Interesting take on Portal 2's ending...

Glamorgan

Seer of Light
Aug 16, 2009
Why would she? GLaDOS admitted Chell was too stubborn to test, and She has a whole Vault of test subjects now. Plus, the Portal gun got sucked out into space, if you look closely. While it's possible, especially since the pictures had no relevancy to the game itself, I just don't see it as likely.

de5gravity

Apr 18, 2011
AC10 said:
I guess all this is possible, but if you've beaten the co-op you can probably guess how Portal 3 will be playing out...
[PORTAL 2 COOP ENDING SPOILER] So you think Portal 3 will be something like the humans rebelling against Glados?

Hazardlife

Jul 14, 2009
At least the ending of Portal 2 suggests humanity will ultimately triumph over the Combine, or else Chell would likely have surfaced to find the world desolate and lifeless. That's my take on it, anyway.

CheckD3

Dec 9, 2009
I want to hypothesize that when Wheatley was in charge of the labs, he messed up everything and moved his chambers towards the top, since he could move things around. When Glados got back in control, she moved her lab back to deeper underground, because she had to clean up the lab after Wheatley fucked everything up.

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
de5gravity said:
Gigatoast the problem is not the fact that it's sunny.

The suspicious part is when you're fighting wheatley, and the ceiling falls, you can see the moon. The surface is right there. But after you pass out, and you ride up the elevator from the same room, it takes MUCH longer to get outside.
Are you really in the same room? OR are you in an entirely different room, having been recuperated for an unknown amount of time?

de5gravity

Apr 18, 2011
Joseph375 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ASgw5oa6SM

A weird easter egg in the credits. Discuss.
I'm adding this to my OP. This is officially suspicious.

Anarchemitis said:
de5gravity said:
Gigatoast the problem is not the fact that it's sunny.

The suspicious part is when you're fighting wheatley, and the ceiling falls, you can see the moon. The surface is right there. But after you pass out, and you ride up the elevator from the same room, it takes MUCH longer to get outside.
Are you really in the same room? OR are you in an entirely different room, having been recuperated for an unknown amount of time?
I think we are NOT in the same room, but another one she made look like the one where we fought wheatley, so she could fool us into believing we made it outside. We don't know how much time Chell was out, Glados could have had plenty of time to do whatever.

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
Proverbial Jon said:
It's always fun to play again and spot the stuff I missed though.
And in Portal 2's case that might be quite a bit. There's an incredible amount of foreshadowing that you would pass off as nonsense during your first playthrough. Case in point: The turret that refers to itself as "different" will also say "her name is Caroline" if you listen long enough.

It's sort of like playing Vampire Bloodlines as a Malkavian as a second playthrough if you follow that reference.

callmegreen

Jan 29, 2011
I Found Translation of the Turret Opera if any thinks it could hold some kind significance to anything http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Turret_Opera_(Cara_Mia)

Dunvi

Feb 5, 2011
Proverbial Jon said:
One of the commentary nodes talks about how Valve had to try and put all the different sections of the game together, how they had to make sure that you got to each area in a way that was believable. It ends by asking the player if they can spot the one transition which was completely implausible. I'd say that was the long elevator ride at the ending. Just a guess.
Actually, there's no evidence that there weren't loads of facility between you and the surface, and they've all just fallen away because Wheatley was doing such an incompetent job at taking care of the place.

On the other hand, my opinion for the implausibility is the moon itself. Think about it. When you're hanging out in space, desperately holding on, you tilt your head up... and see the Earth. Think about the angles - the Earth should be directly behind you, enough so that she should see it when she gets hit by the space-sphere and she turns around, not just by looking over the horizon. I think that's what he was referring to because while I can at least attempt to handwave the close-to-the-surface thing, I really have no idea how to handwave this...

de5gravity

Apr 18, 2011
Interesting comment I found posted on a youtube video of the turret opera
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kPyGvqNn4Y&hd=1
"Did anyone else know that the whole game is based in greek myth? ( including atlas and p-body) and glados giving chell the knowledge of the portal guns and being cast into a pit, chell reviving glados ( pandoras box) and wheatly turning on her ( forget the name of the character but also a part of pandoras box) but the best part.... that wheat field in the end, is a common portrail of heaven in greek myth. Meaning that the turrets actually probably shot chell"
They did keep saying she was brain damaged, so she could have been hallucinating the whole thing.
Food for thoughts...

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
I think I'm just gonna accept the happy ending as what really happened, even if Valve does decide to change it for a Portal 3.

Sgt. Dante

Jul 30, 2008
rockyoumonkeys said:
UberaDpmn said:
rockyoumonkeys said:
BigText said:
the panels are actually pretty far up there. You're not THAT close to the surface.
But if I recall at the end of Portal 1, when you're being sucked up through the hole in the ceiling, you do kind of go a ways, don't you? Like even beyond where the ceiling had been.
That was a different room... wasn't it?
Don't think so. Pretty sure both games end in the same room.
I don't think they do, the design of the room is pretty different. And If you remember Wheatly 'moves' closer to the experiments, Glados just isn't a big enough idiot to be that close to the surface.

Sgt. Dante

Jul 30, 2008
Dunvi said:
Proverbial Jon said:
One of the commentary nodes talks about how Valve had to try and put all the different sections of the game together, how they had to make sure that you got to each area in a way that was believable. It ends by asking the player if they can spot the one transition which was completely implausible. I'd say that was the long elevator ride at the ending. Just a guess.
Actually, there's no evidence that there weren't loads of facility between you and the surface, and they've all just fallen away because Wheatley was doing such an incompetent job at taking care of the place.

On the other hand, my opinion for the implausibility is the moon itself. Think about it. When you're hanging out in space, desperately holding on, you tilt your head up... and see the Earth. Think about the angles - the Earth should be directly behind you, enough so that she should see it when she gets hit by the space-sphere and she turns around, not just by looking over the horizon. I think that's what he was referring to because while I can at least attempt to handwave the close-to-the-surface thing, I really have no idea how to handwave this...
Dead easy, did you ever shoot a portal at a sloped wall? the earth would only be directly behind her if the part of the moon she hit was parallel to earth.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
Don't know and probably won't care until Valve says something, but that last image with the giant chicken is fantastic.

timeadept

Nov 23, 2009
No.
Chell escaped.
That was very clear from the ending. Also GLaDOS's room seems to go all the way up to the surface, after all, you were blown out the top of it in the first game. I'm guessing that there was just a small patch-up but the hole was still there. I kept wondering the ore i explored the facility, "who would build a place like this?" i mean it's pretty damn big. But i can't imagine it being big enough to hold a false earth, at least not one that would be believable for any period of time. In any case, Chell passed out after exposure to space and a near vacuum, I wouldn't have been surprised if she lapsed into a coma. Hell, i'm surprised that she didn't black out in the middle of it.

IDK, this may be the last "impossible space" that the devs were talking about in the commentary. It is odd, but i don't think it means anything.

Dunvi

Feb 5, 2011
Sgt. Dante said:
Dunvi said:
Proverbial Jon said:

Dead easy, did you ever shoot a portal at a sloped wall? the earth would only be directly behind her if the part of the moon she hit was parallel to earth.
Okay, true. But it still shouldn't be where it was unless you hit the moon right near the edge, whereas from what I recall from the ending it was closer to the center than that...

timeadept

Nov 23, 2009
Glamorgan said:
Why would she? GLaDOS admitted Chell was too stubborn to test, and She has a whole Vault of test subjects now. Plus, the Portal gun got sucked out into space, if you look closely. While it's possible, especially since the pictures had no relevancy to the game itself, I just don't see it as likely.
Doesn't matter that the portal gut is gone, there are more. Hell, GLaDOS can make them for all i know. The robots in Co-Op mode always have one, no matter how many times or in how many ways toy kill them.

Boxinatorizore

Mar 25, 2009
You see hidden in the wheat in the last shot is a button, and you put the companion cube of it, and the wall that was painted to look like a blue sky opens up, and Glady starts singing this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzAs1vMymtg

True shit guys. Happened to me once. Just ask Gabe.