Internet Petition Brings Aliens: Colonial Marines Female Jarheads

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
Win.

Now where's that slow clap .gif...?

Ah, well. +another internets for you petition writers.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Legion said:
Rainboq said:
To all those people out there who don't like this idea, all I can say is:
Did anybody actually not like the idea of female marines? Or was the issue with "gamers demanding new things"?

Not that I think gamers shouldn't be able to express the desire for things in games, it is not like developers have to include them. In this instance, it was just common sense to.

I imagine some people will see this as "caving into whiny fans", but then in my opinion, if developers want to treat their games as art, then they can't treat it as a marketable product as well.
With the amount of people on the internet these days who like to parrot the word 'entitlement' about everything it pays to be a little defensive.

Toastngravy

Jan 19, 2009
It's funny because this petition did nothing and now everyone's going to think an internet petition worked.
It didn't. In fact I have no idea where this argument even came from.
Let's just take a look at the box art released in Feb.

Clearly a female character on the box.

And that's admittedly all I care enough about to post. There was also a trailer released back in january that I think two people were just more feminine in appearance than the rest of the characters but not actually female. Hard to tell without getting a good look at them. Regardless. No. The petition didn't do anything. They've always been in and planned for the game. My assumption is that yes, they didn't bother working on them until now because it's just a different model. They don't need both models to be able to test the game. Focus on your priorities.

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
Fanghawk said:
Internet Petition Brings Aliens: Colonial Marines Female Jarheads

Playable, customizable female characters suit up for both singleplayer and multiplayer.

It's easy to doubt the significance and importance of online petitions, but every now and then they can make the voices of gamers heard. Such was the case when Gearbox producer Brian Burleson stated that Aliens: Colonial Marines' multiplayer modes would exclusively feature playable male characters. Aliens fans found this a little odd, considering that the series is among the most female-centered franchises of science-fiction, so <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118287-Petition-Demands-Female-Jarheads-in-Aliens-Colonial-Marines>a petition was quickly filled with almost 4000 signatures demanding that the oversight be corrected. The efforts have attracted the attention of Gearbox CEO Randy Pitchford and Community Manager Chris Faylor, who revealed that Colonial Marines will not only have playable female marines in its competitive multiplayer mode, but in the co-operative story campaign as well.

"I am happy to be able to confirm that female marines are playable in competitive multiplayer as well as co-op, complete with customization elements," Faylor wrote to the petitioners. "This is something the team has been planning and working on for quite some time, and that work is finally at the point where we can confirm it will indeed ship with the game when it releases on February 12, 2013."

Pitchford has also confirmed that playable female characters are in the works, adding that Gearbox simply hadn't wanted to show anything off until it was in a finished state. The petition and subsequent media attention forced a change from this position, so fans are being treated to the early reveal of Private Jennifer Redding, a playable female character for the story campaign. Competitive multiplayer modes will also feature male and female characters, along with customizable armor modifications, weapon upgrades, and even the ability to write slogans and messages on your equipment.

It's easy to be skeptical of the claim that female characters were always planed for Aliens: Colonial Marines when <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/trailers/6122-Aliens-Colonial-Marines-Xenos-vs-Marines-Trailer>there is enough content to <a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgSHqjwFcd8>create multiple trailers using <a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7UBQouJBns>in-game footage while playable females are still in the design stage. Still, that's not nearly as important as the fact that female gamers can don armor and wield flamethrowers against Xenomorph hordes with their female avatars, just like Ripley would have wanted.

Sources: <a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-09-03-aliens-colonial-marines-will-feature-playable-female-characters-in-competitive-multiplayer-and-co-op>Eurogamer

This is good.:)

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Bison can say it better than me.

Now... can we get Vasquez in there?, please? :)

Captcha: If it fits. Of course she fits in it!, she's goddamn Vasquez!.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Toastngravy said:
It's funny because this petition did nothing and now everyone's going to think an internet petition worked.

And that's admittedly all I care enough about to post. There was also a trailer released back in january that I think two people were just more feminine in appearance than the rest of the characters but not actually female. Hard to tell without getting a good look at them. Regardless. No. The petition didn't do anything. They've always been in and planned for the game. My assumption is that yes, they didn't bother working on them until now because it's just a different model. They don't need both models to be able to test the game. Focus on your priorities.
Ninja'd, that was all I was going to add as well. But it obviously shows some people don't pay attention. Their petition had no real basis considering the devs were doing it all along.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Now all we need is a deck of cards. Who says internet petitions don't achieve anything :p?

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
chozo_hybrid said:
Toastngravy said:

Ninja'd, that was all I was going to add as well. But it obviously shows some people don't pay attention. Their petition had no real basis considering the devs were doing it all along.
it was stated there would be a female character in the campaign, but flatout stated that there were no female options in multiplayer.
Legion said:
Rainboq said:
Did anybody actually not like the idea of female marines? Or was the issue with "gamers demanding new things"?

Not that I think gamers shouldn't be able to express the desire for things in games, it is not like developers have to include them. In this instance, it was just common sense to.

I imagine some people will see this as "caving into whiny fans", but then in my opinion, if developers want to treat their games as art, then they can't treat it as a marketable product as well.
there were the people who played up some of the undertones of the alien reproduction cycle to scream 'double standards! double standards!' To try and shout the people wanting the option down.

Kunzer

Press R to cause ragequit
Jul 14, 2008
Oh this is so awesome. Gearbox FTW, internet petitioners FTW.

I'm also thrilled that my girlfriend will be able to represent herself in the game as a female!

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
As much as I think girls playing shooters is cool, female characters tend to have smaller hitboxes in fps games.

I don't actually know how THIS game works, so I'm not going to say anything about this game, but I do know that in Combat Arms, most players who play as female are male players who take advantage of the fact that they are harder to shoot, whereas the female players tend to play as male characters to avoid being approached by other players and potentially harassed.

Really, in my opinion, including female characters does absolutely nothing to help the female gamer in multiplayer.

s_h_a_d_o

Mr Propellerhead
Jun 15, 2010
Fanghawk said:
*snip*

It's easy to be skeptical of the claim that female characters were always planed for Aliens: Colonial Marines when <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/trailers/6122-Aliens-Colonial-Marines-Xenos-vs-Marines-Trailer>there is enough content to <a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgSHqjwFcd8>create multiple trailers using <a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7UBQouJBns>in-game footage while playable females are still in the design stage.

*snip*
It's "easy to be skeptical of the claim that female characters were always planed for Aliens: Colonial Marines", when "Gearbox producer Brian Burleson stated that Aliens: Colonial Marines' multiplayer modes would exclusively feature playable male characters"!

:|

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Windknight said:
chozo_hybrid said:
Toastngravy said:

it was stated there would be a female character in the campaign, but flatout stated that there were no female options in multiplayer.
I can't remember where I read it, but that was when they previewed the demo and the demo had no female characters in it, I don't recall them stating it for the full game. I always figured they were going to do it, considering the main protagonist of Aliens in general is a woman.

Either way, the main thing is that they are definitely in it now and that makes my girlfriend (and many other people) happy, which is a good thing.

TWEWER

Feb 8, 2009
If you want strong female characters in video games, make a goddam video game with strong female characters. Bitching and moaning about it is counter intuitive.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
RaikuFA said:
For those asking bout Vasquez and Ripley...

You know its gonna be DLC.
Just like a woman always wanting to to pay to have her services Cool, humanist win!

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Rainboq said:

This has me really excited, definitely going to look into this now.

captcha: The only way to be sure.

Is it just me, or does the captcha read the thread to look for appropriate things?
Why would anyone not like female marines? They were in the actual movies? >_>