Interplay Loses Rights to Fallout MMO

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Interplay Loses Rights to Fallout MMO

The rights to the Fallout MMO have returned to Bethesda.

And just like that, it's over. The settlement between Bethesda Softworks and Interplay in the dispute over last week [http://www.fallout-on-line.com/], immediately returned the rights to develop a Fallout MMO to Bethesda, with all related licenses previously granted to Interplay declared null and void. Bethesda's parent company, ZeniMax Media, agreed to pay $2 million to Interplay as "consideration" in the settlement, and both companies will pay their own legal costs.

The deal will also see the rights to the other Fallout IPs - acquire the Fallout franchise [http://www.amazon.com/Fallout-Pc/dp/B00004KDF9/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1326149937&sr=8-14] from Interplay in 2007 granted merchandising rights to the original Fallout games to Interplay, but under the terms of the settlement those rights will now expire at the end of 2013, at which point Interplay will be fully, finally out of the Fallout game.

In many ways, it's a sad resolution to the matter. There was a time when Interplay was an industry powerhouse that numbered among the best in the business and while those days are long gone, Fallout Online - while always a long shot - represented its last, best chance at gaining some sort of footing in the game industry. There was something romantic about the idea of a new Fallout game with the Interplay logo on it, and something vaguely awe-inspiring about the company's steadfast refusal to just give up and die. And this latest setback still may not put Interplay down, but whatever it's future holds, it will be a future without Fallout. I'd kind of hoped for a different end to the tale.

Bethesda also reached a settlement with Masthead Studios, which had been contracted by Interplay to develop the Fallout MMO, under which Masthead acknowledges that it has no legal right to use any Fallout intellectual property and agrees that it will not do so in the future. No payments were made by either Bethesda or Masthead in that settlement.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
This is unfortunate and at the same time, I'm rather happy that things have finally come to a close. Interplay was a big part of my childhood and adolescence and they published some of my personal cornerstones in gaming. Seeing as nothing lasts forever, though, I'm at least happy to see that the Fallout franchise still has a home.

This brings me to the other side of the debate. Bethesda's proven that it could do fairly awesome things with this franchise, and I have no doubt that the Creation engine will serve a hypothetical Fallout 4 rather well.

Because of this, my feelings concerning this story are a little mixed. It's a bittersweet feeling that's not quite pleasant, honestly.

Harmondale2

Nov 18, 2009
A sad end to this story. I hope Interplay comes up with something good to work with for the future. It would be sad to see them disappear.

thomaskattus

Dec 15, 2011
That is indeed bad news for Interplay.

However I am curious to know if Bethesda will continue the project somehow?

GaltarDude1138

Jan 19, 2011
While I know I should feel sad, I also know that the series is in good hands.

Overall, I'm just happy the stupid lawsuit is over.

Avae

Aug 26, 2011
It's important to remember that it's not the Interplay that we all remember from the past. The old company and this one just share the name.

Apr 28, 2008
So what does this mean for the Fallout games up on GoG? Will those be taken down once Bethesda gets full control of the license?

RaNDM G

Apr 28, 2009
That's a damn shame. Interplay had a pretty crummy track record for the past ten years, but this could have been their big break.

Oh well. It probably would have sucked anyway.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
YES!Score one for the little guys... who have enough money to throw at a problem so as to get their way!!!!

Honestly I find this disgusting as honestly without question the law was 100% on the side of interplay and basically this boils down to Interplay accepting 2 million dollars to give up the remaining right they had to their creation. (either because they knew they had jack shit in the MMO, or because they just could not keep the litigation going)

And the worst part of it is? the fact that the franchise is in damn near the worst hands humanly possible. (Why yes I love not being able to click my mouse on anything for fear of picking up another useless piece of pixelated garbage) So, bring on more copy pasta sequels! Hooray for supporting the rights of the publishers to make money, cause they use your money to do such worth while things!

/aneurysm

Edit: I would suggest correcting the byline as the Bethesda never had the rights to the MMO, so it is not possible for the MMO rights to return to them.

Omnific One

Apr 3, 2010
Irridium said:
So what does this mean for the Fallout games up on GoG? Will those be taken down once Bethesda gets full control of the license?
I seriously doubt it. There's really no reason for them to once they get full control over the old games.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Ah, that's a shame. Oh well, I hope that Obsidian keeps getting to work on the series. Now, they're the last part of Black Isle left, and with Interplay out of the picture, they're even more alone now than ever.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
I suspect this means V13 will be scuttled. I just don't see Masthead interested in working on a second post-apocalyptic MMO when it's not attached to a well known brand.

I have to wonder if Interplay can recover from this. They still have some worthwhile IPs, but they'll likely need to sell another off if they want the capital to pursue a new game. Earthworm Jim seems like the strongest candidate for a new project, or to go on the chopping block. (If another game is made, regardless of who is behind it, I just hope Doug TenNapel is involved.)

chiefohara

Sep 4, 2009
I feel really bad for Interplay...

I love what Bethesda have done with the franchise, and the old black isle guys becoming obsidion and working with New Vegas was also something that made me happy... but this just feels.... unjust you know?

The IP belonged to Interplay and Bethesda have pretty much viciously bullied them out of it. Although a final ruling, it wasn't a just one.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
I feel that this is a shame, I was looking forward to the Fallout MMO and I feel bad that Interplay lost what little ownership to Fallout it had left. I find this especially sad since I was rooting for Interplay through the lawsuit and had hoped they would win.

Nohra

Aug 9, 2008
Let's be honest now.

The entire point of the Fallout series was that the player was mostly alone against the wastes, never fitting in where they went, but still being one of the most influential figures in post-apocalyptica.

How is dumping 3000 other people in a server really going to capture that feel? Complete with enough quest NPCs and things to kill for everyone, it's not going to look or feel very much like fallout.

Nevermind the (probable) eventual factioning between Enclave and BOS.

I've played/enjoyed all of the Fallout games except BOS, and I just don't see how the MMO formula could wind up working for the Fallout franchise.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Like I said in another topic on the subject, I just can't bring myself to feel good about this. Interplay was a big part of my gaming life for the longest time, with some of my all time favourites emblazoned with that logo.

This just feels like Bethesda kicking a studio while they're down. It's brutal. I mean Interplay are responsible for the creation of the Fallout franchise in the first place, if it weren't for them the series wouldn't exist. Yet now with this ruling not even the old games are theirs for much longer.

Interplays children just got taken away... sure they're going to a good home, but I still can't help but feel sad for the original parents especially when it seems like that was the only thing they really had left.