Internet Petition Brings Aliens: Colonial Marines Female Jarheads

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
theultimateend said:
Why would anyone not like female marines? They were in the actual movies? >_>
And unlike Vasquez, the marine in the picture actually looks pretty hot.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
"This is something the team has been planning and working on for quite some time,"

Uhuh. Sure, guys. We totally believe you.

Aug 31, 2012
Loop Stricken said:
theultimateend said:
And unlike Vasquez, the marine in the picture actually looks pretty hot.

I...I...I... OK, that was joke, I'll laugh, but someone somewhere is thinking that seriously.

Also, I am dissapointed by the lack of love for Ferro and Deitrich. You got your medic class right there and you could call in Ferro for some CoD kill streak air-strike action... oh. Ok, now I get it.

Captcha: Double crossed. GOD DAMN YOU BURKE!!!!

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
Look how different those hitboxes are going to be.

You heard it here first folks, if you want to be any good at the multiplayer use a female skin.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
SnootyEnglishman said:
It's nice to see that there is a female but where's Vasquez? This game needs more Vasquez!!!!
She's already dead...

Vasquez [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/VasquezAlwaysDies] never makes it long...

Ariseishirou

Aug 24, 2010
Here's hoping you can customize the female models, because that first one is more than a little disappointing. I was hoping the female marines would be a little more like Vasquez, less like a waify fashion girl. Ah well.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
Legion said:
Rainboq said:
To all those people out there who don't like this idea, all I can say is:
Did anybody actually not like the idea of female marines? Or was the issue with "gamers demanding new things"?

Not that I think gamers shouldn't be able to express the desire for things in games, it is not like developers have to include them. In this instance, it was just common sense to.

I imagine some people will see this as "caving into whiny fans", but then in my opinion, if developers want to treat their games as art, then they can't treat it as a marketable product as well.
Actually, the rational of people against the notion was more like this:

Zaik said:

You heard it here first folks, if you want to be any good at the multiplayer use a female skin.
I'm honestly not sure if Zaik is joking, but this was the argument frequently brought up in response to the petitions.

UberNoodle

Apr 6, 2010
Funny though that Randy stated at PAX that the controversy was mystifying for the Gearbox team in that there ARE women playable in the game and apparently the first promo material featured a female character in it. Just the Net going off half cocked and then doubling down till the bitter end? SHould I believe that Randy is a liar? The other comments about 'exclusively male' line up for multiplayer may have been an out of context quote or a case of the one hand not talking to the other. Either way, online controversies and petitions in gaming has become a case of the Boy who Cried Wolf. I have some series fatigue.

Mid Boss

Aug 20, 2012
VoidWanderer said:
It may be skeptic in me, but what are the chances they wanted to create false hype (and therefore media attention) by claiming that it would be males only, while secretly having female characters already developed?

Would a company deliberately cause a mild internet storm by not allowing female characters in an official sequel to a movie series that featured the same heroine in each one?

I would also say spoiler warning in this, but I assume you have watched the movies.

Never trust The Company.
This is EXACTLY what I think they did. All they had to do was put off making females for the multiplayer and leak that they aren't putting them into the multiplayer. The explosion of internet rage spread word of the game throughout the internet doing all the advertising the game needed. They put in the female avatars, which they had intended to do in the first place I'm sure. Makes them seem like heroes who listen to their fans AND they get a whole new round of internet media talking about them for even more advertising. All the advertising the game needs without them having to spend a dime.

It's what I would have done if I were them. It's genius.

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
Sorry Gearbox, but no sale. Prometheus was the final nail in the coffin, after which I made a fresh resolution to stop paying people to resurrect the rancid, decayed remnants of my childhood. All the more power to anyone who enjoys these sorts of recycling jobs, but I'm tapping out.

Besides I'll probably be still playing Borderlands 2 by the time this ships. :p

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
theultimateend said:
Rainboq said:

This has me really excited, definitely going to look into this now.

captcha: The only way to be sure.

Is it just me, or does the captcha read the thread to look for appropriate things?
There will always be protesters, regardless of what something is.

I.Muir

Jun 26, 2008
Women are just as eager to die at the claws of the alien as the boys
The creepy emasculation and rape vibes are for all to be enjoyed and cringed at

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
Toastngravy said:
They said females would be in the single player game as NPC's but that you could not play as one in multiplayer or single player.

Now you can play as a male or female in multiplayer and co-op.

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
Windknight said:
there were the people who played up some of the undertones of the alien reproduction cycle to scream 'double standards! double standards!' To try and shout the people wanting the option down.
I am afraid to ask, but, uh, what are those double standard reproduction systems?

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
SacremPyrobolum said:
Windknight said:
there were the people who played up some of the undertones of the alien reproduction cycle to scream 'double standards! double standards!' To try and shout the people wanting the option down.
I am afraid to ask, but, uh, what are those double standard reproduction systems?
In short, there is a sexual subtext to the aliens design and reproductive lifecycle (hence why tvtropes describes that sort of thing as a 'faceful of alien wing-wong'), and some people where chewbacca defensing this as literal sexual violence, and were saying the people who wanted the female option in colonial marines were saying they wanted women to get raped by the aliens.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Ragsnstitches said:
Legion said:
Rainboq said:
Did anybody actually not like the idea of female marines? Or was the issue with "gamers demanding new things"?

Not that I think gamers shouldn't be able to express the desire for things in games, it is not like developers have to include them. In this instance, it was just common sense to.

I imagine some people will see this as "caving into whiny fans", but then in my opinion, if developers want to treat their games as art, then they can't treat it as a marketable product as well.
Actually, the rational of people against the notion was more like this:

Zaik said:

I'm honestly not sure if Zaik is joking, but this was the argument frequently brought up in response to the petitions.
Which is complete nonsense, because they keep the hitboxes the same for female characters. That argument is just one of those excuses for losing where people can't just admit somebody else beat them.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Misleading headline. Jesus people, stop sensationalizing shit. They wanted female characters in the game for a long time, they've only just now completed the work so it is actually worth showing us what they've got.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
TWEWER said:
If you want strong female characters in video games, make a goddam video game with strong female characters. Bitching and moaning about it is counter intuitive.
Yeh, because we can all obviously do that.... Anyway, I'm pretty sure the point behind this petition (whether it was necessary or not) is that people wanted this game to feature strong female characters. When this game is already most of its way through production, not much point in trying yourself. I know it's easy to churn out a AAA game in a short space of time, but still, can't help but think the whole endavour who be a little...counter-intuitive.

Captcha: nip and tuck

TWEWER

Feb 8, 2009
MarsProbe said:
TWEWER said:
If you want strong female characters in video games, make a goddam video game with strong female characters. Bitching and moaning about it is counter intuitive.
Yeh, because we can all obviously do that.... Anyway, I'm pretty sure the point behind this petition (whether it was necessary or not) is that people wanted this game to feature strong female characters. When this game is already most of its way through production, not much point in trying yourself. I know it's easy to churn out a AAA game in a short space of time, but still, can't help but think the whole endavour who be a little...counter-intuitive.

Captcha: nip and tuck
If you can't make a game yourself, then you have no right to nitpick about the hard work of others.