'[Insert genre I don't like] isn't real music'!

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
lacktheknack said:
spartan231490 said:
OhJohnNo said:
snipIt's similar to singing in that way - lots of singers don't give a shit about the message their lyrics deliver
snip
you know nothing about singing. Singing and music in general is all about the message, just like any form of art. You have obviously never taken even a high school chorus class, let alone a singing lesson, because the instructor in either one would have told you how important it is to focus on the message. When I took vocal lessons, we spent 2 weeks doing nothing but warm-ups and visualizing the message. The only singers who "don't give a shit about the message their lyrics deliver" are amateurs.
wat

So are you saying that atheists cannot validly sing classical sacred music?

Because that's exactly what you're putting across.
no, they don't have to visualize god, but they need to focus on the emotional message or they wont sing it well.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
spartan231490 said:
lacktheknack said:
spartan231490 said:
OhJohnNo said:
snipIt's similar to singing in that way - lots of singers don't give a shit about the message their lyrics deliver
snip
you know nothing about singing. Singing and music in general is all about the message, just like any form of art. You have obviously never taken even a high school chorus class, let alone a singing lesson, because the instructor in either one would have told you how important it is to focus on the message. When I took vocal lessons, we spent 2 weeks doing nothing but warm-ups and visualizing the message. The only singers who "don't give a shit about the message their lyrics deliver" are amateurs.
wat

So are you saying that atheists cannot validly sing classical sacred music?

Because that's exactly what you're putting across.
no, they don't have to visualize god, but they need to focus on the emotional message or they wont sing it well.
We were never told to "focus on the message". My university choir never even knew the content of a couple songs. We were told to create an atmosphere, so we did. All that mattered is that we picked one mood and stuck with it. And we got standing ovations.

I'm gonna go ahead and say that you're being a bit pretentious.

And besides, OhJohnNo was talking about literal "message delivered by the lyrics", so your attack was unjustified.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
spartan231490 said:
Cuz they lack some or all of the traditional components of music. Rhythm, melody, harmony, beat, flow ect.
What do you mean by "flow"?

Rap lacks melody and harmony(typically),
Citation needed. I have never heard a piece of rap music that lacks melody and harmony. It's often minimalistic and sometimes dissonant but it's always there.

dubstep typically lacks harmony and flow
Citation needed. Again, it might be very dissonant but dubstep has melody and harmony. Everything you hear is either drums or taken from the chromatic scale.

I still don't know what you mean by "flow." Does death metal have flow? What about jazz?

Dance techno is all beat, ect.
No, it just focuses on the beat. There's still melody and harmony.

They lack the components of music, and therefore shouldn't be called music. Unless you think we should come up with a new name for the genres that do have those components, instead of a name for those that don't. Don't get me wrong, that doesn't make them bad. I like dance techno, and even some dubstep, but they aren't music.
Even if you're right and they do lack some, but not all, of these elements, what do you propose we call them if not music? It has the same effect, it's listened to for the same reason... what good would coming up with a new classification do?

And why should every piece of music have to contain all of those elements? Is a drummer playing a beat not making music? If not, what is he making?