

-People who say you SHOULD change your lifestyle.I get this a lot also, I swear, I will go on a killing spree if someone asks me that.

-Finally, people who MUST leave the bus before you, even if you are getting off at the same stop, they are in NO RUSH what so ever, but no, they MUST be first to get off, no matter what, & they ALWAYS push & shove through.I actually lost my nerve to a girl who did that to me, I Openly called her a total ***** to my friend, & she just stared at me, & what I said after that has bestowed to me the sweetest reaction to defeat ever.I just said, ''Yeah fuck you, I just said that''.

Patrick Buck

Nov 14, 2011
People who butt in. My friend does that. And People who one-up. He also does that.
But he's also a terrible lier, so I know he's making shit up, and he know's i know. So I'm telling a story, and he butts in, and makes it sound like his is better, and mine is shite, and then I call him out on it, or ask a detail, and it falls apart, and he looks like a dick. Yet he always does it. *Sigh*