Internet memes - Now in games

Skillz306

Nov 6, 2008
In the Crash Bandicoot title: Crash of the Titans; the peon enemies all have a set of voice clips.

For the lab-rat enemy (I forget the name) one of their war-cry sounds is LEEEEROOYYYY!

I lol'd.

Fenring

Sep 5, 2008
Steve Dark said:
At the last count I personally have seen about one thousand, three hundred and thirty seven memes hidden in various games...
Only? I've seen over 9000.

Blind0bserver

Blatant Narcissist
Mar 31, 2008
In Mass Effect, there was a character named Richard L. Jenkins, who was basically a redshirt and got himself killed by the Geth by charging out of cover like a jackass. His name is a reference to none other than Leroy Jenkins.

DirkGently

Oct 22, 2008
Vanguard1219 said:
In Mass Effect, there was a character named Richard L. Jenkins, who was basically a redshirt and got himself killed by the Geth by charging out of cover like a jackass. His name is a reference to none other than Leroy Jenkins.
Really? I didn't know that moving up when your commander signaled you to was 'charging out of cover like a jackass'. He reminded me more of Private Wallace A. Jenkins, who when faced with a n coming threat wanting to eat his face, did absolutely nothing. Did you get that reference?

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Counter Strike - someone set up us the bomb.

LBP's user creation levels has definitely sparked up internet memes. Second Life is also 4chan's favorite game.

Blind0bserver

Blatant Narcissist
Mar 31, 2008
DirkGently said:
Vanguard1219 said:
Really? I didn't know that moving up when your commander signaled you to was 'charging out of cover like a jackass'. He reminded me more of Private Wallace A. Jenkins, who when faced with a n coming threat wanting to eat his face, did absolutely nothing. Did you get that reference?
He was ordered out of cover? huh, I may need to do a replay of that game soon if I can't remember the specifics...

WolfMage

May 19, 2008
In one of the Ratchet and Clank games, in the description of one of the armors, it said it was woven of the threads of win.

DirkGently

Oct 22, 2008
Vanguard1219 said:
DirkGently said:
Vanguard1219 said:
He was ordered out of cover? huh, I may need to do a replay of that game soon if I can't remember the specifics...
Shepard gives him a hand signal to move up.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
There were a couple of neat references in the DS-game "Contact".

It sort of irked me when the professor guy referred to low-level enemies as "weaksauce", though.

wewontdie11

May 28, 2008
Crazy Savage said:
They randomly added the "Over 9000!" Scene to DBZ Burst Limit.
It's not really very random seen as how that originated from Dragonball Z...

I laughed my ass off at it regardless.

Not Good

Sep 17, 2008
It'll happen eventually that an internet meme will be included in a game. And it already has. However, this makes the meme more and moar unfunny.

I would be rather shocked if someone posted a forced meme such as Milhouse (lol simpsons games) or FRAN TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK

TheBluesader

Mar 9, 2008
I'm okay with it as long as the meme is from a game itself. That way, it's poking fun at gaming culture, and not poaching off other media.

Personally, I don't get into the whole meme-ing thing. It's only really funny for like two days after whatever it comes from comes out. Otherwise it gets pitiful. Like those movies by the Scary Movie guys pitiful.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
DirkGently said:
Vanguard1219 said:
DirkGently said:
Vanguard1219 said:
Nevertheless, I remember reading that it was a reference to Leeroy Jenkins, hand-signal or not.

Also, Phoenix Wright's memes are awesome. ;D

Ursus Astrorum

Mar 20, 2008
I believe that there was a skin in Portal's files (whether used or unused I'm not sure) that was a wet floor sign. To the left of the slipping guy another stick figure was kicking, and "Wet Floor" was taped over with "This is Sparta".

EDIT: Here it be:

DirkGently

Oct 22, 2008
Amnestic said:
DirkGently said:
Vanguard1219 said:
DirkGently said:
Vanguard1219 said:

Nevertheless, I remember reading that it was a reference to Leeroy Jenkins, hand-signal or not.

Also, Phoenix Wright's memes are awesome. ;D
Ah. Where'd you read this?

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
What about when videogames START internet Meme's? THE CAKE IS A LIE!

I'm still waiting for a game that lets me use BEAR CALVARY.