Interactivity

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
It's funny how "Fun Space Game: The Game" seems to be building itself as you go. And the part about the Bioshock intro reminds me a lot of the Half-Life "cutscenes" in which you're still (mostly) in control of Gordon Freeman.

blackshark121

Jan 4, 2009
Here's your plot for "Fun Space Game: The Game": Aliens attack, humans retaliate, aliens are actually humans from the future, now-humans turn to be evil, later-humans are good. I get a 7.6% cut on everything "Fun Space Game: The Game" earns.

haaxist

Sep 21, 2009
I get what he's saying, the Bioshock intro was very immersive and entertaining and cool. It would have been nice if they had done that in the second game as well, but I don't think it would have had that sense of urgency if the player just kind of ambled along when Eleanor screamed, while in the scene your character sprinted to her rescue.

On another note, can't wait to play "Fun Space Game: The Game".

Rocketboy13

Oct 21, 2008
I definately like your take on how Bioshock 2 should have opened, that sounds very entertaining. Though fully interactive openers get to be a bit tedious on the second or third play through. I would have liked to just be able to make moral choices on a scan-tron in place of playing through the childhood sequence in Fable 2, and Mass Effect is so huge, and I wanted to see some of the alternate endings, having to play out 6-8 different dialogue trees gets a bit taxing when the only real difference is slight inflection. Sometimes I just want a bit of story handed to me right off so I can proceed to the next bit.

ldwater

Jun 15, 2009
Similar to Half Life 1 where even though the whole track thing was a little too much is still felt cool to be just 'average joe Freeman' heading into work, looking around and being bored - before you bring forth the end of the world!! Muhahahahahaha!!!!

TraumaHound

Jan 11, 2009
It's been some time since I played Bioshock 1 but Yahtzee's retelling of the opening brought it all back to mind. He's right, it was gorgeous; not because it "looked" good but because it "felt" good. Swimming to the lighthouse, getting in the elevator, looking around as Ryan's voiceover filled you in. Truly an immersive experience.

...getting in line to buy "FSG:TG" merch...at least a t-shirt with the "Wheel" logo on it...

DMal88

Oct 30, 2009
The scenario you've described in FSG:TG sounds a lot like the second scene in Firefly's pilot episode. At least, in terms of the setting (Big hostile ship 1 finds independent scavenger ship picking off scraps from downed hostile ship 2).

Not saying it's a rip-off though, that scenario is vague enough to be a potential scenario in almost any sci-fi story. Either way, I'm pumped for the finished version, Yahtzee. I was wondering, will there be a Mac port for this game?

Also, inb4 a torrent of "PC Master Race" comments.

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
I agree, the intro was very badly handled, and much of the subtly and pacing was just missing, my guess is it's because Ken Levine had nothing to do with this sequel...=/

But I have to say the third half of the game and the ending was far better than the first at least how I saw it, it just feels like that was the only part 2K Marin really worked on, that and the combat, plus let's not forget to mention the MP...>>

Space Jawa

Feb 2, 2010
and you should see some of the dross they give 5 stars to
I don't spend enough time on Newgrounds to pay attention to ratings like that, but I've seen the same effect on sites like Youtube and Kongregate. I know exactly what you're talking about. Some people will give 5 stars to anything.

MGlBlaze

Oct 28, 2009
I'm liking how you're coming up with the plot of the game so far. Actually that's the same kind of way I like to come up with stories; i.e. throw characters into a situation and then just work things out as I go alone. I like to start with a few ideas for things I specifically want to happen, though.

As far as Bioshock 2's opening goes;
I do like Bioshock 2, but I think your suggestion for a more interactive intro sequence would have been much better than what was there. Although the 'press the LMB/RT to shoot yourself to continue' bit reminds me of the ending sequence for Metal Gear Solid 3 where the game doesn't end until you actually press the 'fire' button to kill The Boss.

In any case, though, that would have been much more interesting; as well as seeing the troubled and somewhat disgusted expressions of the people in the room as you wandered around and came close to them. It would have really driven home how they felt about the Big Daddies.

Space Jawa said:
I don't spend enough time on Newgrounds to pay attention to ratings like that, but I've seen the same effect on sites like Youtube and Kongregate. I know exactly what you're talking about. Some people will give 5 stars to anything.
Case-in-point, the earlier stuff from my current (and first) Let's Play has fairly solid ratings even though they're fucking awful to put it charitably. My very first one has a 4.5/5 rating with 24 votes... I wish I was kidding.

I've gotten better since then, thankfully, but yeah.

CheckD3

Dec 9, 2009
You've got to wonder why game designers seem to think that they need to change EVERYTHING about the opening or such in the sequel when they decide to wring it out for cash. Now IW thought that reusing the shock and awe of a character death more than once would be strong for MW2 since it worked in MW, but were wrong there. Though adding in just one death there I think would shock enough, but overusing it is just that, overusing it.

Though I like the God of War games opening because it fits the character so well. Kratos' entire life has been a battle against everything and everyone (including himself) and the games start off with just that, a massive battle which sets up Kratos as the unstoppable badass that he is. And it works, both in God of War 1 & 2, but they change it enough to make it fresh, but so much that it ruins the entire structure of the beginning

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
In definition, the wheel is less like very first machine and more like very first technology, but whatever, i'm not a linguist.

Eagerly anticipating Fun Space Game: The Game.

CyricZ

Sep 19, 2009
And... and the player gets to be "The Third Wheel"! :-D

*ba dum tish*

One of my favorite things about space combat sims was the immense sense of scale they could give, even back in the 90's. That's underscored by my favorite part of X-Wing Alliance, which is the mission where you have to pick up your uncannily hot sister from an asteroid base, you hyperspace in and boom, there's the goddamn Executor (the Super Star Destroyer) filling half the bloody screen and you have to fly its entire length (albeit from a relatively safe distance) and reach the base.

In the end, the mission itself is nothing particularly special; fly in, fending off a few fighters, sit on the base while your sister packs up all her makeup and girly things and fend off more fighters during which, then fly out with more of the same. You never really got the impression of "holy mother of God that's a giant ship and a lot of fighters coming after me", but of course, you wouldn't know that on your first trip through, so you're half expecting the Executor to at any point notice the fly-like transport off to its starboard, then reach out and swat you away.

Nowadays I know what to expect from the scenario, so I spend most of the time flying the length of the ship in thoughts about how long my droid buddy "Emkay" would last if I jettisoned him towards the ship, solving both my curiosity and an annoyance at once.

So what I'm saying is "big ass ships that let us appreciate their scale", which is of course, a rather tall order. Also no plucky droid buddies.

CyricZ

Sep 19, 2009
MGlBlaze said:
Although the 'press the LMB/RT to shoot yourself to continue' bit reminds me of the ending sequence for Metal Gear Solid 3 where the game doesn't end until you actually press the 'fire' button to kill The Boss.
And what's wrong with that? If you're gonna rip something off, rip off something that was well done, I always say (starting now).

thebackupfreak

Jan 25, 2010
Nice to see that Fun Space Game: The Game is also fun to write; let's hope that that can be seen in the finished product. That seems to be central to a game that is just plain fun to play.

ObsessiveSketch

Nov 6, 2009
Space Jawa said:
I DO spend enough time on newgrounds to pay attention to ratings like that, and he's absolutely right. (I'm also stoked that he frequents the site enough to know what he's talking about! :D)

While humor and inside jokes are fun, the newgrounds community is about 10% artistic animation/game-making, 70% jokes/swearing/dicks (which are funny in small doses, and it has its own place), and 20% complete bull shit.

The good animations on there are well worth the visit, but they tend to be overshadowed by the "next popular thing," even if said thing is vastly inferior in quality.
I'd like to present There She Is, Bitey of Brackenwood, and the Madness series as pieces of undeniable quality and imagination for any first-time newgrounds visitors who might drop by after reading this.