Internet Identity

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
I'm a bit more...for lack of a better word...eccentric in real life than I am on the forums.

But, like anyone, I'm more outspoken in this world of the internet, although I never reveal anything of my identity, besides that I am 15 years old, and live in Australia.
I don't hate anything, excepting emos, obsessive Halo fans and the "Insert" button on my keyboard.

I try to be nice to people, although how well I do this depends on your own perspectives.

Hey Joe

Dec 23, 2007
I'm actually a fat woman from Michigan named Mike.

Seriously though, pretty much what you get on here is what I'm like in real-life, except I'm a bit more 'ocka' which means a traditional 'aussie' than I am on here. Saskwach knows me and can vouch for that, and I'm also funnier in real life than I am on here (hard to imagine, I know!). I've actually done a bit of stand-up comedy here in Perth.

So if anything, in my eyes I'm actually a bit more reserved on here than I am in real-life.

Saskwach

Nov 4, 2007
Hey Joe post=18.71168.718039 said:
I'm also funnier in real life than I am on here (hard to imagine, I know!). I've actually done a bit of stand-up comedy here in Perth.
Could have fooled me. Oh ZING!
That's what you get for stealing my idea for a joke post yet again.

Hey Joe

Dec 23, 2007
Saskwach post=18.71168.718066 said:
I'm also funnier in real life than I am on here (hard to imagine, I know!). I've actually done a bit of stand-up comedy here in Perth.
I'd deny these accusations if I didn't have people watching you right now.

Don't go to sleep tonight.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH! AM I FUNNY??!!!??

Saskwach

Nov 4, 2007
Hey Joe post=18.71168.718084 said:
Saskwach post=18.71168.718066 said:
I'd deny these accusations if I didn't have people watching you right now.

Don't go to sleep tonight.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH! AM I FUNNY??!!!??
Dammit, you made me laugh good and hard. I lose.

WhitemageofDOOM

Sep 8, 2008
ElephantGuts post=18.71168.715855 said:
This is why the internet is so special as a medium for communication. Without voices, faces, or bodies, the words typed on forums or blogs can truly be seen for what they are. With so many 'pure' ideas, the internet becomes unparalleled in its ability to influence masses of people. Or does it? Every time a site like the Escapist invites you to customize your profile and share information about yourself, it is polluting this environment. Many people decide to go along with this and let the people they are talking to get to know them, as is natural in human relationships. But each person decides how what and how much they are going to share, based on what best fits their needs.

But am I saying that every person who shares their opinion on the internet should be an unreadable, nameless face? Certainly not, perhaps the opposite. Even the most intelligent people need to know what to believe and what to let influence them. This would usually be based on the person they're listening to. Do you really want to be lectured unknowingly on global politics by a 9 year old? Even a smart one? The potential lack of true identities on the internet corrupts this process, which could lead to some very misguided and ultimately harmful motions in people's opinions.
There is an entire logical fallacy dedicated to attacking a person instead of there ideas. A logical fallacy dedicated to -considering the source over the information-.
If a 9 year old retard has good information, what matters is the information not the fact a 9 year old retard possesses it.

Freedom from identity is an unobtainable ideal in real life, the net however should enforce it.

Simski

Aug 17, 2008
My internet identity changes more based on my views on the moderation and the people who view the site.

In a forum where the moderation is strict I am more to become careful and often act a bit more like a newbie trying to fit in without angering anyone mostly due to that if the moderation is strict, the members are usually a bunch of angry piss ants.

Where the moderation is moderate, I am to be myself more, tell people what I want without any bigger fear of anything happening.
Hell, I could tell you the exact same things I tell anyone else in a forum based on sexual fetishes as long as the subject is brought up.

Where the moderation is not too strict, or if it's forced anon, I am more to pretend to be someone else just for the hell of it. Fun things happen when people don't expect anything from you.

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
John Galt post=18.71168.717070 said:
PurpleRain post=18.71168.716817 said:
I don't think you've plotted to get over 1000 posts to gain my trust then hunt me down and stab me in the back. Right? Guys?
You beat me out for Honorary Escapist President. The e-glory will be mine Rain.

ZIS INZULT VILL NACHT GOE UNPOONEESHED!
Power overwellming!

Xhumed

Jun 15, 2008
I'm, astonishingly, a pretty nice person in real life, so it actually upsets me sometimes that I can occasionally be a bit of an arse on here. Usually I apologise. I put it down to the fact that you're all disembodied opinions, some of which rub me the wrong way.

burn to ashe

May 2, 2008
I've been an active participant on internet forums for nearly ten years, and ultimately I believe that has shaped my personality. Anonymity has built confidence and has turned a quiet person into a confident, slightly sarcastic, generally friendly person. Of course I believe that ten years of aging helped, but the internet is a tool that allows you to say anything you want without any chance of serious reprocussions. That definitely has the potential to make bold creatures of its users.

When I first stumbled onto the internet I was closed mouthed about my age, real name, etc, to the point where I came up with an alter ego. That was partly because my mother beat into me that I was not to give out any legitimate information and partly because that alter ego gave me freedoms. But eventually (and it only took maybe a year) that role became very tedious and boring and I started being myself more and more.

The internet is a stage. Whether the part you're playing is your own or one you've constructed, it does give you the venue to proclaim, nearly uncensored, what you think and feel and that is a powerful thing indeed. The ability to test out on a controlled audience views and opinions that you may be shaky on testing in the real world has become invaluable to a generation of those who were teenagers in the late nineties, and who still are teenagers.

klc0100

Feb 29, 2008
conqueror Kenny post=18.71168.716399 said:
klc0100 post=18.71168.716385 said:
conqueror Kenny post=18.71168.715880 said:
I am a dick in real life and a stuck up elite bastard on forums.
sounds just right

Im not 100% sure what kinda of personality I have in real life but the internet me is a bit more of an ass hole

at least im honest
I see you editing my posts. Also just to help, in real life, you are a psychotic misanthrope.
sweet

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
burn to ashe post=18.71168.718191 said:
I've been an active participant on internet forums for nearly ten years, and ultimately I believe that has shaped my personality. Anonymity has built confidence and has turned a quiet person into a confident, slightly sarcastic, generally friendly person. Of course I believe that ten years of aging helped, but the internet is a tool that allows you to say anything you want without any chance of serious reprocussions. That definitely has the potential to make bold creatures of its users.

When I first stumbled onto the internet I was closed mouthed about my age, real name, etc, to the point where I came up with an alter ego. That was partly because my mother beat into me that I was not to give out any legitimate information and partly because that alter ego gave me freedoms. But eventually (and it only took maybe a year) that role became very tedious and boring and I started being myself more and more.

The internet is a stage. Whether the part you're playing is your own or one you've constructed, it does give you the venue to proclaim, nearly uncensored, what you think and feel and that is a powerful thing indeed. The ability to test out on a controlled audience views and opinions that you may be shaky on testing in the real world has become invaluable to a generation of those who were teenagers in the late nineties, and who still are teenagers.
I think the same thing happened to me. Once I started talking on the internet with people who wouldn't just me for anything besides what I said, I started to learn that I actually had some good ideas that were worth sharing, so that boosted my self-esteem with talking talking to people in real life.

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
Lance Icarus post=18.71168.715934 said:
An internet identity to me is nothing more than an electronic pen name.
Me too, because I came close to learning the hard way: no one likes an Egotist.