Interesting facts

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
TAGM said:
English money snip!
Wow. And the Brits like to give us yanks shit about how we don't follow the metric system! At least we can say our money makes some sense, even if our other measurements don't. Yay?

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
Fun facts are my specialty. Did you know cooked meat gives you cancer? I did a biochemistry project on it. Carbon rings are formed when meat is cooked and the intestinal cells that line your gut metabolize these into reactive intermediates which then stick to your DNA and lead to colorectal cancer which in the top 3 most common cancers in the world. So remember, order your steaks medium rare or you'll die a horrible ass-cancer related death

Daystar Clarion said:
The masses never thought the world was flat. It was established very early that the world was round.
Did you know the size of the earth was actually calculated by an ancient Egyptian? A guy (can't remember his name) noticed that on a certain day of the year, the sun was directly over his well. On this day, he walked to another town and used a stick and its shadow to find the angle of the sun from where he was which he then used find the radius of curvature of the Earth. This is why no one wanted to give money to Christopher Columbus. He fudged his number to say the earth was smaller than it really was and if the Americas didn't exist he would have been sailing into a huge amount of open ocean

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
TizzytheTormentor said:

When will you all learn!?

Also, each year, coconuts kill more people than sharks...
A male wale will ejaculate 22 gallons of sperm but only 10% is used ... and people wonder why the sea is so salty. (might have the numbers off on that one though).

Henry the 8th only had 2 or 4 wives, depending on if you're Catholic.

Alcohol doesn't kill brain cells, just makes them grow more slowly ... so alcohol does actually make you mentally retarded.

Tree's don't produce a lot of oxygen, they actually use up more than they release. Algae produces 80% of the earths oxygen.

You have 4 nostrils ...

The driest place on earth is Antarctica, which hasn't sen rain for over 2 million years.

The highest mountain is Mount Everest but the tallest is Mauna Kea. Highest is from seabed to summit, tallest is from bottom to top

Chicken Tikka masala was invented in Glasgow in the 1960's.

Guillotine was invented in Halifax.

Nelson's last words were "Drink, drink. Fan, fan. Rub, rub". He also never wore an eye patch.

Napoleon was once owned in battle by rabbits. One of his buddies took him rabbit hunting but instead of hunting wild rabbits, he hunted tame ones. When the rabbits saw him role up on his horesy with his buds, the rabbits thought "tea time" and ran at Napoleon till he retreated.

This is the house of commons in the UK

See them red lines right down the middle of the room? They are an exact distance apart for a reason, if you get two men to hold swords there tips would touch (don't be dirty!). I believe that is also where the term "toeing the line" comes from.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Henkie36 said:
It is physically impossible for you to lick your elbow.

By this point, 90% of you will have tried to lick either one of your elbows.

And the full 100% of those will be bummed that I already knew that was giong to happen.
Urm...

I think it's like rolling your tongue, some can and some can't.

AkaDad

Jun 4, 2011
Female kangaroos have three vaginas and 2 uterus'.

The first soup ever made was rhinoceros soup.

Thanks QI!

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
I think I'll just fun facts to other people's fun facts

Dimitriov said:
Also most mammals have an actual bone in their penises: humans are an unusual exception.
Most animals are also color blind. Color blind in this sense means they don't have the cone in their eyes to see shades of red, like color bind defected men. So now you all can feel special knowing humans have one thing other animals don't (besides the obvious things)

omega 616 said:
Alcohol doesn't kill brain cells, just makes them grow more slowly ... so alcohol does actually make you mentally retarded.
Because of alcohol's affects on nerve cells, its classified as a neurotoxin

direkiller said:
Time for some weird ones:
The current reccored for number of orgasms in one hour is 134,held by a woman
That's probably because men lose the ability to orgasm multiple times after they go through puberty. Kinda depressing...

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
PoolCleaningRobot said:
Fun facts are my specialty. Did you know cooked meat gives you cancer? I did a biochemistry project on it. Carbon rings are formed when meat is cooked and the intestinal cells that line your gut metabolize these into reactive intermediates which then stick to your DNA and lead to colorectal cancer which in the top 3 most common cancers in the world. So remember, order your steaks medium rare or you'll die a horrible ass-cancer related death

Daystar Clarion said:
The masses never thought the world was flat. It was established very early that the world was round.
Did you know the size of the earth was actually calculated by an ancient Egyptian? A guy (can't remember his name) noticed that on a certain day of the year, the sun was directly over his well. On this day, he walked to another town and used a stick and its shadow to find the angle of the sun from where he was which he then used find the radius of curvature of the Earth. This is why no one wanted to give money to Christopher Columbus. He fudged his number to say the earth was smaller than it really was and if the Americas didn't exist he would have been sailing into a huge amount of open ocean
It was Eratosthenes in the 3rd/2nd century BC, and although he lived for most of his life in Alexandria, he was actually Greek, born in the Greek colony of Cyrene in Libya,

PoolCleaningRobot said:

Dimitriov said:
Also most mammals have an actual bone in their penises: humans are an unusual exception.
Most animals are also color blind. Color blind in this sense means they don't have the cone in their eyes to see shades of red, like color bind defected men. So now you all can feel special knowing humans have one thing other animals don't (besides the obvious things)
Compared to some other species, we have arse-all colour vision. We can see three basic colours, red, green and blue, as well as all colours derived from them, as we only have three types of colour-sensitive cones in our eyes. Butterflies have 5 different cones, and so can see 5 separate basic colours, plus all derivatives.
The mantis shrimp can see sixteen colours. They can see many times more colours than our brains are even capable of processing.

To find out more about the mantis shrimp:

Surpheal

Jan 23, 2012
In Yorkshire, England runs the river Wharfe. At a certain point along, the river takes a dramatic drop in depth. This section is the Strid and has killed everyone that has gone into it along that section, due to the intense undertow.

I don't know, that is about all I've got know.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
TBman said:
echidnas have backwards rear legs and a 4 headed penis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIPgY_xtRw8
in other strange animal penis news, snakes have two penises, one on each side of their body

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
PoolCleaningRobot said:

Dimitriov said:

omega 616 said:
Because of alcohol's affects on nerve cells, its classified as a neurotoxin

direkiller said:
Time for some weird ones:
The current reccored for number of orgasms in one hour is 134,held by a woman
That's probably because men lose the ability to orgasm multiple times after they go through puberty. Kinda depressing...
It is, but I would find it disturbing if my body could find the seaman for 134 orgasms in one hour.(that has to be close to a gallon)
I just clarified because I expecting someone to ask

Lethos

Dec 9, 2010
When a wolf in a wolf pack contracts rabies, it will voluntarily leave the pack to die alone.

I read that once on Wikipedia, so no idea how true it is.

Little Woodsman

Nov 11, 2012
CriticalMiss said:
- 'Is the glass half empty or half full?' It's both. One half is empty and the other half is full.
I have had several engineers/engineering students patiently explain to me that what it actually is
is that *the glass is twice as big as it needs to be*.

Little Woodsman

Nov 11, 2012
If you combine matter with antimatter, you get a huge explosion.
*However*
If you eat pasta *and* antipasta, you just get really full.

King Billi

Jul 11, 2012
CriticalMiss said:
- 'Which came first: the chicken or the egg?'. The answer is egg, reptiles mostly lay eggs and were chilling on Earth before birds showed up on the scene.
So if you're an evolutionist then the egg came first but if you're a creationist then you'll say the chicken came first.

CriticalMiss said:
- 'Is the glass half empty or half full?' It's both. One half is empty and the other half is full.
Actually dosen't it depend on whether or not you are pouring water into the glass or out of it?

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I really don't feel like racking my brains for this, so I'm gonna turn it over now to an expert on random facts.

Take it away, Mr. Nigel-Murray.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Unlike horses and dogs, cats were not domesticated by humans. They domesticated themselves. While humans actively went out and trapped horses and dogs and domesticated them, they did not do this to cats. Instead, cats just "showed up" and people saw them as a good sign because they killed the rats and rodents and reduced disease. People would try to get cats to come into their homes by making offerings to them so they would choose their house to kill the rodents in, and people were quite welcoming to them in hopes they would stay. In some villages, it was forbidden to "own a cat" as the cat was seen as "above ownership" and the cat could freely choose which home it wanted to kill rodents in.

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
Bobic said:
Here's my interesting fact. Approximately 75% of interesting facts read on the internet are a load of bull.
Only 75%?

Snails can have penises longer than they are.
An ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain.
Lobsters have an "open" circulatory system, meaning their blood just sloshes around inside them.
The time difference between the stegosaurus and T-rex is greater than the time difference between the T-rex and you.
The longest word in English that doesn't repeat a letter is "uncopyrightable."
The sentence "The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog" was used to test telegraphs because it contains every letter.
If the population of China walked past you in single file, the line would never end due to new births.