InstantAction CEO: Retailers Are "Parasites and Thieves"

joshthor

Aug 18, 2009
frankly i agree with him. gamestop gets these games dirt cheap and then undercuts the publisher by what? 5 bucks. if people see the new game there for 60 and then look next to it and see the same game for 55 what one do you think they are going to get? I'm not necessarily saying used games need to go away, but im thinking gamers should be willing to throw out an extra 5 bucks if they come in there with the intent of buying that specific game. now, if im just browsing and am looking for a game that looks decent to pick up, ill walk to the used game section, maybe buy one from there. but if i go "I WANNA GET DRAGON AGE ORIGINS MAN!" ill go to the new section.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
JeanLuc761 said:
Why is it only the gaming industry, one of the most profitable industries in the world, bitches about used sales?

I don't hear ANY of this moaning from used car dealerships, used DVD sales, used books, nothing. Someone had to have bought the game new in order for used to exist; you already made your money.
First, both the movie and music industries have lodged similar complaints in the past. Authors and publishers before that sometimes expressed resentment that libraries provided a way to legally read a book for free. This is not isoloted to just the video game industry.

Second, both the movie and music industries have alternate streams of revenue. Concert tours and box office receipts alone are often enough to make a significant profit. The game industry only has the equivalent of the album or DVD home release. When games like <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92955-1-5-Million-Bought-Dead-Space-3-Million-Played-It>Dead Space net 3 million players but only 1.5 million sales, you'd be crazy to believe that the publishers and developers wouldn't resent such a potential loss in revenue.

Nerdygamer89

Dec 21, 2009
Why in the holy hell do these companies think that they have the right to not only sell a game once for its full price, but then turn around and gain further profits if it happens to change hands? This is sort of like selling a used Toyota, and having a Toyota rep show up at your house and demand a cut of your profit for the privilege of having bought from them in the first place.

Entitlement and greed, pure and simple.

Feb 13, 2008
If you could provide a back-catalog then perhaps there would be more new sales.
If you're dismissing retailers as thieves, then why are you supplying them?

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
"Whine, whine, whine" is all I am hearing here. When will game publishers figure out that not everyone can afford to buy all their games new? I mean come-on, most people don't have that type of scratch lying around, especially in this economy.

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
oktalist said:
there's nothing anybody can do about it
Doesn't he live in a democracy?

If we make something like woolen blankets and we start eating the sheep, pretty soon, we have no more woolen blankets.
That's the stupidest analogy I've ever seen.

JeanLuc761 said:
Why is it only the gaming industry, one of the most profitable industries in the world, bitches about used sales?

I don't hear ANY of this moaning from used car dealerships, used DVD sales, used books, nothing. Someone had to have bought the game new in order for used to exist; you already made your money.
To be fair, a lot of those industries do give back some proportion of their used sales to the original publishers, which Castle says would make it okay if games retailers did that.
Actually, all of those companies already sued their respective used-sales industries. The reason you don't hear any of them complaining is because you either a) Weren't born before 1990, b) Weren't born before 1970, or c) Weren't born before 1950.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
Personally, I don't understand why Gamestop works. If I want to buy an used game, I search for it on Ebay and buy it there for cheap. The Gamestop price for used games is usually only marginally lower than the full price of a game. If I only save 10? I might as well buy the new game.

jaeger138

Jun 27, 2009
This is ridiculous. If the industry is losing money to used sales it's simply as a result of them making the games so highly priced in the first place! I rarely buy a game new simply because I can't afford to be getting new games I want every month. And I'm sure I'll now get some people putting me down by saying "maybe you should get a job that pays more" like it's a simple case of walking into the nearest HQ of a major bank and telling them you won't leave until you're in the office at the top on 6 figures. The industry shoots itself in the foot by spending such a huge amount on games then pisses and moans when people want it cheaper. With the rise of casual gaming and the opening of a whole new audience to the market publishers need to realise that a casual gamer who only buys a few games a year is more likely to wait until the price of that game is lower. Hardcores are happier to buy games new at full price because they're investing in a huge hobby they have but casuals are just looking for some light entertainment that lasts longer than a movie so reducing costs to a fair price would be an intensely good idea, now of all times.

I'm aware that games cost a lot of money and it's not as simple as just 'spend less, make more' but this is a future that the industry is working towards. It needs to, and is trying to, cut down on costs by making the creation of games easier for smaller teams in shorter periods. It has to progress in this manner in order to give consumers and gamers what they want, a cheaper product. Would piracy or used game sales exist, or at the least be so prevalent, if everyone thought they were paying a fair price for the software? It's not a bad thing to dislike used game sales just as it isn't a bad thing to dislike piracy. In the end, both mean that the people who made the game get less money than they would have had everyone paid full price. But at the same time, where does that money go?

Is it right that the exec at the top in the big office, who maybe doesn't even like games, who is a business man first and a gamer second (if a gamer at all) get's a big fat paycheck every month when the guys who put the extreme hours in making this stuff get a pittance in comparison.

The solution? Or at least a partial, temporary one. Every person in these big development companies who's taking these huge salaries reduce their salary and put the money into reducing the price of games by investing in technology, software and people who can make the process of making a game faster, easier, more efficient and less costly to the consumer, casual AND hardcore.

The solutions we've been hearing of late are terrible; forcing second hand purchasers to buy a code to activate the game, removing content from titles and releasing it at extortianate prices so that you have to pay through the nose to play through a whole game that you've already bought. Even monthly subscriptions aren't the best of ideas and the rising talk of free online play using microtransactions as a main revenue stream after initial purchase is fantastic! I'd be happy to buy any game that's fairly priced, contains full content and allows me to make extra purchases for new items, skins, weapons etc. because I don't feel like I'm being screwed by the big publishers. I think I would probably even spend more in a game using this model than I would in a monthly subscription model.

Assassin's Creed 2 is a perfect example of this; I bought it new because I was excited about it, then I played through the game and discovered that 2 whole memory sequences were missing. They got released so I bought them and was so shocked at the amount of time it took to play them compared to the price they were. And now, a whole new game is being brought out that takes place in a part of the game that I never got to play! That's less my gripe but it's a dirty tactic. If it was a game you'd bought in a store and you were dissapointed and angry, you'd get your receipt and walk back to the store and demand a refund. Because these transactions are all downloads there's nothing you can do, and the publishers know this. Once they have your money, that's it!

I hope we see a progression in games and soon. An industry that doesn't innovate is destined to move backwards, and I'd hate to see gaming once again become a thing JUST for nerds and hobbyists again.

Burningsok

Jul 23, 2009
I think the reason this guy is so angry at Retailers is because they sell games used that were never bout for the original price in the first place. That I can sorta agree with. When a game has already been bout new at it's starting price, there shouldn't be any complaining. If the game wasn't bout for it's original price then that specific game disc can not be put up for sale at any retailer.

Edit: I find that places like Gamestop are making video games more known to the public. In a way they are advertising video games, and encouraging them to buy. Don't forget, Gamestop does sell both new and used games. Usually games that just came out don't show up used until a certain amount of days.

Abanic

Jul 26, 2010
I sold my car once and I didn't feel obliged to share any of that money with Buick. I wonder if Mr. Castle has ever sold any of his own property. Has Mr. Castle ever sold a car, or his home, or his old TV? Would he feel obliged to share his money with Ford, or his house builder, or Sony? I don't think so, and yet he feels that game companies should get another cut when their games are resold.

In what land does this make sense? Was he beaten in the head by an irate game player? Maybe he ate lead paint as a child...

Cormyre

Jun 11, 2010
Another point that publishers miss is the fact that buying second-hand doesn't 100% cut into their bottom-line, sure maybe being able to save $5 off of a new title is enough to entice some gamers into buying the used copy over the new and you lose a bit there, but most titles I buy used I would have never bothered to play the game if I had to pay full new retail on it and they would have never had a fan and supporter for upcoming titles. They like the music industry fail to understand that for the most part the consumer is sick of gambling with them... sure I can buy this full price and it may be great, it may suck (or in the case of albums... it could be an awesome compilation or a one-hit album), ooor I could spend less on it and it really matters less...

Digital_Utopia

Mar 20, 2009
jasoncyrus said:
It's because their Lake of money went down a couple of millimetres and they can't dive for 500 metres anymore in $1000 dollar bills.
Ever notice how the complaints such as this, or piracy are never the companies that make good games? Perhaps there's a lesson to be learned...

MasterV

Aug 9, 2010
Funny how you only see these kinds of whines in this generation. Everything is wrong with the retailers, the pirates, everyone except us! We employ the perfect developers and we, the publishers never charge too much for a game! Strange how this kind of thing was never heard all these decades of second-hand sales.

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
I would just like to say that I personally despise everyone who believes this way. Why to we accept this crap when people say it about video games, when we wouldn't if the subject was, say, used car/dvd/TV/house/silverware sales?

It's not enough to treat the customer like a criminal and overcharge because of your huge development costs, now lets try to kill the entire used games business and thereby eliminate the entire lower class from being able to LEGALLY play games.

And what about games that aren't freaking available new, you dolt? Why should somebody pay you twice for one copy of a game? Idiot. Gotta love the unbridled arrogance and avarice of some folks.

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
Samurai Goomba said:
I would just like to say that I personally despise everyone who believes this way. Why to we accept this crap when people say it about video games, when we wouldn't if the subject was, say, used car/dvd/TV/house/silverware sales?

It's not enough to treat the customer like a criminal and overcharge because of your huge development costs, now lets try to kill the entire used games business and thereby eliminate the entire lower class from being able to LEGALLY play games.
That's exactly what they want, us lower class scum dont deserve luxuries like video games. Video Games are only for the elite who have plenty of disposable cash.