Iron Sky Sneak Peek: Nazis on the Moon

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Exterminas said:
Sometimes it fascinates me how deeply the fear of german ingenuity is engraved into public concious. I wonder how much this actually domiates people's opinon on current germany's agendas.
A lot actually.

After two attempts to conquer the world, I hardly trust Germany. To me it hasn't seemed to change much either. I find it kind of ironic that one of their big attitudes nowadays is that "well we hate the Nazis so much that we oppress free speech to avoid talking about them". I find it kind of ironic that Germany continues to practice what seems to be massive information control, while trying to sell it as being something positive. Or at least that's how it looks to me. I mean I don't care if they are pulling the Swatstikas out of something or whatever, it's still censorship.

Now granted, I don't see Germany having the military power to engage in armed conquest anytime soon, but the rate at which it's recovered is absolutly staggering, and also it has become a very powerful and aggressive economy, and it seems to me that a lot of Europe's finances right now are going through Germany via the EU.

In the case of this movie however it's not really about Germany but the Nazis, I *DO* actually seperate the two, though not as much as people might like (going into this would be a whole differant rant though). While based in Germany and run by Hitler, the Nazis were a massive international movement. One of the reasons why the US had so much propaganda and information control is that there were a lot of people in the US who supported them big time. Remember, Hitler was an international man of the year.

Truthfully it would upset a lot of people, but I've been of the opinion for a while that we need to get away from the "Hollywood Nazis" stereotype. The premise of this movie is fine, but overall I'd think that if the Nazis pretty much fled to the moon base at thw 11th hour a decent portion of them wouldn't have been German. I'm sure France would scream and yell, but one of the things about World War II is that France welcomed the Nazis more or less. Sure there were patriots and hold outs, but by and large after France's 'defeat' the resistance was largely exagerrated. It's just when the tide turned, France more or less changed sides again. People don't seem to realize that especially at that tech level everything came down to how many boots you could put on the ground in the end. The Nazis were not some tiny group of Germans oppressing their people and somehow conquering the rest of the world. They simply wouldn't have had the manpower to do it. They were based in German, and lead largely by Germans, but had massive amounts of people from all over the world, which is why they were able to hold territory. Germany didn't have the manpower.

Countries like Romania were especially enthusiastic about Nazism, The Holocaust, and everything else. The promise of the "Re-Romanianization of property" from the Jews was a big deal.

Still, when is the last time you've seen a nazi in uniform speaking with a Romanian, French, or Italian accent? I think the majority of the blame does fall on Germany, but I think it's kind of unfair to exclusively point fingers at the Germans when a lot of that manpower, and a lot of those atrocities, were being comitted by people who were literally from all over the globe.

I doubt this movie will go there, but spreading the blame around a bit might be a little more fair. It won't make me any more trusting of Germany, but at least they won't be being picked on exclusively. The Nazi high command was bad, but the guys who snapped into line with their initial successes and conquests were to blame true. I pick on Romania largely because according to some things I've read, they were some of the most fanatical about joining up. I believe a lot of Romanians were supposed to have died (along with people from all over Europe, but a big number of the Romanian recruits) in the Russian Campaign.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Lord Kloo said:
Gildan Bladeborn said:
Is that coming to theaters though? I was under the impression it wasn't seeing a theatrical release, just coming out on video (says someone who had pre-ordered himself a copy months ago).

On Topic: Oh hell yes - how is it I hadn't heard of this film before?!
Damn, this is not good, not good at all.. yes, just looked on their website, straight to DVD, ah well, AT LEAST it is coming at some point
Indeed, an entire agonizing 12 days from now. Waiting is going to be torture.

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
Therumancer said:
Exterminas said:
Sometimes it fascinates me how deeply the fear of german ingenuity is engraved into public concious. I wonder how much this actually domiates people's opinon on current germany's agendas.
A lot actually.

After two attempts to conquer the world, I hardly trust Germany. To me it hasn't seemed to change much either. I find it kind of ironic that one of their big attitudes nowadays is that "well we hate the Nazis so much that we oppress free speech to avoid talking about them". I find it kind of ironic that Germany continues to practice what seems to be massive information control, while trying to sell it as being something positive. Or at least that's how it looks to me. I mean I don't care if they are pulling the Swatstikas out of something or whatever, it's still censorship.

Now granted, I don't see Germany having the military power to engage in armed conquest anytime soon, but the rate at which it's recovered is absolutly staggering, and also it has become a very powerful and aggressive economy, and it seems to me that a lot of Europe's finances right now are going through Germany via the EU.

In the case of this movie however it's not really about Germany but the Nazis, I *DO* actually seperate the two, though not as much as people might like (going into this would be a whole differant rant though). While based in Germany and run by Hitler, the Nazis were a massive international movement. One of the reasons why the US had so much propaganda and information control is that there were a lot of people in the US who supported them big time. Remember, Hitler was an international man of the year.

Truthfully it would upset a lot of people, but I've been of the opinion for a while that we need to get away from the "Hollywood Nazis" stereotype. The premise of this movie is fine, but overall I'd think that if the Nazis pretty much fled to the moon base at thw 11th hour a decent portion of them wouldn't have been German. I'm sure France would scream and yell, but one of the things about World War II is that France welcomed the Nazis more or less. Sure there were patriots and hold outs, but by and large after France's 'defeat' the resistance was largely exagerrated. It's just when the tide turned, France more or less changed sides again. People don't seem to realize that especially at that tech level everything came down to how many boots you could put on the ground in the end. The Nazis were not some tiny group of Germans oppressing their people and somehow conquering the rest of the world. They simply wouldn't have had the manpower to do it. They were based in German, and lead largely by Germans, but had massive amounts of people from all over the world, which is why they were able to hold territory. Germany didn't have the manpower.

Countries like Romania were especially enthusiastic about Nazism, The Holocaust, and everything else. The promise of the "Re-Romanianization of property" from the Jews was a big deal.

Still, when is the last time you've seen a nazi in uniform speaking with a Romanian, French, or Italian accent? I think the majority of the blame does fall on Germany, but I think it's kind of unfair to exclusively point fingers at the Germans when a lot of that manpower, and a lot of those atrocities, were being comitted by people who were literally from all over the globe.

I doubt this movie will go there, but spreading the blame around a bit might be a little more fair. It won't make me any more trusting of Germany, but at least they won't be being picked on exclusively. The Nazi high command was bad, but the guys who snapped into line with their initial successes and conquests were to blame true. I pick on Romania largely because according to some things I've read, they were some of the most fanatical about joining up. I believe a lot of Romanians were supposed to have died (along with people from all over Europe, but a big number of the Romanian recruits) in the Russian Campaign.
Thank you for showing me what us Germans truly are! Yes, the reason we continously made our army smaller and gave it less funding over the years and are just now abolishing conscription must be our plans of WORLD DOMINATION!!! Because Germany is totally the only country in the history of ever, especially in the 19th/early 20th century that wanted to expand aggressively! Our aggressive and militaristic attitude is shown by the fact that people go completely batshit insane when a German bombing strike kills over 100 Taliban and a bunch of civilians, dominating the headlines for months. And what's this madness about Germany being possibly the most influential nation in the EU? Just because we have the most citizens and give by far the most money to the organization? MADNESS!!!

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
Therumancer said:
Exterminas said:
A lot actually.

This part of you post strikes me as strage. Two attempts? You count soccer? I mean, sorry if I sound like an imperialistic prick, but World War I wasn't about conquering the world and it wasn't caused by germany. Germany way merely allied with Austria (which was a seperate country in WWI, but not in WWII), which invaded Serbia, which was allied with Russia. Russia was allied with France and Britian (I think). The myth that World War one was caused by germany derives from the Versailles Treaty, which said that it was Germany's fault. Not from any historical fact.

Also, the thing with the EU is that Germany actually pays for all the fun.
Here is an article about 2008, unfortunately the most recent one I was able to find so quickly:

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,4714970,00.html

Of Course we are an exporting nation, so the whole festival beneftis us as well, but this only contributes to the economy's growth, not the sate's wealth. I will try ro explain: European Union is good for economy. Economy grows. Germany gets taxes from economy. Germany spends money on union. So, you see, It's not like we are taking golden showers over here ;)

Edit: Oh, and the quick recovery after the war is something we germans owe to america, because they payed for the fun, back then. Of course they probably only did it to prevent germany from succumbing to communism, but oh, well, was a nice thing to do anyway.

Edit2:
It's kinda funny. World War two was what put America into overdrive, mainly due to low american losses in the war (in terms of prodoction abilty) and due to the fact that world's leading scientists moved to america.

Werner von Braun built rockets for hitler, then worked for NASA. Einstein fled from europe, during the war. Jet Engines were invented in late-war-germany and taken to... Yep, america.
So the german ingenuity, which laid the foundation for the space nazis, actually laid the foundation for america's superiority in the late 20th century.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Duffeknol said:
Best use of Laibach EVER. Seriously, the music makes the entire trailer work.
Isn't that just the coolest? I don't recognize the artist (I'll google) but yes, the music absolutely pushes the whole thing over the top.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Shouldn't these Nazis have bones made of bread sticks after 73 years of lunar gravity?

Looks like another gimmicky movie. "Nazis in SPACE!".......So, now what?

ZelosRaine

Sep 20, 2010
Played this already, the reboot of the BattleZone games by Activision on the PC back in the late 90's. Of course, those Nazi's came back too soon, got their butts kicked, and their technology led to US and the USSR having a very hot war in some very cold space. Loved that game!

Mikester1290

Jun 29, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
Shouldn't these Nazis have bones made of bread sticks after 73 years of lunar gravity?

If they can build UFO thingys, what ever, then who says they're all floating around in them big arse buildings? They might have the bog-standard grav-plating that all sci-fi stuff tends to have, ie I don't remember many films/shows with people floating about their ships do you?

Have you watched Starwreck? It's pretty damn good.

TwistedEllipses

Nov 18, 2008
...is this before the Nazis tried to breed super-soldiers, werewolves, summon demons, steal the arc of the covenant + the holy grail or afterwards, when a sizeable chunk were turned into zombies?

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
The Nazi moonbase is shaped like a giant swastika; brilliant! :)
I bet it's gonna turn out fun!

Karathos

May 10, 2009
Rag Doll said:
Finland, Finland, Finland!!!
My country has it all.

Seriously, I think this is the best thing to get exported from here. EVER!
This, pretty much. It also says something about the finnish movie industry when this is pretty much the best movie our country's ever made. :D

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Mikester1290 said:
Casual Shinji said:

If they can build UFO thingys, what ever, then who says they're all floating around in them big arse buildings? They might have the bog-standard grav-plating that all sci-fi stuff tends to have, ie I don't remember many films/shows with people floating about their ships do you?

Have you watched Starwreck? It's pretty damn good.
I don't even know what the hell bog-standard grav-plating is, but it sounds pretty advanced. A little to advanced for the year 1945. Unless ofcourse, these Nazis are some kind of inter-dimensional species from Indy 4. What about shields agianst space radiation, they had that too?

If someone makes a sci-fi movie set in space, then I'm gonna nitpick the shit out of it.

Plus, if there's one thing I'm getting sick and tired of, it's this gimmicky Nazis and zombies nerd fanfare.

unicron44

Oct 12, 2010
I was born 50 years after Hitler was defeated, but whenever I see the Nazi flags and propaganda it scares me for some reason. Images of that, Hitler and other totalitarian leader just make me want to cover my eyes.