Internet memes - Now in games

Fiskmasen

Apr 6, 2008
There I was, cheerfully reading the intro to Ninjatown (a great game by the way, I heartily recommend it), when all of a sudden this popped up in a discussion relating to the number of minions Mr. Demon is sending:

(Image not courtesy of me)

At first this actually passed me by, then three screens later I realized what I had just watched. In my state of shock I had to restart the game, and watch it again.
This is, as far as I know, the only internet meme I've seen in any game, if you don't count things that have spawned the damn things (yes, I know, the God damned cake is a lie). I don't really know what to think of it. On one hand it does seem like lazy writing, on the other it might just be shout-out to fans (which is probably the case when it comes to Ninjatown, the rest of the game is hilarious on it's own).

What do you guys think of developers using "funny" internet jokes to spice up their games? Have you seen it used in any other games?

oO CurrY Oo

Sep 14, 2008
"Vegeta what does the scouter say about his power level?"
"Its over NINETHOUSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNDDDDDDDDDDDDD!"

lol good times

Elurindel

Dec 12, 2007
Oh yes, Phoenix Wright seems to be full of them.

"SuPer Administrator Restricted Data Access? This is madness!"
"No, Maya, that is SPARDA."

Or Mia's "Well, I guess we know whose milkshake brings all the boys to the yard."

Once in Rome Total War, the Egyptians came over to me, demanding that I become a Protectorate. The message read: Pharaoah, health and strength to him, has hereby declared that "All your base are belong to us!"

The latter phrase is also visible in the description of Lazar Bear from Age of Mythology, the armour description in Halo and probably others too.

Steve Dark

Oct 23, 2008
What you gotta remember is that most games programmers are quite into internet culture, so they're bound to try and sneak memes into their games! At the last count I personally have seen about one thousand, three hundred and thirty seven memes hidden in various games...

bkd69

Nov 23, 2007
If two girls ever send you on a quest to retrieve a cup, for god's sake man, DON'T DO IT!!!!!

Freyar

Solar Empire General
May 9, 2008
You could always film a bit of FUZZ. I hear that the Pirate versus Ninja fights are always the best hits in there. (Saints Row 2)

rossatdi

Aug 27, 2008
I actually was able to use, "No, this is Sparta!" In correct context. There is a band called Sparta that are made up of members of my favourite band (At The Drive-In). I was listening to them in car with my brother who asks "Is this At The Drive-In?"

To which I heartily replied "NO!!! This is Sparta." Didn't kick him out of the car but we laughed so hard I almost hit a tree.

---

On topic. Castle Crashers on XBA has a level involving Ninja Pirates which is almost guaranteed to be from that meme.

Uskis

Apr 21, 2008
I recall there was a rouge you could hire in Guildwars, who would say stuff like "I can dance all day" and "Boom Headshot"

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
Steve Dark said:
What you gotta remember is that most games programmers are quite into internet culture, so they're bound to try and sneak memes into their games! At the last count I personally have seen about one thousand, three hundred and thirty seven memes hidden in various games...
Nice.