Intel Predicts GTA V Will Hit PCs Soon

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Intel Predicts GTA V Will Hit PCs Soon

Intel doesn't seem worried about the console exclusivity of Grand Theft Auto V, hypothesizing that it'll make its way to PC platforms soon enough.

While console gamers have been busy managing their Grand Theft Auto V criminal empires for the past few weeks, PC players haven't been able to do much more than watch from the sidelines. There's no PC version of the game and no port announced, but Intel's Chris Silva believes that it won't be too long before Rockstar's latest title finds itself on PC rigs. His reasoning? The PC market is simply too large to pass up.

"I think it hurt Halo overall," Silva said regarding Microsoft's plan to keep the Halo series exclusive to consoles. "At least with Grand Theft Auto I don't think it'll be a console exclusive very long. But that's what happens when you have a brand new launch with two companies that have lots of money trying to make sure they have content."

After Grand Theft Auto IV was released in April 2008, it was ported to PC before the end of the year. Rockstar hasn't announced any plans to do something similar with GTA V, but Silva theorizes that the developer is keeping that quiet for a reason. "Somebody paid a lot of money to make sure that title was exclusive," he says.

It makes sense that Intel would have faith in the strength of the PC ecosystem, but does Rockstar share that belief? There's certainly money to be made from PC gamers, but I'll wait for official word from Rockstar before I start upgrading my gaming rig to prepare for Los Santos.

Source: PC Gamer [http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/10/08/intel-on-gta-5-pc-release-i-dont-think-it-will-be-console-exclusive-very-long/]

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
At least it's mostly the same graphics engine as GTA IV (even turned down a bit for framerate), so now that gaming PCs are fast enough to handle the horribly crappy GTA IV port at decent fps, they should handle the GTA V port at decent fps.

Or maybe... MAYBE since there are PS4 and XBone versions on the way there will actually be a decent PC port. I'm afraid to hope.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
I still do not understand why Rockstar insist on making these games initially exclusive for consoles. The money made from selling the game on PCs, should it not over time be greater than being paid to make it an exclusive or was it simply the desire to have a smaller sum all at once? Piracy cannot be considered the issue given that the game has already been pirated all to high heaven on the consoles.

Whatever reason it may be (outside of an honest to God effort to optimise the game for PC) I really cannot say I would personally agree with it. Max Payne 3 was released on the PC alongside the consoles and it did really well but given that we are still waiting (probably in vain) for R.D.R. on the PC I still feel justified in heckling Rockstar, even if it is only in bitterness.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Upgrading your rig? What's in your rig dragging it down?

I think my 4670K and 670 GTX can handle it thanks, if it ever does come to PC, if not, no big.

Adon Cabre

Jun 14, 2012
[HEADING=2]Stay Positive[/HEADING]
The money Rockstar could make on the PC is dollars bills compared to the Benjamin's the consoles brought them. No, I think Rockstar is putting its effort into a Next Gen port.

With close to 1.5 Million projected Playstation 4 sales in the first week and a projected 10 Million consoles by 2014's end, it's gonna be a ballpark year for SONY and Microsoft. Rockstar should look for a piece of that pie, charging current gen owners $10-$20 to upgrade to Next Gen -- that's a nice little surplus.

They've already made created a Playstation and Xbox online ecosystem, so why not?

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
Soon enough? That's not soon enough! [/Futurama]

Meh. I remember when GTA was a PC game first that they ported to consoles, not a console exclusive that they might some day put on PC.

I also remember when GTA was good.

I also remember when all this were fields.

CBanana

Aug 10, 2010
PC Gamers for once should be thankful for Call of Duty as that series shows that a game can still be wildly successful even with a simultaneous PC release. Without that, all the AAA studios would be severely tempted to follow Rockstar's GTA V example and eschew PC releases.

At any rate, Intel is just pulling this prediction out of thin air. They might as well have said that Half-Life 3 was likely while they were at it.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
That's a lot of hot air coming from Intel considering Rockstar hasn't said anything of the PC platform just yet.

Also I haven't seen Halo hurt since it went console exclusive after one game, I do believe consoles should be allowed their own exclusives rather than live in a world full of delusion about games having lives and "being held hostage".

Then again I sometimes hate it when others who want their cake and eat it too try their hand at denying others of the same ideal.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Kinitawowi said:
Soon enough? That's not soon enough! [/Futurama]

Meh. I remember when GTA was a PC game first that they ported to consoles, not a console exclusive that they might some day put on PC.

I also remember when GTA was good.

I also remember when all this were fields.
You mean the first two games plus expansions? It was nice but not that great. I really started liking this series When GTA 3 came out (and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one), which, like all GTA games after it, was originally a console exclusive.

I prefer getting a proper PC version at the same time the console versions get released (or sooner if possible), but I can't say that the series was that good before GTA 3.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
With GTA, it's always been a bit gated at first. The original was PC, then Playstation. The second was PC, then Playstation, then Dreamcast. 3 was PS2 then later released for Xbox and PC. Same with Vice City and San Andreas. This is not without precedent. But I can certainly see how PC only gamers would feel a bit marginalized.

I honestly wonder if this isn't part of their plan. I can't speak for others, but I played San Andreas on the PS2 then later again on the Xbox. Most of them I've picked up for more than one platform. Maybe they think that gating it off makes the eventual port more desirable in an effort to sell the game to many of the same people twice. If they come out and say "The PC port is the definitive version!" then some people who've already played the game will inevitably want to see it again in glorious PC vision.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I'll buy GTA5 if:
The controls are as good as Saints Row 4.
getting busted is no longer a thing.

Also I hope he game plays well on PC.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
Before Red Dead Redemption, I would have said there's no way Rockstar (or 2K, their publisher) would pass on the PC market. But Rockstar (or 2K) makes enough money apparently on the consoles, and who knows if Sony/Microsoft paid for exclusivity?

It would be nice to see a PC GTAV, but I wonder if it will come at all still.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
I would prefer RDR, if it's all the same with you Rockstar. If it can on a 360 or a PS3 it should have no trouble on any PC that is skewed towards gaming.

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
Always seemed pretty obvious to me that they would hold off on the PC release to coincide with the likely port to the next gen consoles. No doubt that it will be the same version across the board given the obvious architecture benefits of the new consoles in porting.

That and they want to double down and get people to re-purchase it all over again after the new consoles are in circulation.

Adon Cabre

Jun 14, 2012
Ultratwinkie said:
Adon Cabre said:
[HEADING=2]Stay Positive[/HEADING]
The money Rockstar could make on the PC is dollars bills compared to the Benjamin's the consoles brought them. No, I think Rockstar is putting its effort into a Next Gen port.

With close to 1.5 Million projected Playstation 4 sales in the first week and a projected 10 Million consoles by 2014's end, it's gonna be a ballpark year for SONY and Microsoft. Rockstar should look for a piece of that pie, charging current gen owners $10-$20 to upgrade to Next Gen -- that's a nice little surplus.

They've already made created a Playstation and Xbox online ecosystem, so why not?
Funny, because those "dollaar bills" skyrocketed Gabe Newell into billionaire status.

Steam made 1 billion before it was cool.

http://www.giantbomb.com/steam/3015-718/forums/steam-makes-1-billion-dollars-in-2010-pc-gaming-de-479799/

Especially since steam alone has 70 million accounts, which is more than xbox has.
Those are pretty good numbers for a year that saw console sales declining, albeit it they still generated 6x's more profit [http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/video-game-sales-down-in-2010-but-xbox-360-sets-record/], not counting software sales; so lets just put it at an even 10 Billion for Nintendo, Xbox360 & PS3 console and software profits in 2010.

70 Million accounts on Steam? Wow. That's counting virtually all hardcore and casual users. But the Xbox360 surpassed 70 Million consoles in 2012 [http://www.techradar.com/us/news/gaming/consoles/microsoft-xbox-360-bypasses-70-million-sales-milestone-1106039]; and the Playstation 3 edged that a few months later [http://gamer.blorge.com/2012/11/17/ps3-lifetime-sales-surpasses-70-million-units-fastest-selling-hd-console/].

Accounts don't really matter on consoles, since people aren't ball and chained to DRM registration. But that's the price PC users pay for cheaper Third Party Titles and glitchy Simcity exclusives.

Unless we're talking MMO figures (and many of whose subscribers rarely buy other games), STEAM doesn't really compare and the Playstation 4 hasn't exactly chased away the consumer with it's impressive specs and sexy design. Especially as it sips power.

The future is back in SONY's hands, and developers will prioritize them over PC and XboxOne.