Inside the Sick Mind of a School Shooter Mod

DonMartin

Apr 2, 2010
Oh yeah, and as for the "You can kill civilians in GTA too, so why not a school shooter?"-argument..

I think the main reason for the existence of civilians in GTA is to achieve a greater sense of reality. I dont think theyre placed there to be targets for the player anymore. Sure, the "killing sprees" in the first GTAs encouraged you to kill EVERYONE, but is that the case with GTA4 too? I havent played it, so I wouldnt know, but if Im correct, then it's just the player who can choose to kill civilians. You dont have to.

Littlee300

Oct 26, 2009
People seem like a rebel. Also monsters are mindless evil things of a different species so I think it is different.

Soviet Steve

May 23, 2009
I look forward to playing this mod. One of the fun bits of GTA is taking the AI by surprise, I just wish there was a tastefull way of bringing the scenario across, like the animated highlander massacre by Cortan (Sp?) but with more Swat.

Littlee300

Oct 26, 2009
nrp44 said:
I'll just leave this here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elephant_%282003_film%29
That movie did not have the kids fighting the devil for one xD
Then again there are always squeals...

Trolldor

Jan 20, 2011
DonMartin said:
Oh yeah, and as for the "You can kill civilians in GTA too, so why not a school shooter?"-argument..

I think the main reason for the existence of civilians in GTA is to achieve a greater sense of reality. I dont think theyre placed there to be targets for the player anymore. Sure, the "killing sprees" in the first GTAs encouraged you to kill EVERYONE, but is that the case with GTA4 too? I havent played it, so I wouldnt know, but if Im correct, then it's just the player who can choose to kill civilians. You dont have to.
Everybody does.

DonMartin

Apr 2, 2010
Trolldor said:
DonMartin said:

Everybody does.
Careful with the generalizations. I dont, and Im sure that a lot of people here dont do it either. It just seems unnecessary and ridiculous to kill civilians to me. Not because I consider them to be real people, I just see no joy in it.

However, I am aware how common it is, and that most people do it, so I suppose in a way, you are partially correct.

bwisey

Aug 14, 2010
It's not morally right to kill any living thing including plants and fungi etc. If you don't like this mod you shouldn't like any game with any killing.

Christopher Beal

Mar 26, 2010
People are generally ignorant. Lack of empathy. This stuff happens because people are selfish and don't understand what anything is like till it happens to them

Cyberjester

Oct 10, 2009
I might call this reprehensible. But I'm one of those apparent freaks who thinks loli is also bad, which this forum seems to disagree with immensely. "It's ok because it's not real", "It gives us a chance for a scenario we can't enact in rl". And no-one would ever, ever go out and have sex with someone underage because they've read loli, but they will go out and shoot schools if they've played a brainless mod? Pedophilia is considered ok by this website, I think one person got a ban for saying they were a pedophile, but bets are they weren't reported to the police as such. Now, shooting peeps in a school setting? That's TERRIBLE!! SAVE THE VIRTUAL SCHOOL CHILDREN!!

Actually reading the comments, there seems to be a general "yea, that's fine" vibe. So the only protest is from the article, which if the Escapist forums are taken as a representative of people generally then it was merely for shock value. In which case ignore my first paragraph.

Although GTA, Sims, lots of games allow you to kill civilians. Why is this any different?

Dick Smuggler

Mar 22, 2011
Showing this on Escapist is only giving publicity to this monstrosity.

It doesn't deserve anyone's attention -- let alone the attention of well-adjusted, adult gamers.

beefpelican

Apr 15, 2009
MrJKapowey said:
Woodsey said:
MrJKapowey said:
Wow, just WOW. Why would you do this? It will allow all those 'games make you a psycho' gits to actually have something which has you playing as a realistic psycho, with realistic weapons, in a realistic setting - killing innocent people.
You have played GTA IV, haven't you? Or any of them for that matter.

I'm not defending this guy, but that's a rather loose description you're giving. Its in extremely poor taste, but you could argue that about plenty of games if you really wanted.
Sorry, I meant 'killing innocent children'.
I feel like that's a bit of a strange place to draw the line. We can both agree that killing innocents of any age is horrible and evil. Why should it be acceptable to kill innocent adults in a game if it is unacceptable to kill innocent children. I'm not saying that it is acceptable to make a game focused around killing children, I just think it's odd that it's the place you and the article author choose to draw the line. He even admits to doing something rather similar in GTA, where he would mow down as many innocent civilians as possible before the police arrived. And yet I don't think he finds himself sick or disturbed. Why do you think that is?

Edit: having read a few pages deeper into the forum, I can see that this entire discussion has already been had. Sorry about that.

ALPHATT

Aug 15, 2009
oh q fucking q, don't fucking play the gd game, also postal 2 and manhunt were totally harmless and the former was basicly a cartoonish comedy while in the latter you were actually killing bad guys. Also i think video gaming penetrated the populace enough that one fucking sourcemod won't give enough ammo to anti-video game activists.

TitenSxull

Feb 17, 2009
Reminds me of when I first played the original Half-Life, I'd experiment with different ways to get the scientists killed, lead them to their deaths at the hands of an alien, place trip mines in front of them, release snarks. However I do think this game is in bad taste since it will likely draw too closely from real life events, it'd be like having a game where you play are the 911 hi-jackers that ends with them getting to party with 72 virgins.

MeTheMe

Jun 13, 2008
25 pages of comments, impressive.

You know what? Doesn't matter what this guy says, because while he's living in his little delusional world where games are just silly kill 'em ups, the rest of us are living in the real world, where book, tv, and GAMES can touch on serious and thought provoking issues. Seriously? That's all games are, and should be to this guy? That's the worst part of it. Free speech says he can make his stupid game if he wants, but to go and say all games should be this is, frankly, upsetting on bad, bad level.

I cried during Final Fantasy 6, I got angry and demanded revenge in Mass Effect 2, I was surprised in KOTOR, I've laughed, loved, and been moved in so many games. You can't tell me all they are dumb murder-go-happy-fun-time devices. Because that's just not true.

HyenaThePirate

Jan 8, 2009
The guy has all the right in the world to make the game. Freedom of speech and all that. Intellectual freedom... what have you.

He's also a douchebag that I would gladly toss my freedom away to punch in the face should he and I ever have the misfortune to cross paths.

His attitude to victims of such tragedies is so cavalier... so ice cold.. the way he dismisses that loss of life and the people whose worlds were destroyed by the senseless REAL WORLD violence of the monsters who did it with a "meh" and a wave of his hand as if he's talking about who lost in the FA cup finals last week goes beyond my level for tolerance.

I can only hope that the next school rampage that will undoubtedly happen someday, the authorities find dozens of copies of his mod and he gets sued into oblivion. He's obviously a person upon whom tragedy has never fallen on or on his loved ones.

It's just a stupid game, and honestly I wish that it didn't get all this publicity. It should have been IGNORED, summarily. He can make it all he wants, but people should have simply refused to acknowledge HIM or its existence. The game's subject matter doesnt make me sick... the fact that he could potentially benefit or profit from its creation is what truly sickens me.

nerdsamwich

Feb 25, 2009
Okay, I have nothing to say on the content of the interview, as everything I might possibly have to say on the matter has already been mentioned by this point, but I did notice one of my personal pet peeves rearing its ugly head throughout: misplaced apostrophes. Every instance where the correct word would have been "its" was instead written, "it's". I realize it might seem petty, especially given the gravitas of the subject matter, but I feel that that gravitas would be better served by more observant proofreading. That and my nerdrage button just happens to be improper punctuation. So, Mr. Tito, if you're reading this comment, I would be glad to help prevent future incidents, for a nominal fee, of course.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
i dont see how is this mod any different from many other shooters already out other than the setting takes in a school. that never was done, but other than that, its the same. however after reading interview i begin to doubt some logic bhind this guy because he make some really bad expressions.

sonofliber

Mar 8, 2010
why wont someone think of the pixels???

those poor little pixels getting pixelated to dead why wont somebody do something about this.

funny things is thousands of childrens die in the REAL world everyday but most of you dont bat an eye to it.

how many of you walk pass homeless people and just ignore them? or give them 10 cents to feel better with yourself?

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
Nurb said:
Bobbity said:
I really hope that something terrible happens to that guy, and that he changes his mind. This mod is disgusting, and exists only to attract attention.
So you as a gamer hope something bad happens to this guy in REALITY, for making something FICTIONAL because it makes gamers look bad for wanting violence?

Wow, way to be hilarious and hypocritical at the same time *clap clap*
I still cringe thinking about this, so I tracked down your post. Thanks for calling me out. I didn't see how stupid this internet-rage mentality was until years later.