Injustice's Aquaman Wipes the Floor With Surface Dwellers

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Injustice's Aquaman Wipes the Floor With Surface Dwellers

Aquaman doesn't seem so silly after he's fed the Flash to his pet shark.

As the release date for the DC fighting game Injustice: Gods Among Us approaches, NetherRealm Studios continues to reveal new characters for its final roster. We already knew <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118438-Former-Teen-Titans-Join-Injustice-Gods-Among-Us-Roster>that Nightwing and Cyborg would be involved, and now the developer has confirmed that water-based hero Aquaman will also be a playable character. At first Aquaman may seem like a strange addition to the game, recognized for his underwhelming ability to talk with fish instead of flight or super-strength. That's why NetherRealm's reveal trailer presents a very different image of the hero, introducing Aquaman as a central character that commands Atlantis's army, giant lobster monsters, and man-eating sharks.

In the DC Universe we're familiar with, Aquaman is a superhero whose responsibilities as the King of Atlantis occasionally put him at odds with his "surface dweller" allies. In the Injustiverse, those stakes are raised when Superman's Regime demands Aquaman turn control of the oceans over to its totalitarian government. Aquaman initially agrees to cede control in the interest of peace, only to change his mind after the Regime oversteps its bounds. That decision prompts Aquaman to lead a large-scale invasion of the surface, complete with giant lobster creatures swarming beaches to confront Superman's forces.

The trailer is largely story focused, but it does take the time to present Aquaman's fighting style for consideration. Aquaman wields a trident that appears to fire electrical charges, both at a distance and when opponents are impaled on the pointy end. In terms of visual appeal however, that's nothing compared to Aquaman's finishing move. First, the King of Atlantis uses his complete control of water to summon a tidal wave and engulf the level in water. Then, after spearing his opponent to prevent escape, a large shark suddenly emerges from the darkness and swallows its victim in a single gulp. I'll say this much: It's certainly a strong shift away from the Superfriends version of Aquaman that players were more likely to recognize.

Aquaman hasn't made a major videogame appearance <a href=http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox/aquaman-battle-for-atlantis>since the disastrous Aquaman: Battle for Atlantis, so hopefully Injustice will portray him as more than a fish-out-of-water. The game will launch on April 16th for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and Wii U platforms.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I feel the urge to post this quote from AT4W

"What's that? You want me to start making jokes about how useless Aquaman is? Hahahahaha... Aquaman is the king of Atlantis, whose domain pretty much encompasses the entirety of the ocean. He owns 70% of the planet! He is super strong, super fast, and he can summon Cthulhu to eat your soul if he felt like it. The perception of Aquaman as 'useless' is based on the Super Friends cartoon series, where Aquaman's superpower is that he owns a jet ski. ...I don't make fun of Aquaman."

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
I wanted the mulleted Aqua Man with the hook hand from the late 90s Justice League cartoon.

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
erttheking said:

"What's that? You want me to start making jokes about how useless Aquaman is? Hahahahaha... Aquaman is the king of Atlantis, whose domain pretty much encompasses the entirety of the ocean. He owns 70% of the planet! He is super strong, super fast, and he can summon Cthulhu to eat your soul if he felt like it. The perception of Aquaman as 'useless' is based on the Super Friends cartoon series, where Aquaman's superpower is that he owns a jet ski. ...I don't make fun of Aquaman."
Thank you.

Aquaman might not be my favourite character, but the "he's useless" insinuations are getting old.

Though a shark attack as a finishing move seems a bit meh...

TheTygre

Jun 17, 2009
erttheking said:

Isn't it canon somewhere that he and one of DC big-wig arcanes (The Phantom Stranger?) team up once a year to dive to the bottom of the ocean and keep a not-Cthulhu from rising?

AgDr_ODST

Cortana's guardian
Oct 22, 2009
Sylveria said:
I wanted the mulleted Aqua Man with the hook hand from the late 90s Justice League cartoon.
Oh hell yeah that Aquaman was badass...I'd much rather have seen him than build thats in the game...not to knock it though i just like you would prefer JL cartoon Aquaman

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Aquaman is king of the oceans. Oceans cover the majority of the planet. He's legally the most powerful man on earth.
Aquaman is superfast, superstrong, has bulletproof skin, has a supernatural trident thing, wears impenetrable scale-mail, can summon c'thulhu, and can give you a seizure with his mind.
Aquaman is awesome.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
erttheking said:

this needs to be quoted for truth.

and his powers being reliant on water being nearby is not really that big a downside unless your story is set in a desert, water is pretty much everywhere

Pikeperch

May 3, 2010
Fanghawk said:
In terms of visual appeal however, that's nothing compared to Aquaman's finishing move. First, the King of Atlantis uses his complete control of water to summon a tidal wave and engulf the level in water. Then, after spearing his opponent to prevent escape, a large shark suddenly emerges from the darkness and swallows its victim in a single gulp. I'll say this much: It's certainly a strong shift away from the Superfriends version of Aquaman that players were more likely to recognize.
Is it confirmed that the tidal wave and shark are from his finishing move? It seems to me that they could be from a story segment or a stage hazard.

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
Interesting new twist (I know not "NEW" new, but first time in a while) on Superman being a totalitarian.

ALL HAIL KING OF ATLANTIS.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Even since the Superfriends people have been calling Aquaman useless (For the record batman's power was basically being smart and having gadgets and was largely useless too) to the point where every single piece of media I see with him goes out of its way to make him a badass, yet he still gets crap. Guy owns over half the planet (the ocean portion) and it's still not enough to erase the taint of one cartoon from the record. I feel your pain, Mr. king-of-the-sea, I feel your pain.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Holy fuck that's Samurai Jack's voice actor.
Anyway the giant enemy crab things are cool but he needs his sweet beard like in the animated series.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
"Aquamans powers are stupid because I watch Family guy" - General ****.

He is a powerhouse, and it looks like he will play a huge role in the Story. ( You can see the Atlanteans fighting Wonderwomans Amazons)

Looking forward to this game.