Internet Trolls Face Jail in Arizona

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Kwil said:
Uh folks.. this law was always here, as Andy himself points out, all they changed was the word "phone" to "electronic device".

So tell me.. was there a huge rash of arrests of people swearing on the phone in Arizona before now? When someone from AZ pissed you off over the phone, did they find themselves in front of a judge? No? Well maybe we can ease up on the false butt-hurt here and realize that hey.. maybe the folks who enforce the laws aren't the complete morons Andy seems to be suggesting they are, and maybe this will just be used to go after the real a-holes.

Then again, maybe that idea is what's got you guys and Andy feeling threatened.
Call me crazy, but I prefer limits on government other than the honor system.

...that said, this is unconstitutional. Which means it's essentially symbolic. Still messed up.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
poiumty said:
Andy Chalk said:
It doesn't sound too terribly unreasonable at first glance
You shitting me? "We arrest people for offending someone over the internet" is not too unreasonable?
It's not what the law says, though. So no, Andy's not kidding you. He's just...what's that word? Literate.

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
poiumty said:
Andy Chalk said:
You shitting me? "We arrest people for offending someone over the internet" is not too unreasonable?

Sure glad I'm not living in Arizona.
Try reading. It helps you make informed statements

On topic, this just gives more proof that Arizona is all but lost and we should just erase it and start again

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Kahunaburger said:
Call me crazy, but I prefer limits on government other than the honor system.
It's not really the honour system. It's pragmatism in the case of hysteria.

AT God

Dec 24, 2008
All the more reason not to live in Arizona. Also, I don't see this bill working, playing Counter-Strike and threatening to kill someone during a game would make it near impossible to prove that the comment meant physical harm or the act of killing the player in the game.

I see lots of loop holes, which means more work for the government which means the bill wont pass or be enforced.

The .50 Caliber Cow

Pokemon GO away
Mar 12, 2011
Troll now Arizona! Troll while you can! Troll so hard that they will rue the day they even considered putting you in jail!

[sub][sub]Moo! [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FavUpD_IjVY&feature=related][/sub][/sub]

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
"It is unlawful for any person, with intent to terrify, intimidate, threaten, harass, annoy or offend, to use a telephone any electronic or digital device and use any obscene, lewd or profane language or suggest any lewd or lascivious act, or threaten to inflict physical harm to the person or property of any person."

I did read the rest of the article, but at first glance I was horrified. I was ok up until annoy. Annoy is terrible but you've got that covered. Offend? Well shit, i've probably done that with the phrase oh shit.

Obscene, lewd or profane language? Well fuck me sideways and call me a whore, i've just broken all three of those in an environment where people are ok with me to do it. Seems the government is out of touch there.

Hell, I don't need to go into the rest. But that did only require the once over for me to be all "fuck that".

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
The trouble is that if it doesn't fail, we have a problem, and given the tendency these days to interpret laws to fit particular contingencies - declaring that waterboarding isn't torture, for instance - I don't like the idea of leaving it to chance or to the discretion of our law enforcement agencies. These are the people who made a disabled four-year-old child remove his leg braces for an airport search, let us recall. With that sort of person "watching out for us," I'm not inclined to take anything for granted.
No, these aren't the same people that did that. The CIA (our local waterboarding advocate) operates with very little transparency and oversight... and we could go volumes on the pros and cons of that, but that's a whole other thing. And the FAA is not a law enforcement agency. (It's a policy enforcement agency, if anything)

I agree this law has the potential to cause problems, in the short term. But the very broad comparison to these federal misbehaviors (which, quite tellingly, most people agree are misbehaviors) is a bit disproportionate.

Sure, someone's going to try to bring someone to court because the first party's kid called the second party's kid a dickbite over Live. And sure, it might make it to court. Civil court, most likely, but let's say somehow it makes it to criminal court... what then? How far do you think a case like that's going to get?

I don't have blind or complete faith in our system, but I also don't think it's good practice to start shooting at every shadow. Better to save our ammo for the real fights.

(To be clearer: I don't like the law as worded. I'd prefer it be revised, rather than passing. However, I don't think that a law like this passing is automatically some awful thing -- it would just require a few "aftermarket" adjustments in the form of judicial precedent. Wasteful, to be sure, but not the end of any portion of the world.)

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
This is ridiculous. It's like they want to outlaw shenanigans! Why would they want that? Don't they realize without such fun as a surprise Goatsee, Rickroll, or lemon party, the internet just wouldn't be the same? Do they really want to live in a world where shenanigans don't exist?

*facepalm* Dammit Arizona...This shit again?

ReiverCorrupter

Jun 4, 2010
Versuvius said:
Oooh i hope Anon defaces government websites front pages with offensive and annoying images. Like ED's Offended page? Bring on the tubgirl!
Yup. Anon will undoubtedly be stirring up a massive amount of sh*t. This is explicitly and without question a move to censor the internet. Haven't been following Anon recently and I've heard it's gone through some political nonsense, but some hackers somewhere will do it (and they might technically be considered Anon simply because they're anonymous, although they might not gather at Anon's hubs).

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
poiumty said:
Andy Chalk said:

Sure glad I'm not living in Arizona.
For reference, here is the quote from the OP, as I'm gonna refer to it a couple times.
"It is unlawful for any person, with intent to terrify, intimidate, threaten, harass, annoy or offend, to use a telephone any electronic or digital device and use any obscene, lewd or profane language or suggest any lewd or lascivious act, or threaten to inflict physical harm to the person or property of any person."
As someone who's big on individual liberties, I honed in on the "offend", "annoy", and "use any obscene, lewd or profane language". However, someone who doesn't have a strong opinion/isn't informed on such issues probably wouldn't notice those things right away.

aegix drakan said:
This bill is insanely stupi-*is arrested*

How fast do you think that fundamentalists will abuse this? Safe money is on "immediately", I would imagine. *sigh*

EDIT: My solution to the whole problem is to have a VERY visible "block" button on EVERY social media site and email service, and make it VERY clear and obvious how to block off anyone who you don't wanna talk to. Because I dunno if kids will think about doing that, or know how to do it. If blocking and stuff is made way more obvious, then it'll make cyber bullying much harder to do.
*Amused*
Also, your idea of "make blocking easier" seems pretty useful, and should be implemented.

5ilver

Aug 25, 2010
This law offends me.

But seriously, I could probably end up in court for a dozen different charges by walking 10 meters away from my house. It's less scary/serious, more pathetic/annoying, even amusing sometimes.

Captcha: it happens
Yes, Captcha, it does, especially when an outdated law system is being reinforced in the 21st century.

Yowsa

May 26, 2009
Thank you for bring this to my attention Andy. I may be spending a lengthy time in jail. and btw i live in Arizona this sucks.