Intel Predicts GTA V Will Hit PCs Soon

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Saulkar said:
Piracy cannot be considered the issue given that the game has already been pirated all to high heaven on the consoles.
Source? Yes, it can be pirated on consoles. But is it a significant amount? What little traffic I've seen on gta torrents prior to and since release seems to state otherwise, certainly not at 'high heaven' levels. All things considered, I can't see anything suggesting that piracy even dented their record breaking sales.

Whatever their reasons, given their sales it's unlikely they're going to see any fault in their decision.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
"We had miss cleo shake a magic 8-ball at stonehenge, and the results indicate our chances are very good."

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Jadak said:
http://wccftech.com/gta-v-xbox-360-ps3-leaked-torrents-heavily-pirated-prior-launch/

I personally saw about 850 seeders and about 500 leachers on one torrent a couple weeks ago. However the largest I can find right now has fluctuated between 1-200 seeders over the past week... scratch that, it is down to less than 100. No, I did not pirate it, I do not even own a 360/PS3 anymore. Also am I allowed to name the site in this instance?

P.S. I cannot comment upon how many of those who download also seeded (I could not find an actual study" but even if it is as generous as 1-10 that is still a sizable amount.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
GTA may or may not be ported to the PC at this rate, but in all honesty I don't see Rockstar showing any sign that they care.

"I think it hurt Halo overall," Silva.

Really? I'm pretty sure the inability to top Halo 3's sales in four games and declining popularity since 2010 has already done that.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Ultratwinkie said:
It will.

They already found PC code in the console version, fully completed with assets.

R is waiting for something, possibly next gen because PS4 is mentioned too.

Which would validate intel's notion of exclusivity, since xbox one isn't mentioned in files.
Really now? Well, either it gets ported, or it's a case like Maxis considering the 'possibility' of an Offline Mode.

Adon Cabre

Jun 14, 2012
Ultratwinkie said:
Adon Cabre said:
snip
Ultratwinkie said:
Adon Cabre said:
Funny, because those "dollaar bills" skyrocketed Gabe Newell into billionaire status.

Steam made 1 billion before it was cool.

http://www.giantbomb.com/steam/3015-718/forums/steam-makes-1-billion-dollars-in-2010-pc-gaming-de-479799/

Especially since steam alone has 70 million accounts, which is more than xbox has.
Those are pretty good numbers for a year that saw console sales declining, albeit it they still generated 6x's more profit [http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/video-game-sales-down-in-2010-but-xbox-360-sets-record/], not counting software sales; so lets just put it at an even 10 Billion for Nintendo, Xbox360 & PS3 console and software profits in 2010.

70 Million accounts on Steam? Wow. That's counting virtually all hardcore and casual users. But the Xbox360 surpassed 70 Million consoles in 2012 [http://www.techradar.com/us/news/gaming/consoles/microsoft-xbox-360-bypasses-70-million-sales-milestone-1106039]; and the Playstation 3 edged that a few months later [http://gamer.blorge.com/2012/11/17/ps3-lifetime-sales-surpasses-70-million-units-fastest-selling-hd-console/].

Accounts don't really matter on consoles, since people aren't ball and chained to DRM registration. But that's the price PC users pay for cheaper Third Party Titles and glitchy Simcity exclusives.

Unless we're talking MMO figures (and many of whose subscribers rarely buy other games), STEAM doesn't really compare and the Playstation 4 hasn't exactly chased away the consumer with it's impressive specs and sexy design. Especially as it sips power.

The future is back in SONY's hands, and developers will prioritize them over PC and XboxOne.
Oh right because hardware, being metal, plastic, and physical items that costs hundreds and hundreds of dollars sold at a mark up is comparable to digital games sold for 2.50$-15$ at steam. Of course it will have a bigger number if its costs are much higher.

and its hilarious you cite NPD:

No one takes NPD seriously, not even EA anymore. NPD is an outdated relic from the 90s when everything was retail. Hell, NPD doesn't even count the hardware sales of PC parts manufacturing.

Which is UP.

http://www.techspot.com/news/53536-pc-gamers-fuel-hardware-sales-in-otherwise-stagnant-market.html

and making more money?

Activision
EA
http://investor.ea.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=594196
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/33515/EA_NPD_Data_A_Misrepresentation_Of_The_Entire_Industry.php
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/361110/ea-is-making-more-from-pc-than-ps3/
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/358977/pc-is-the-fastest-growing-platform-ea-boss/

Both say NPD is full of shit and shouldn't be used in a digital age.

All of them get most of their cash from PC.

And what does it matter if its hardcore or casual?

Consoles have casual users too that only plays COD or halo and nothing more.

and nice to know you disregard console accounts in an age of multiplayer everything.

Seriously, am I talking to someone in 1994 when NPD still mattered? NPD is as "thorough" as checking vinyl record sales and tying that to the health of the music industry.
Okay...

Really? A Publisher spurns the facts from an accredited research firm. Big surprise there. Bigger surprise that you believe them. (Seeing as how PC gamers would be the only ones to find those statements -- connect the dots, he's charming your community). Anyways, putting the digital fiasco aside, it isn't hard to track hard-copy sales from consoles.

Any research firm can do that.

[h4]Growing PC market[/h4]
Another article hinting toward this subject recently came up on the Escapist [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.830203-Research-Warns-of-Possible-Game-Industry-Crash#20239015]. I even thought to put a pre-response to this subject on the thread but I thought you understood the parameters of this problem.

Question: What is a PC gamer?

When Facebook "Farmville" enthusiasts proclaim their status as a PC gamer the actual term starts to get muddled. You realize that PC gaming, according to many online research groups, includes every online facebook games, and gambling games and MMO's the world over -- it doesn't differentiate between any of them.

EA is a huge corporation that does more than COD sales. It's involved in all of those other game genres I listed above, with consumers who have no idea what Crysis 3 or SimCity is. Yet you lump them all together when no online gaming site subscribes to this idea.

(That EA fiscal report also highlights cellphone and tablet game sales. Strange.)

[h4]Console Software Sales[/h4]

Myth #1: PC sales will match or triumph the console.

Really? Do you visit this site often? Or watch the news?

In less than ONE WEEK, Grand Theft Auto V just sold over One billion dollars in hardcopy and digital downloads on the xbox360 and PS3 consoles. Apparently, when all of those COD and Halo players unite, they can set a WORLDWIDE MEDIA SALES records.

The PC community wouldn't even come close -- and that's beside the fact that 35+% of said community would have pirated it. (And yes, I've seen the report indicating that pirating is not so extensive. Then along came Gentlemen! [http://www.joystiq.com/2013/08/24/indie-game-gentlemen-was-bought-144-times-pirated-over-50-000/]).

I swear, of all the times to put up that erroneous claim of PC rising superiority, it has never been so flawed and disproved as it has been this last week. Aside from the fact that Intel will begin their campaign of subtly jabbing away at the console industry because of AMD's successful contract; but you might buy their arguments any-how.

Just read between the lines.

consoles sway this industry in ways the PC community couldn't imagine​

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Saulkar said:
Jadak said:
http://wccftech.com/gta-v-xbox-360-ps3-leaked-torrents-heavily-pirated-prior-launch/

I personally saw about 850 seeders and about 500 leachers on one torrent a couple weeks ago. However the largest I can find right now has fluctuated between 1-200 seeders over the past week... scratch that, it is down to less than 100. No, I did not pirate it, I do not even own a 360/PS3 anymore. Also am I allowed to name the site in this instance?

P.S. I cannot comment upon how many of those who download also seeded (I could not find an actual study" but even if it is as generous as 1-10 that is still a sizable amount.
Well, no.. It really isn't, not relative to the sales figures the game is getting. A few hundred seeds here, a few thousands there. Even if those figures are a 10th of pirated copies, GTA 5 has sold what, 15 million copies as of almost 2 weeks ago? Sure, the lost sales would still add up to a decent chunk of change, but as a percentage of the total it is nothing, and personally I don't feel PC sales would boast the same ratios.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Adon Cabre said:
The PC community wouldn't even come close -- and that's beside the fact that 35+% of said community would have pirated it. (And yes, I've seen the report indicating that pirating is not so extensive. Then along came Gentlemen! [http://www.joystiq.com/2013/08/24/indie-game-gentlemen-was-bought-144-times-pirated-over-50-000/]).
I don't really care about this debate, but I feel the need to point out that your example here is a really bad one for the argument you're trying to make. It's an Android game, not PC, so using it as evidence of rampant PC piracy is fallacious at best and blatantly dishonest at worst. It's kinda like saying PC players are pirates because GTAV was leaked (and therefore pirated) heavily days before release.

And yes, the NPD's sales figures really are completely full of shit and are utterly useless, for PC games at the minimum. They have outright said that they don't track digital sales, and the vast majority of PC game sales are digital nowadays. That means any argument using their figures to prove anything related to the PC game market is inherently inaccurate.

Omega500

Dec 2, 2009
Mcoffey said:
That'd be nice. I've never not loved a Rock star game, but this shit really tests my patience.
I know right if they just say yeah we are making it for PC or nar not gonna happen.
When they say they are i'll wait but if they were just come out and say nope. I'll go buy it for my ps3.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Jadak said:
Well, no.. It really isn't
I will concede but your choice of words, due to the fact that text is tone agnostic, are rather off putting taken at face value.

Adon Cabre

Jun 14, 2012
Agayek said:
Adon Cabre said:
I don't really care about this debate, but I feel the need to point out that your example here is a really bad one for the argument you're trying to make. It's an Android game, not PC, so using it as evidence of rampant PC piracy is fallacious at best and blatantly dishonest at worst. It's kinda like saying PC players are pirates because GTAV was leaked (and therefore pirated) heavily days before release.

And yes, the NPD's sales figures really are completely full of shit and are utterly useless, for PC games at the minimum. They have outright said that they don't track digital sales, and the vast majority of PC game sales are digital nowadays. That means any argument using their figures to prove anything related to the PC game market is inherently inaccurate.
And all I'm saying is that the digital sales on the PC are being grossly overstated because the PC community -- with the exception of a major console title launch like Grand Theft Auto V -- practically controls the traffic on most gaming sites.

And we all want to hear affirmation.

You say that PC digital sales figures aren't clear, and you're right. ORIGIN and EA are lumping all facets of online gaming revenue together on purpose; but that doesn't mean PC digital sales on Assassin's Creed 3 were even half of the 5+ million hardcopies moved by the Playstation 3.

Everyone assumes PC sales-figures must be equal because of how cheaply they bundle them. But just because the Internet feels big doesn't mean that it is.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Adon Cabre said:
And all I'm saying is that the digital sales on the PC are being grossly overstated because the PC community -- with the exception of a major console title launch like Grand Theft Auto V -- practically controls the traffic on most gaming sites.

And we all want to hear affirmation.

You say that PC digital sales figures aren't clear, and you're right. ORIGIN and EA are lumping all facets of online gaming revenue together on purpose; but that doesn't mean PC digital sales on Assassin's Creed 3 were even half of the 5+ million hardcopies moved by the Playstation 3.

Everyone assumes PC sales-figures must be equal because of how cheaply they bundle them. But just because the Internet feels big doesn't mean that it is.
What the hell are you talking about? I never said anything about any of that. All I said is that you can't use NPD sales figures to gauge the true size of the PC market. Retail sales of PC games are all but non-existent now, with maybe one or two shelves in the back corner of a GameStop or Walmart, and so you kinda have to rely on the reports of Valve, EA, etc to gauge the size of the PC market. They're the only ones with the sales data, for better or worse.

When comparing them though, it's pretty obvious that, in publishers' minds at least, consoles, by far, sell more AAA games than PC does. How much of that thinking is driven by the NPD figures and a crippling fear of the big scary PC piracy craze that's overstated by several orders of magnitude by pretty much every publisher and developer in the industry is up for debate, but all you have to do is look at the business models to see that it's true. That does raise the question, though, of whether or not that would remain true if the AAA publishers treated the PC the same way they do consoles.

Personally, I doubt it. AAA gaming is unlikely to ever achieve the same numbers in the PC space as on consoles, if only because the general public has been trained for decades that gaming is primarily a console-driven hobby. It'd be interesting to see one of the major publishers actually embrace the PC as a platform though and go the way of CDPR.

zumbledum

Nov 13, 2011
Saulkar said:
I still do not understand why Rockstar insist on making these games initially exclusive for consoles.
a short history on exclusives. console producer wants to sell consoles, knows best way to do it is to have exclusive content so consumers have to use their console to play, console producers takes huge sacks of cash/ pays for the entire development/offers other incentives to buy the exclusive.

its not developers that want exclusives , its not publishers. its the console makers that force the situation

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I wish it was true as you say Intel, but "7-8 months later" is not really soon now is it. Rockstar seems to like it to release it when barely any interest in that game then blames the pirates for low sales.

I will play it regardless when it will come out. I just got Heartstone Beta invite so that will keep me occupied for the next coming months. That and some other games that come out in the end of Octomber.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
zumbledum said:
console producers takes huge sacks of cash/ pays for the entire development/offers other incentives to buy the exclusive.
I am aware that console manufacturers pay developers/publishers but what you are saying is that a console developer is willing to pay a major portion/all of a game's development if the developer or publisher makes it an exclusive? If so, how often is this an exclusive case? Here, give me a moment to elaborate cause I may butcher what I am about to say. :)

Like, is it possible that a developer or publisher chooses a lump sum of money from a console manufacturer that may in fact be less than what could be earned if it was not made an exclusive but is earned all at once vs over time. If this is in fact a reality (I do not know) has its short term nature ever backfired?