Infuriating social faux pas

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
DannyJBeckett said:
A particular friend of mine who constantly speaks out against another member of our class, no matter what the situation, and also goes out of his way to comment on things he doesn't like.
I knew someone like that. Picking fights with that one person, and nobody else. It's just that rare combination of being confrontational and at the same time, completely spineless. So this guy was doing that to me for a while. To prove my point, I then went on to slap him every day for a year. He'd scream and rage, but never actually commit to any of the violent threats he made.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
binnsyboy said:
Things people do in certain situations that just piss you off to no end.

For me, it's this: I'll be telling a story or joke of some kind to some friends. Then one of those people shows up. The irritating one who is oblivious to how irritating they are, and immediately talk over you with some other story. So you say "hey, I was in the middle of telling a story here" and they utter that most infuriating of hypocritical phrases: "hey, just let me finish!"

The really annoying thing is it's either right when you've just started the anecdote, or you're just reaching the best part/punchline. Even when they have about five or so people telling them to shut up and wait, they power blindly on until everyone's just like "eh, let's just wait for him to finish..." and your own story doesn't have the same impact it would because the flow has been ruined.
I always seem to end up talking at exactly the same time or suddenly something another person says jogs my memory and my brain just goes WOOOSH and it looks very much like I want to talk.

I suppose since I worry about butting in and then go "sorry, please finish" I musn't be quite as bad as those who are ignorant of their insistance in talking, but it still concerns me.

binnsyboy said:
To prove my point, I then went on to slap him every day for a year. He'd scream and rage, but never actually commit to any of the violent threats he made.
Pardon me, have you considered becoming an researcher of some kind? That seems like an incredibly practical approach to proving a theory.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Lev The Red said:
*people who wear hats inside. once you leave the foyer, you hat comes off.
*flat-billed baseball caps. why do people think they look cool and why do hat makers feel they can charge twice as much as a normal ball cap?
*people who wear ridiculous hats just for sake of being different/to get attention. i love my ushanka, but i only wear it when it's genuinely needed.

i have a lot of hat-related pet peeves...
Oh, I cannot stand flat billed baseball caps.

That said, I don't see the problem with wearing a hat indoors if it's a style thing. If the mood takes me, I'll throw on my trilby.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
SarcasmoPope said:
double posters
SarcasmoPope said:
and hypocrites
Ok, you're hilarious. And your name just makes this all the more perfect.

Anyways, for me, it would be this:

You get into a debate with someone. They say their piece. You give them evidence that contradicts their piece. We're talking as-close-to-concrete-as-you-can-get evidence.

"That's just your opinion."

"FUCK YOU MOM NO IT ISN'T!"

... Hm. I may have blown up a bit there o_O

Seriously, though, literally every time I've almost irrefutably proved her wrong, she comes in with that. Fuckin' hate it.

That, and people that claim things they have no evidence to back up. "Halo has no story herp derp." A multitude of books would say otherwise. "Modern Warfare 2 has tons of plot holes herp derp." Maybe if you don't pay some fucking attention to it.

EDIT: Oh, another one, actually. And this one is an odd one considering how common it is and how it's seen as tradition.

I fucking hate greeting cards in any form unless they're personally written by the person who sent it to me (in other words, unless it's a letter). They're such a lazy, throwaway way to say something. I hear people say "you need to send a thank you card or else they'll think you aren't grateful."
"I already thanked them."
"Yeah but you need to send a card."

Why? It's so pointless. Personally, if I got a thank you card instead of a more personal thank you, I'd be far more insulted. I'd feel like they did it out of obligation rather than actual gratitude.

darkcalling

Sep 29, 2011
People that take any and every opportunity to bring up religion. Even worse are the ones that ask which church I go to. I answer none and they insist that I come to theirs. I believe in the Bible and God. I have NO use for the church. I don't need some old guy telling me what to think.

Dec 14, 2009
I've been through law school, so I know a thing or two about the subject.

So when discussing the law with someone who hasn't spent 4 years at law school, and then this person continues to tell me that I'm wrong because 'I've had my bike nicked, so I think i know something about crime'.

It's a tad annoying. Kind of like what I imagine being a medical doctor is like and having your entire education belittled because some twat can 'self diagnose' on the internet.

Sirron Kcuch

Jan 3, 2012
Resting the head on the left hand, while having the mouse on the right one, just like you're doing right now.

Also, when people breath heavily, walk near my computer, make low noises (I can't stand them), and make noise while eating

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:

So when discussing the law with someone who hasn't spent 4 years at law school, and then this person continues to tell me that I'm wrong because 'I've had my bike nicked, so I think i know something about crime'.

It's a tad annoying. Kind of like what I imagine being a medical doctor is like and having your entire education belittled because some twat can 'self diagnose' on the internet.
"Dawg, House said it was true. He's a mo-fuggin genius, yo. It's gotta be true!"

Dec 14, 2009
ZeroMachine said:
Daystar Clarion said:

"Dawg, House said it was true. He's a mo-fuggin genius, yo. It's gotta be true!"
Shit man, the guy has convenient epiphanies near the end of every episode.

How can real doctors compete with that?

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Genericjim101 said:
Sometimes it's nice to talk or work without some background noise
I think it's always better to work or talk without music. It strikes me as back ass wards to be having a conversation with music on, you put music on to entertain you and you talk to be entertained so why do both at the same time?

Like reading a book and watching a film at the same time, you are fighting to do one over the other while trying to do both ... you can't listen to music and talk.

As for working, there is a reason you don't have music playing during school, it's a distraction.

If there is food in your gob, your gob should never open ... ever!

When you argue with a person and they constantly cut you off, I have never had an argument were I wasn't cut off. I will be half way through a sentence when the other person just starts speaking.

It baffles me that people can argue when all you know is half my story! You're almost arguing with yourself at that point.

I once had a 30 min argument with a girl 'cos she wouldn't let me finish 1 sentence, the second I did finish it she said "well why didn't you say so?" ... I was trying for the past 30 mins you arrogant *****!

I even remember what the argument was about.

It's not really a social faux pas but I cringe when people say "at the end of the day", football/soccer players are really bad for this.

Khada

Night Angel
Jan 8, 2009
The 'less than educated' individuals who play music out loud on public transport (often with terribly bad quality speakers such as from a phone).

$10 will get you a pair of earphones, not everyone wants to hear your horrid music.

careful

Jul 28, 2010
effilctar said:
That one person who feels obligated to give their opinion on everything, even if they don't have a clue what they're on about.
the word for that is officious. i think...

Ocelano

Apr 14, 2009
binnsyboy said:
Things people do in certain situations that just piss you off to no end.

For me, it's this: I'll be telling a story or joke of some kind to some friends. Then one of those people shows up. The irritating one who is oblivious to how irritating they are, and immediately talk over you with some other story. So you say "hey, I was in the middle of telling a story here" and they utter that most infuriating of hypocritical phrases: "hey, just let me finish!"

The really annoying thing is it's either right when you've just started the anecdote, or you're just reaching the best part/punchline. Even when they have about five or so people telling them to shut up and wait, they power blindly on until everyone's just like "eh, let's just wait for him to finish..." and your own story doesn't have the same impact it would because the flow has been ruined.
Whistling anytime anywhere for some reason whistling just makes me want to tear peoples lips off and feed them to them

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
Lev The Red said:
*flat-billed baseball caps. why do people think they look cool and why do hat makers feel they can charge twice as much as a normal ball cap?
*people who wear ridiculous hats just for sake of being different/to get attention. i love my ushanka, but i only wear it when it's genuinely needed.

This. All of this. I would also like to add people who don't take off their hat at sporting events during the national anthem.

My number one, however, is people who take their sweet time crossing crosswalks. I realize it's the law that I have to let you cross, and I willingly do it even when it's not required, but you can pay it forward or back or whatnot by walking at a speed faster than a lethargic stroll.

Also people who walk side by side across a whole sidewalk. Also people talk on the phone while walking and who thus have no conception of their surroundings or the speed at which they are walking. Also people who ride bikes on sidewalks and try to weave through people like a professional action star. I have lots of sidewalk related peeves

isometry

Mar 17, 2010
Mortai Gravesend said:
isometry said:
Unnecessary germ spreading behaviors: coughing, sniveling, sneezing, nose wiping, face-touching, coming into public when they know they are sick, bringing their sick kid into public spaces. It amazes me how people get upset and righteous about second-hand smoke but tolerate germ spreading.
People kinda need to go into public even though they're sick at times. I'm sure they might very well prefer to stay at home being lazy in many cases. Smoking's rather more controllable than if you cough or sneeze too.
That's true to a point, but spreading germs is more controllable then some people think (otherwise doctors would be sick all the time...). Here are some things people can do to control their germs:

1. Go to bed on time to get a good sleep. Science shows that not sleeping enough weakens the immune system.

2. Wake up with enough time before work to drink water and take care of mucus as much as possible before going out in public.

3. Wash their hands more frequently at work. Avoid touching nose, eyes, and mouth with dirty hands (reduce the spread of germs by not catching them).

I agree with you that smoking is more controllable, and people have to go to work carrying germs some times. On the other hand, I feel that people should be more considerate about getting others sick then we generally are. It seems like most people just view getting sick as a random chance, but there are steps we can take to improve the odds.

As Seen On 360

Jan 22, 2012
People who stay glued to their phone the whole day. Because, you know, it's really urgent that they respond to "lol im bored wut r u doing", rather than pay attention to what's around them. In short, people who are too self important and egotistical.

Also, people who speak and use "Like" and "I don't know" which accounts for 50% of the words they've said. Not sure where the self esteem went but they have to take ownership of what they say, rather than including words that remove all personal responsibility from their opinion.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
Lev The Red said:

I will avoid you if there is ever an Escapist get together then. I like to wear hats Alot!

OT I have a few.

When someone tells me to do something instead of asking. I don't care if there is a please on the end. If something is phrased like "Can you do this?" it is fine. If it is said like "Do this please" I will be much less inclined to do whatever it is.

I dislike people shouting to get my attention, after I have already answered. Person: "hey Flames, come and get some food!" Me: "Ok I will be there shortly!" Person: "You coming Flames?!" Me: "What did I just say? Do not ask me again as it breaks my concentration and slows me down."

One more, If people touch my hat without my permission. Unless I know them well, touching my hat will earn them a slap.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
people who are on their phone while your talking ot them or at some kind of social gathering...REALLY used to piss me off, I imagine thease days its worse

but other than that...loud obnoxious people on the bus, I dont like to judge people but I DONT GIVE A FUCK ABOUT YOUR FANTASTIC YOUNG-PERSON LIFE....SHUT UP AND LET ME BE MISERABLE IN PEACE...IM TRYING TO READ YOU FUCKERS!

ok ok no, Im not miserable