Interesting Linus apology video about the PS5

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal

The video is not really about the PS5 per se but it's probably the best tech video about the PS5 (currently) at the same time.

Here's the main bullet points that I took from it:
  • It looks like the PS5 might be able to pull off the near instant loading times Sony is claiming. I felt like the instant loading was very much one of the many corporate lies during a console launch year. Though I'll still need to see it to believe it.
  • If games can load instantly on PS5, exclusives may be the only games actually doing it.
  • It may have come to the point where PCs are now limiting game advancement. The PC Master Race may soon be the PC Peasant Race, how the tides have turned...

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I’ve only skimmed through the video and it seemed to go into the same deep dive stuff we’ve seen earlier. Maybe it mentioned something about Epic having to rewrite parts of UE5 due to its speed too, which seems an extreme measure to take if it was a fluke.

Ed Boon is apparently well aware of its capabilities too, and has said we shouldn’t underestimate what it could mean for game development going forward. It could also be a primary reason why Sony said the console won’t be as cheap as people think. My guess is $500 would be best case. I suppose they’re banking on the goodwill brought on by the PS4’s success, and hedging their bets that PS5 will be like that but only much better tech-wise, without all the various difficulties they had with PS3.

PC will catch up of course, but it will need to do so through brute force, whereas Sony has the advantage of being able to customize its hardware “to the metal” here. Although, I think someone from Epic said this could influence how memory busses are designed on PC as well.

Last edited:

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I’ve only skimmed through the video and it seemed to go into the same deep dive stuff we’ve seen earlier. Maybe it mentioned something about Epic having to rewrite parts of UE5 due to its speed too, which seems an extreme measure to take if it was a fluke.

Ed Boon is apparently well aware of its capabilities too, and has said we shouldn’t underestimate what it could mean for game development going forward. It could also be a primary reason why Sony said the console won’t be as cheap as people think. My guess is $500 would be best case. I suppose they’re banking on the goodwill brought on by the PS4’s success, and hedging their bets that PS5 will be like that but only much better tech-wise, without all the various difficulties they had with PS3.

PC will catch up of course, but it will need to do so through brute force, whereas Sony has the advantage of being able to customize its hardware “to the metal” here. Although, I think someone from Epic said this could influence how memory busses are designed on PC as well.
I don't think the SSD is why the consoles will be more expensive than current-gen launch. The Xbox Series X is supposed to have a GPU comparable to a $700 video card. PC doesn't have the software (Windows or Linux) nor does it have the extra hardware on the motherboards. Plus developers can't assume that every PC player is using a SSD like devs know that every PS5 player has a SSD. PS5 exclusive games are probably the only games that will be taking advantage of it unless devs actually go the extra mile and optimize the game for the system, which they probably won't.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I don't think the SSD is why the consoles will be more expensive than current-gen launch. The Xbox Series X is supposed to have a GPU comparable to a $700 video card. PC doesn't have the software (Windows or Linux) nor does it have the extra hardware on the motherboards. Plus developers can't assume that every PC player is using a SSD like devs know that every PS5 player has a SSD. PS5 exclusive games are probably the only games that will be taking advantage of it unless devs actually go the extra mile and optimize the game for the system, which they probably won't.

The exclusives are the only real reason to buy a console anyway. If the PS5's exclusives take advantage of the tech, and 3rd party games don't I can always just play those games on my PC and still have a great experience.

I'm pretty psyched about the idea of consoles actually not being behind the tech curve for once. Will be really interesting to see which promises are actually fulfilled and which are just hype and marketing speak.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
The exclusives are the only real reason to buy a console anyway. If the PS5's exclusives take advantage of the tech, and 3rd party games don't I can always just play those games on my PC and still have a great experience.
With games becoming available across most platforms, getting a PS5 (or PS4 this gen) or a PC is basically the same thing nowadays. Consoles cost as much as a decent video card so do you want the convenience of the console or move customizable PC for gaming with regards to really only the AAA games? Ryzen APUs can run most current-gen AAA games actually decently and can run anything else very easily. Having a gaming PC and a console are redundant. Thus, the only reason to having a gaming PC is the same exact reason as having a console.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
With games becoming available across most platforms, getting a PS5 (or PS4 this gen) or a PC is basically the same thing nowadays. Consoles cost as much as a decent video card so do you want the convenience of the console or move customizable PC for gaming with regards to really only the AAA games? Ryzen APUs can run most current-gen AAA games actually decently and can run anything else very easily. Having a gaming PC and a console are redundant. Thus, the only reason to having a gaming PC is the same exact reason as having a console.
Having a gaming PC isn't really redundant. You need to have a PC anyway, just for general life things, and a gaming capable PC isn't all that expensive. You can build yourself a gaming desktop for $800 pretty easily. Most people are spending double that on a macbook that has less capability.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Having a gaming PC isn't really redundant. You need to have a PC anyway, just for general life things, and a gaming capable PC isn't all that expensive. You can build yourself a gaming desktop for $800 pretty easily. Most people are spending double that on a macbook that has less capability.
Most people could do pretty much everything they need on Chromebook or tablet honestly. I have a Ryzen 5 APU and to be able to play next-gen games well, I'd need to get a good video card (or next-gen console), which without really looking about the prices I'm guessing it would be at least $200 at minimum. Plus, you can easily wait for the 1st price drop of the consoles since there probably ain't going to be anything worth playing for the 1st couple years anyway. There really isn't much difference between gaming PC or next-gen console honestly.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Most people could do pretty much everything they need on Chromebook or tablet honestly. I have a Ryzen 5 APU and to be able to play next-gen games well, I'd need to get a good video card (or next-gen console), which without really looking about the prices I'm guessing it would be at least $200 at minimum. Plus, you can easily wait for the 1st price drop of the consoles since there probably ain't going to be anything worth playing for the 1st couple years anyway. There really isn't much difference between gaming PC or next-gen console honestly.
Yeah, most people could do everything they needed to on a chromebook (although funny enough, my grandmother has a chromebook and it doesn't support some video file formats so she isn't able to watch everything she wants to watch on it).

Most people also aren't going to buy a chromebook. Most people don't need a computer for anything other than word processing, excel, and surfing the internet, yet people still constantly spend over $1000 on a PC to do those things.

At that price range might as well get a PC you can also game on, it's not costing you anything extra.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Well if Epic already rewrote parts of UE5 for it there’s probably a chance that there will be PS5-specific advantages in multiplat’s kinda like there were for different things in 7th gen. They’re not going to go out of their way for loading parity; that would be like lowering PS4 resolutions this gen to match X1’s just because.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Yeah, most people could do everything they needed to on a chromebook (although funny enough, my grandmother has a chromebook and it doesn't support some video file formats so she isn't able to watch everything she wants to watch on it).

Most people also aren't going to buy a chromebook. Most people don't need a computer for anything other than word processing, excel, and surfing the internet, yet people still constantly spend over $1000 on a PC to do those things.

At that price range might as well get a PC you can also game on, it's not costing you anything extra.
Stuff like the HP Mini Desktops should replace most people's desktops. I kinda feel in general people don't really want a stationary PC anymore where they have to use it at their computer desk.

You can download Play Store apps on a Chromebook so your grandma can install a video player app from there to play videos. I use Moboplayer on Android and it's played everything I've thrown on my phone.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Stuff like the HP Mini Desktops should replace most people's desktops. I kinda feel in general people don't really want a stationary PC anymore where they have to use it at their computer desk.

You can download Play Store apps on a Chromebook so your grandma can install a video player app from there to play videos. I use Moboplayer on Android and it's played everything I've thrown on my phone.
I had a mini-desktop like that at my old job. Fucking despised the thing. It would constantly freeze if I had too many excel docs open at a time. More than once I was tempted to throw it across the room, which is an issue I don't have with full size desktops as they are much less throw-able.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
You'd be surprised at how many people wouldn't be able to afford $800. Especially in third world countries. PC gaming is obviously cheaper in the long run, but the price for entry is too high for someone who lives paycheck to paycheck.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
You'd be surprised at how many people wouldn't be able to afford $800. Especially in third world countries. PC gaming is obviously cheaper in the long run, but the price for entry is too high for someone who lives paycheck to paycheck.
I'm actually not surprised. The PS2 is still a hugely popular console in 3rd world countries. Consoles are luxury items everywhere in the world, and PCs are luxury items in most places that aren't the US, Western Europe, Japan or Korea.

This thread is about the PS5, which isn't even going to be available for sale in many third world countries, so what's the point of even bringing them up?

Reactions: MrCalavera
Nov 9, 2015
  • It may have come to the point where PCs are now limiting game advancement. The PC Master Race may soon be the PC Peasant Race, how the tides have turned...
I remember when the ps3 came out, with its cell processor and its 7800 GTX GPU.

But then Crysis came out. And then the 8800 GTX. All in a year.

Last edited:

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I had a mini-desktop like that at my old job. Fucking despised the thing. It would constantly freeze if I had too many excel docs open at a time. More than once I was tempted to throw it across the room, which is an issue I don't have with full size desktops as they are much less throw-able.
I've deployed thousands of minis at my job and I love the things. I even considered a mini instead of upgrading my desktop about a month back but it honestly didn't make too much sense with my drives and it's always nice having the option to add a video card if I feel like it later. You probably just got some bad luck with your mini hardware-wise or even on the software side. The HP USDTs that we replace with minis can all just spontaneously combust for all I care, they're so freaking slow.

PC has all the bottlenecks that won't allow it to do anything with the SSD that the PS5 should be able to do. It's why if you say upgrade to a PCIe SSD from a SATA SSD, you see pretty much no performance increase even though the PCIe SSD is 5x faster.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I'm actually not surprised. The PS2 is still a hugely popular console in 3rd world countries. Consoles are luxury items everywhere in the world, and PCs are luxury items in most places that aren't the US, Western Europe, Japan or Korea.

This thread is about the PS5, which isn't even going to be available for sale in many third world countries, so what's the point of even bringing them up?
Well, I live in a third world country. Or at least in school we were always taught that we were one, I realize now the term doesn't mean the same thing for everyone. I suppose the more modern term would developing country?

I thought it was worth bringing up, because I've encountered far too many PC elitists who can't comprehend the idea of not having money to set aside for something as expensive as a gaming PC.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I've deployed thousands of minis at my job and I love the things. I even considered a mini instead of upgrading my desktop about a month back but it honestly didn't make too much sense with my drives and it's always nice having the option to add a video card if I feel like it later. You probably just got some bad luck with your mini hardware-wise or even on the software side. The HP USDTs that we replace with minis can all just spontaneously combust for all I care, they're so freaking slow.

PC has all the bottlenecks that won't allow it to do anything with the SSD that the PS5 should be able to do. It's why if you say upgrade to a PCIe SSD from a SATA SSD, you see pretty much no performance increase even though the PCIe SSD is 5x faster.
“Should”

Reactions: MrCalavera

Adam Jensen

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020

And this time, an affordable PS5-level SSD is needed. On top of that it would have to be adopted widely enough in order for the developers to start developing games with that type of storage in mind for the PC. Like it or not, the PS5 SSD is a game changer. This generation of consoles marks the first time that games are being developed with an SSD in mind, and not just any SSD but one that is not even available outside the PS5. Most PC gamers still use large capacity HDD's and dropping a couple of hundred dollars on a high speed 1TB SSD that doesn't even come close to what the PS5 offers doesn't exactly cut it.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
My last desktop lasted over 9 years with upgrades, and carried me through almost two console generations. As long as they keep making desktops I’ll always prefer the customizable platform over anything mobile/portable. I personally wouldn’t want to take a computer on the go when I already have to do that with a phone (also hate typing on those tiny damn things too).

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010