'[Insert genre I don't like] isn't real music'!

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
Can someone explain to me how this happens, where people come out of the woodwork to proclaim that by some divine proclamation dubstep/rap/death metal 'don't count' as music?

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
It's just an offshoot of "Stop liking things I don't like!"

Mixed with a little bit of confirmation bias of "Oh, see, it's all just noise!" whenever you try to have them listen to a song from the genre.

It's silly, and I don't pay attention to it because in my mind, it is music, and that's what matters more to me.

MisterGobbles

Nov 30, 2009
Well, there's KINDA a difference in my mind. Sure, music is technically just sound organized through time, and obviously metal/whatever other noisy genre with screaming is real music, but there's some crazy avant-garde stuff out there. Like, drone songs that are 11 hours long (like, literally, 11 hours) and that one piece of music that is actually just however many minutes of silence strike me more as peformance art than as true music, even though they both technically are music.

But anyone who calls any specific genre not real music is just insulting something they don't like, as said above.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Usually it just means they're close-minded and have no idea of how to appreciate things that don't fit within their narrow tastes.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Oh man, does anyone have a link to the "dubstep is not music" thread with the guy who said he knew this because of some text book he read?

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
I'll admit I've yet to hear an example of dubstep, rap, or death metal that I actually like - and I'm unlikely to bother giving them any more chances by choice. But I'm not going to say none of it is music just because I don't like it. That's absurd.

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
IamQ said:
Oh man, does anyone have a link to the "dubstep is not music" thread with the guy who said he knew this because of some text book he read?
Wait, what? Dubstep music has all the hallmarks of music! What textbook was this?

lechat

Dec 5, 2012
you really have to draw the line somewhere between music and noise though

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
IamQ said:
ah yes....I remember

he then went off and made a thread because of me

fun times XD

Froggy Slayer said:
Wait, what? Dubstep music has all the hallmarks of music! What textbook was this?
basically I got into this argument with a guy who claimed dubstep wasnt music....he was pretentious as fuck because he studied music

after calling me an idiot several times his reasoning was (I kid you not) "my textbook says music is strings, percussion or wind...computers don't fit under any of those"

...yeah

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Vault101 said:
IamQ said:
ah yes....I remember

he then went off and made a thread because of me

fun times XD
Was that you? Oh man, I thank you so much for what you did.

I remember that thread. He made it, telling everyone how annoying it was when people didn't want to listen to facts. Then everyone told him that his facts were wrong. Fun times were had. ^^

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
Vault101 said:
after calling me an idiot several times his reasoning was (I kid you not) "my textbook says music is strings, percussion or wind...computers don't fit under any of those"

...yeah
Oh, I remember this guy! Was he the one who said that using computers to create music 'doesn't require skill'?

Remaiki

Jan 2, 2013
I feel left out now because everyone's talking about 'the incident' and I wasn't there. :(

...At any rate, I think that there is a certain point where music is not music anymore and is just noise - I liken it to so-called 'modern art'. Once, I was watching the BBC News, and I kid you not, there was a piece of 'art' that was literally a bunch of twigs laying on the floor. That cannot honestly be considered art, just as certain pieces of 'music' cannot honestly be considered music.

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
Remaiki said:
I feel left out now because everyone's talking about 'the incident' and I wasn't there. :(

...At any rate, I think that there is a certain point where music is not music anymore and is just noise - I liken it to so-called 'modern art'. Once, I was watching the BBC News, and I kid you not, there was a piece of 'art' that was literally a bunch of twigs laying on the floor. That cannot honestly be considered art, just as certain pieces of 'music' cannot honestly be considered music.
I must admit, it is strange how an artist can have a random arrangement of colours and still have something help us as art, and yet if a novelist wrote something with random letters, then there would be no chance of it ever being published.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
Remaiki said:

I see where you're coming from and I can kind of understand why someone wouldn't see, say Stalaggh [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O5Px3_RJ3w] as music, but people will say it about anything they dislike. To use the examples in the OP, dubstep, rap and death metal all have recognizable rhythms and melodies, even if they're a bit abrasive sometimes. They all easily fit within every definition of music.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
TopazFusion said:
IamQ said:
This thread?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.385982-Do-you-hate-people-who-argue-till-they-are-blue-in-the-face-even-though-you-know-they-are-wrong

The OP made that thread after getting upset in another thread (link included in the above thread, post number 6)
Yepp, that's the one. I freakin' love that thread.

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
TopazFusion said:
IamQ said:
This thread?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.385982-Do-you-hate-people-who-argue-till-they-are-blue-in-the-face-even-though-you-know-they-are-wrong

The OP made that thread after getting upset in another thread (link included in the above thread, post number 6)
Did he just say that the entire electronic super genre doesn't count as music because his shitty textbook is only for orchestral music? Haha, oh wow, that's a whole new level of ignorant.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
I don't understand that particular one either. Music can be damn near anything. Even someone banging on an empty garbage can. As to weather or not you like it doesn't affect weather its music or not.

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
TopazFusion said:
Froggy Slayer said:
TopazFusion said:
This thread?

Did he just say that the entire electronic super genre doesn't count as music because his shitty textbook is only for orchestral music? Haha, oh wow, that's a whole new level of ignorant.
Yep, he seemed to think that Wikipedia was wrong (despite the fact that it draws on, and cites, many different sources), and only his textbook was correct.

I don't even...

Anyway, he's barely posted at all since that thread, if you check his post history.

I think we scared him off...
Damnit Topaz, these threads are hilarious. I'm supposed to be sleeping right now. Why did you have to ensnare me in this web of hilarious idiocy?

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
TopazFusion said:
Froggy Slayer said:
Damnit Topaz, these threads are hilarious. I'm supposed to be sleeping right now. Why did you have to ensnare me in this web of hilarious idiocy?
Someone should really make an Escapist Thread Simulator sometime, using some of the idiotic comments we get here.

To this music, of course . . .

And in the water level you'd have to choose between saving Yoshi and Luigi?

sammingtons

Feb 21, 2013
It is someone's biased opinion, not a fact. But an annoyingly biased opinion at the least.
Music can be anything, whether someone likes it or not.
It's just simple a matter of ignorance and being closed-minded.

Froggy Slayer said:
Vault101 said:

...yeah
Oh, I remember this guy! Was he the one who said that using computers to create music 'doesn't require skill'?
Hmm, that reminds me....