Internet Trolls Face Jail in Arizona

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Clearly, the solution is to send jpgs of Goatse to each Arizona congressman that voted for this.

Actually, I think that's a good idea, even if it passes. Get foreign internet denizens to send deplorable stuff to each and every politician that supports overly-broad legislation like this.

FrozenSkye

Jan 8, 2012
I can firmly say without a doubt in my mind that I will be leaving this state as soon as possible. It's gone from pettiness to downright incurable stupidity.

There's actually another bill up for voting sometime soon I believe that allows employers to ask women for their personal use of birth control, because they feel employers shouldn't have to cover it under insurance if the employers themselves don't religiously believe in it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/27/arizona-birth-control-bill-processing-fee_n_1383841.html

This state is so ass backwards, it's not really funny anymore. I remember my friend posting a video back when we were electing our Govenor. I think it was something like 2 full minutes of petty name calling back and forth.

Don't come here, don't visit, it's just not worth it.

madster11

Aug 17, 2010
Man, i used to think Arizona was cool.

I'm an Australian and was planning to move to that nice climate'd state in a few years, just before my government brings out the thought monitoring devices. Was all set to conceal carry a 9mm at all times and drive badass old V8s with no exhaust, and now this shit?

Maybe Nevada?

Who wants to start a new country with me, where we can actually live instead of being fucking sheep with numbers printed on our sides?

ZombieMonkey7

Dec 24, 2009
Wow these legislator trolls are showing us normal average joe internet trolls up! Time to get srs, someones gotta troll these guys.

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
Buretsu said:
Grey Day for Elcia said:
Andy Chalk said:
It doesn't sound too terribly unreasonable at first glance
Then you should probably get glasses.

Arizona is indeed a very Christian state. I'm not shocked that a group of people notoriously intolerant would want to continue to make laws that enforce their views.
Yes, no talking out your ass THERE.
Because Arizona doesn't have a massive Christian population? Last I checked, more than 65% of Arizonians were Catholic or Christian--and that's ignoring the subsets.

Bible belt, yo.

Gunner 51

Jun 21, 2009
I guess there is one bright side to this law, it's completely unenforcable. There simply aren't enough coppers in Arizona or even the U.S to stop everyone from acting like a jackass on the internet, PSN and X-box Live.

Seeing how the bill also tries to lump in those from outside Arizona - that just makes even more work for the one or two coppers who get saddled with enforcing this law.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
poiumty said:
Andy Chalk said:
It doesn't sound too terribly unreasonable at first glance
You shitting me? "We arrest people for offending someone over the internet" is not too unreasonable?

Sure glad I'm not living in Arizona.
"To annoy or offend"

Yeah I hear vague wording is really something. It'll totally be good and stuff. For the things.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I'll allow it if they DO end up with a distinction between trolls and other shmoes. Otherwise, go to hell.

Akytalusia

Nov 11, 2010
i'll just give them the same passive support i give every other cyber terrorist. "i won't get my hopes up; but good luck with that."

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
ResonanceGames said:
Pretty soon Arizona will just be Jan Brewer and Joe Arpaio because everyone else will be in prison. I guess it'll be up to those two to repopulate the state.

Try to get that image out of your heads.
I consider that harassment sir! Have fun in prison.

Something should be done, it seems like online we can get away with anything. I mean I've heard grown adult tell kids (who are all in-game) that they are going to rape them in their sleep. And this just seems normal. Sooner or later there has to be a limit.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
"It is unlawful for any person, with intent to terrify, intimidate, threaten, harass, annoy or offend, to use a telephone any electronic or digital device

annoy

Fuck. That.

The fact that this is even a fucking thing is insulting to the human species. Funny thing is, I actually live here.

If there was ever a time to protest, now is it.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Objective of the game: destroy enemy tanks
Enemy players: we will sue you if you shoot at us because you annoy us.

well done america.

P.S. im offended by capcha: thumbs up

Danzavare

Oct 17, 2010
Dastardly said:
Andy Chalk said:
Internet Trolls Face Jail in Arizona
If you insult someone out in public, both of you have the opportunity to walk away and end your interaction, and neither of you has any claim to remove the other. You can surely complain to whomever owns the space, but odds are the law isn't going to come into it unless the involved parties start fighting (in which case both are usually in some trouble).

Now, if someone comes to your house to insult you, that's another matter. There, you have the expectation of being free from harassment, or even annoyance, from people you don't want to be there. If you tell them to leave and they don't, problem. If they leave, but come back again, problem. And the law will generally back you up on this (unless they somehow have some legal right to be there, too).

The legal system is pretty good at telling the difference, as evidenced by the fact that we aren't drowning in cases of people going to jail for calling someone an idiot at the DMV. The internet is just a different communication tool. It has its "public" spaces, and it has (to a degree) it's "private" spaces.

The idea that this law is going to be problematic is just our own reflex whenever we hear someone mention "internet" and "law." The problems we're predicting don't happen with analogous media in real life, so there's no reason to assume they're going to happen here. Will someone try it? Surely. And when it fails, we'll have clear legal precedent established, just like for our other laws.
I have been persuaded. I support the law. Shockingly, it isn't that hard to resist the urge to defend trolls.

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
"are deemed to have been committed at either the place where the communications originated or at the place where the communications were received."
Arizona, policing the entire god damn world. This had me laughing for about 5 minutes straight.

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
So does that mean the "offended" page on the encyclopedia dramatica won't be accessible any more from Arizona?