Interactive Pokemon Twitch Feed Attracts Thousands of Players

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Interactive Pokemon Twitch Feed Attracts Thousands of Players

A custom Python script created by an anonymous user has allowed thousands of gamers to play the same game of Pokemon Red at the same time.

Playing Pokemon with others is pretty standard part of the experience. Heck, right back to the series earliest' days, the "catch 'em all" process required the cooperation of other players. That being the case, somehow we can't help but suspect that Nintendo didn't intend for cooperative play that involved thousands of people trying to play the same game at the same time.

That being said, that's exactly what's been happening thanks to an anonymous Twitch user who created a custom script allowing viewers to deliver remote commands to an ongoing (emulated) game of Pokemon Red. "I wrote a script in Python that listens for buttons said in chat and simulates a keypress for the corresponding button in the emulator," said the user. Pokemon, he said, "seemed like a natural choice due to its lack of reaction-demanding gameplay and very forgiving difficulty."

The response to the Twitch feed has been overwhelming with millions of users viewing the feed and thousands more spamming it with overlapping commands that, in turn, have slowed the game's progress to a snail's pace. "I didn't have any expectations of how people would interact with the stream, but I was very curious. I never planned on this many viewers/players." Twitch, in turn, sees this experiment as an interesting "entertainment hybrid" and a "wonderful proof of concept" that it "[hopes] to see more of in the future."

[Twitch=twitchplayspokemon]

Source: <a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-02-17-thousands-of-people-play-pokemon-at-once-via-twitch>Eurogamer

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
So no mention of the epic revolt that happened in chat back in Cerulean over whether or not to get Eevee?

That one was one for the ages.

Meinos Kaen

Jun 17, 2009
Agayek said:
So no mention of the epic revolt that happened in chat back in Cerulean over whether or not to get Eevee?

That one was one for the ages.
... Please elaborate? lol

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
Huh? Why not just catch any water type for surfing?

Anyways, I was on there for about 10 minutes this weekend but they were just in front of the the water gym city and couldn't get the character to walk anywhere because of either commands overlapping and/or people intentionally giving false commands.

Hazzard

Jan 25, 2012
rofltehcat said:

Anyways, I was on there for about 10 minutes this weekend but they were just in front of the the water gym city and couldn't get the character to walk anywhere because of either commands overlapping and/or people intentionally giving false commands.
Capturing pokemon is nearly impossible for them, then they would have to teach it surf, also near impossible.

Canadish

Jul 15, 2010
rofltehcat said:

Capturing pokemon is not a simple operation and usually comes down to some extreme luck (or in the case of Oddish, bad luck).

The whole thing has been hilarious to watch, I joined in back when it was about 10,000 or so and watching it explode and get harder and harder to manage is fantastic. The Eevee civil war was a shame because it gimped the run and lost us some of the favorites for little return.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Meinos Kaen said:
... Please elaborate? lol
Pretty much what this guy said:

SirBryghtside said:
It's summed up pretty well with this image [http://i.imgur.com/9cV06Yq.png] - basically, they needed a Pokémon who could learn surf, and their options were pretty much Lapras from the Rocket base (that they're currently in) or Vaporeon.

They got Eevee, and as that image predicted, they went to the box, released their Charmeleon and Rattata, withdrew a different Rattata, caught an Oddish (which filled their party back up to 6, making the whole box thing pointless), then somehow evolved the Eevee into a Flareon. Now they're pretty much screwed, with only Pidgeot to back them up and no one to learn surf :p

Captcha: baby steps. Sums the whole thing up.
There was pretty much a full-out chat war over whether or not to get the the Eevee and the resulting fallout thereof, and it was acted out in the game, turning the PC into even more of a random schizo.

Speaking as someone who isn't participating and follows it mostly through commentary from a friend, the whole endeavor is hilariously bad.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
This experiment is probably the best argument ever against compulsory voting.

I watched it for about 10 minutes on Sunday morning as they walked around in circles. Came back 8 hours later and they were still walking around in circles in the same area. It makes me wonder whether /v/ decided to troll the stream or something.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
I've got to admit, I've kept track of it since about 12 hours in and I find it absolutely fascinating each time I go back to watch it.

RIP in peace Jay Leno and ABBBBBBBBBBK

[sub]Before anyone says anything, yes I do know that RIP stands for Rest In Peace[/sub]

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
They appear to have released the 2 heavy hitters of the team, and stored the item many people adore. The Children of the Helix are not pleased.

The question is whether this was done deliberately or accidentally.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
<a href=https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Ka89uCBeLl9VV5GPlAKuW7yF8FGtnVmdbPnIwG8FnQ4/preview?sle=true>Here's the official Google Doc with progress.

RIP Abby and Jay Leno, praise based Helix Fossil!

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
I can only assume this gets more productive the less people there are. The few times I've seen it the guy just wonders around the same area for like 5 minuets and I get bored.

heroicbob

Aug 25, 2010
the fact that there are so many people playing this would be bad enough but theres a lot of people on there intentionaly screwing it up i watched it 2 days ago where they were trying to leave cerulean people kept making red save the game
later on they were having trouble getting through rock tunnel because they kept using dig

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Eric the Orange said:
I can only assume this gets more productive the less people there are. The few times I've seen it the guy just wonders around the same area for like 5 minuets and I get bored.
It's gotten a lot harder with 50k and up. Makes it fun though, when the slightest progress seems damn near impossible, said progress is something to celebrate when it occurs.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
I've heard of this before, but this is my first time actually witnessing it myself. It's... kind of fascinating, actually. Well, fascinating and boring at the same time. Is that even possible?

God, I can't even imagine what they'll do when they have to start moving boulders in Victory Road. Even ONE misplaced boulder and they have to leave the area and start again. Holy crap, if it wasn't moving at a snail's pace already, that'll bring it to a grinding halt.

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
I still think the single biggest stumbling block will be the safari zone. Limited to 500 steps, this circle walking is going to end badly.

codeg

Apr 23, 2011
The only bad thing about the stream is that everyone now hates my favorite pokemon...