dyre

Mar 30, 2011
Baresark said:
dyre said:
Baresark said:
dyre said:
Baresark said:
Cid SilverWing said:
I'd type a wall of rage, but the unmitigated amount of Republican stupidity is just...
What, pray tell, does Republicans have to do with an of this? That comment makes as much sense as the article in regards to the title.
The Republican unregulated "free market" policies allows the groups like the RIAA to rip-off musicians more, forcing those musicians to rely on live performances more, causing more deaths when bad weather causes stage collapse!
snip

Haha, sorry man. I posted that... then re-read what you said and was like, "oh shit, he was being sarcastic". Then I figured I would just wait for the fallout of my need to defend free markets that overshadows my logic sometimes, haha. That is totally my bad. Sometimes, I just need to be reminded that everyone on these forums are not complete and total douche bags, and that sometimes I am, haha.
hah, no worries. I'm sure you'll have ample opportunity to defend Adam Smith elsewhere :p

Tien Shen

Mar 25, 2010
You are all wrong, this clearly was an inside job. I am sure that it was a controlled demolition of the stage by the insurance company as a false flag operation against piracy!

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
This makes even less sense when you take into account that most bands see nothing from their CD sales.

I shit you not, if you ever get the chance, ask a band where their money comes from. Its usually from on the night merch.

Elementlmage

Aug 14, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Elementlmage said:
The decrease in CD sales is due SOLELY to the increase in popularity digital distribution like Itunes.
If that was true, the decline wouldn't have started before DD, or even before file sharing.

The recording industry is actually making MORE money now than they were in the 90's when CDs were at the peak of their popularity.
[Citation needed]

And, to refute your other point; pirates buy more music that people who don't pirate.
According to pirate-friendly studies which are few in number. A neutral (Not funded by the RIAA or similar as well) source would be nice.

Because they are exposed to much more variety, they are far more likely to purchase music than they would not have otherwise even known about.
Which is why the best sellers are still the crap you hear on the radio.

Whereas, those who aren't exposed to the increased volume and variety of music aren't as likely to spend money on musical acts that they have never heard or heard of.

Radio killed Vaudeville

Video killed Radio

Cassettes killed Vinyl

CDs killed the Cassette

Digital Distribution killed the CD

It's as simple as that.

Also:

Very interesting use of bandwagon appeal, though that section of your argument is now invalid... Or, it could prove to be a very interesting dynamic?

You see, now that people don't have to buy them whole album, they are free to purchase just that song they heard on the radio. Note, that when you factor in single sales to graph above it, the trend never drops off but continues to increase. However, we both know a single only costs $1. So, one could argue, and with the drop off revenue (not profit), provide decent proof for said argument, that the drop off in album sales almost perfectly correlates to the increased popularity of single sales.

Coincidence? Please see above:

"Digital Distribution killed the CD"

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Mekado said:
No, no, i'm pretty sure your boat dosen't float because of that communist Obama o_O
But pirates are communists. They want to "share" our intellectual property! Ergo, Obama is a pirate.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Musicians are already forced to make their living with live performances because the music labels won't give them a red cent for their CD sales anyway.

KaiserKnight

Jul 2, 2011
It does make sense. The thing is Lawyers, Banks, Insurance Companies and large corporations have 10 loop-holes for any given situation. If it makes sense in a way and can be reasoned they can go with that reason.

Its like paying them (insurance company) for 30 years, never even had a sniffle and when you need a heart surgery they won't cover you. Why? Because you had a tooth abscess when you were 7. That infection leads to one thing to another, to another, to ANOTHER thing and in the end can cause you to have a heart infection (0.05% for such a long time but STILL). Yet you never told them that when you signed up. So you are in void and they do not and will not cover you. Simple. Done. End of it. Do not speak to make a reason since I (insurance company) do not give a %&^@. Why are yo-SECURITY!

So yeah, that is how they can and will work at times.

Corporal Yakob

Nov 28, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
If you hadn't been born at all, then we wouldn't even be here, because there'd only be three of us, and three isn't enough to go on University Challenge. So it's your fault.

Cookie for reference.

How about blaming Marty McFly for inventing Rock and Roll? Because without that, there'd never be a festival.

GREAT SCOTT!
Young Ones right?

I personally blame Belgium for existing in the first place to allow this concert to be held-if only we could go back in time and destroy the Belgian land to save these lives!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Elementlmage said:

So your entire argument comes from evidence based on a source that would be the equivalent of a piracy study from the RIAA. Even Apple's figures weren't that optimistic, but take it for gospel if it makes you feel better.

Good.

Very interesting use of bandwagon appeal, though that section of your argument is now invalid
It's not use of bandwagon appeal per se, it was a rebuttal to your specious, undemonstrable claims. Claims which are still not backed up no less. Don't make a poor claim and then try and kill the reality check as part of a populist approach. It is a DIRECT response to this nonsense about additional exposure.

Elementlmage

Aug 14, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Elementlmage said:

So your entire argument comes from evidence based on a source that would be the equivalent of a piracy study from the RIAA. Even Apple's figures weren't that optimistic, but take it for gospel if it makes you feel better.

Good.

Very interesting use of bandwagon appeal, though that section of your argument is now invalid
It's not use of bandwagon appeal per se, it was a rebuttal to your specious, undemonstrable claims. Claims which are still not backed up no less. Don't make a poor claim and then try and kill the reality check as part of a populist approach. It is a DIRECT response to this nonsense about additional exposure.
Yeah, I am utterly failing to see how the information I am seeing comes from a "pro-piracy" website.

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/stories/021711disruption

Te only thing I can see, is that you attempt to refute any evidence, claim, or opinion that doesn't sit well with your claims as "pro-piracy." To borrow a phrase from Apple, there's a fallacy for that.

Even Apple's figures weren't that optimistic, but take it for gospel if it makes you feel better.
Apple isn't the only player in the market place(as much as they think or wish they were). Add in the numbers from sites like Zune, Amazon and Rhapsody and the numbers should flesh out quite nicely.

http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Logic-Antidote-Uncritical-Thinking/dp/0155030361/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316368976&sr=8-1

Great book, and you would do well to read it....but holy FUCK at that new price! Yeah, used all the way!

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Oh no! Musicians had to resort to live performance? Well, I'd never...

If you're a musician, it is your obligation to preform live. I would never buy music from a band I never heard live. As far as I know, they can be talentless assholes who use modern technology to make their voice sound tolerable. If you're a talentless asshole you don't deserve to make money in music industry. If you are talented then go on a tour, make your fans happy. They will in return buy your music legally. Those who don't are just like software pirates - not to be considered as lost sales!

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
..Wait, what? But.. how?

Apparently, the insurance companies are attempting to pull a Michele Bachmann.. We don't need anymore Bachmann's, insurance companies!

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
Enrathi said:
Wow, next thing you know, the current world financial situation will be blamed on video game piracy. Why not? Everything else is blamed on games.
Yeah but at least both of those have to do with money!

OT: This is so stupid it even seems disrespectful to the people who died to try and rig this up against piracy.

CosmicCommander

Friendly Neighborhood Troll?
Apr 11, 2009
jurnag12 said:
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand there went my faith in Humanity.
Farewell, old friend. Thou shalt not be missed in this current age.
Oh, shut up. Sincerely, I'm sick of melodrama like that in every single thread detailing some incompetence or another.

Meh, it does make some sense. Even if it is true, it is probably being disproportionally exaggerated, though.