Iron Sky Sneak Peek: Nazis on the Moon

EgoDeusEst

May 9, 2008
Fr said:
anc[is]We're Nazis on the moon, we carry a harpoon...
Heh. I've been singing that to myself for te past 2 years XD
Never figured out how to continue the song though.

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
EgoDeusEst said:
Fr said:
Heh. I've been singing that to myself for te past 2 years XD
Never figured out how to continue the song though.
But there ain't no Heils!
So we tell tall tales
And sing a Heily Tune!

(Dammit there isn't a way to finish it)

subject_87

Jul 2, 2010
ionveau said:
After so many years of knowing what these Nazis did to the world we can finally make money off it and pretend they're just a story that can be used to make games
Yeah, it seems like they've been sadly transformed from 'horrible, horrible regime' to 'another stock villain'.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
"We're Nazis on the moon, we carry a harpoon, but there ain't no Jews, who can speak Hebrew, and sing a Jewish tune..."

[small]DISCLAIMER: This is a joke and is in no way meant to offend anyone. If you are offended then I apologise for your weak spine and lack of tolerance for humour. And no, I'm not an anti-Semite, I'm very much against anti-Semitism, before anyone starts...[/small]

Anyway, never heard of this before but it sounds interesting. I might keep an eye out for people's opinions and if it sounds good I might watch it sometime :).

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
this isn't the first couple minutes, it's the second trailer and its been out for a while now.

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
Bit slow on the draw, aren't we, Escapist? The trailer came out way back in May and you are only now reporting on it?

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
These jerks took my money but refused to acknowledge doing so, so I 'donated' but got nothing in return. And Paypal was 100% unhelpful in trying to get my money back.

Hope this project crashes and burns.

Christopher Roberts

Nov 16, 2010
ionveau said:
After so many years of knowing what these Nazis did to the world we can finally make money off it and pretend they're just a story that can be used to make games
Really? This isn't the first movie OR game based around Nazi's.

Christopher Roberts

Nov 16, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
Mikester1290 said:
Casual Shinji said:
Shouldn't these Nazis have bones made of bread sticks after 73 years of lunar gravity?

Looks like another gimmicky movie. "Nazis in SPACE!".......So, now what?
If they can build UFO thingys, what ever, then who says they're all floating around in them big arse buildings? They might have the bog-standard grav-plating that all sci-fi stuff tends to have, ie I don't remember many films/shows with people floating about their ships do you?

Have you watched Starwreck? It's pretty damn good.
I don't even know what the hell bog-standard grav-plating is, but it sounds pretty advanced. A little to advanced for the year 1945. Unless ofcourse, these Nazis are some kind of inter-dimensional species from Indy 4. What about shields agianst space radiation, they had that too?

If someone makes a sci-fi movie set in space, then I'm gonna nitpick the shit out of it.

Plus, if there's one thing I'm getting sick and tired of, it's this gimmicky Nazis and zombies nerd fanfare.
Let's face it, it is entirely implausible to think this storyline holds water. That is why it is a fictional film, not a documentary.

Whitenail

Sep 28, 2010
Fr said:
But there ain't no Juden so we just keep moonin' as we sing our Nazi tunes (no offense)...

I heard about this back at Supanova, even picked up a cute little flyer in the style of a propaganda pamphlet. I reckon it looks pretty awesome.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
HK_01 said:
Thank you for showing me what us Germans truly are! Yes, the reason we continously made our army smaller and gave it less funding over the years and are just now abolishing conscription must be our plans of WORLD DOMINATION!!! Because Germany is totally the only country in the history of ever, especially in the 19th/early 20th century that wanted to expand aggressively! Our aggressive and militaristic attitude is shown by the fact that people go completely batshit insane when a German bombing strike kills over 100 Taliban and a bunch of civilians, dominating the headlines for months. And what's this madness about Germany being possibly the most influential nation in the EU? Just because we have the most citizens and give by far the most money to the organization? MADNESS!!!

There is more than one way for a nation to become powerful and conquer the world. Currently possessing a powerful military is irrelevent to the equasion. Germany is becoming a massive economic power and a lot of damage and control can be acheieved that way. A military can be build up once you have the base established for it.

Germany does not, and never has had, the manpower nessicary for world conquest on it's own. It just doesn't have the people for that level of occupation, which is part of the point I was making about the Nazis. Germany builds up economically, garners an international following again, and then that's when it would start building the war machine.

Germany rebuilt itself militarily with amazing speed after World War I once it got it's ducks in a row again. As was said, there is a "fear of german industriousness", I won't deny there isn't some accuracy to that.

I'm one of those people who doesn't trust germany with any power whatsoever. I very much think Germany should have been kept poor and toothless for a while to come yet. But then again understand I'm not one of the more liberal and forgiving sorts. I feel two attempts at world domination in the last century (which just ended) is more than enough to warrent "special" treatment and consideration.

I can understand how Germans don't like this, I really can. My trust is something that would have to be earned, and simply put that hasn't happened. Not that I expect earning the trust of 'ol Therumancer to be on the national priority list for obvious reasons.

Still, going off on me is kind of irrelevent. The point here is someone was asking why there is paranoia about Germany from so many people. I explained why. You might not like the answer, and chances are if your German (or liberal) you by definition aren't going to agree with it. I think I am a pretty typical example of "the other side" on this matter. Consider yourself educated to the other point of view, even if you don't like it.

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
Therumancer said:
There is more than one way for a nation to become powerful and conquer the world. Currently possessing a powerful military is irrelevent to the equasion. Germany is becoming a massive economic power and a lot of damage and control can be acheieved that way. A military can be build up once you have the base established for it.

Germany does not, and never has had, the manpower nessicary for world conquest on it's own. It just doesn't have the people for that level of occupation, which is part of the point I was making about the Nazis. Germany builds up economically, garners an international following again, and then that's when it would start building the war machine.

Germany rebuilt itself militarily with amazing speed after World War I once it got it's ducks in a row again. As was said, there is a "fear of german industriousness", I won't deny there isn't some accuracy to that.

I'm one of those people who doesn't trust germany with any power whatsoever. I very much think Germany should have been kept poor and toothless for a while to come yet. But then again understand I'm not one of the more liberal and forgiving sorts. I feel two attempts at world domination in the last century (which just ended) is more than enough to warrent "special" treatment and consideration.

I can understand how Germans don't like this, I really can. My trust is something that would have to be earned, and simply put that hasn't happened. Not that I expect earning the trust of 'ol Therumancer to be on the national priority list for obvious reasons.

Still, going off on me is kind of irrelevent. The point here is someone was asking why there is paranoia about Germany from so many people. I explained why. You might not like the answer, and chances are if your German (or liberal) you by definition aren't going to agree with it. I think I am a pretty typical example of "the other side" on this matter. Consider yourself educated to the other point of view, even if you don't like it.
I'm sorry to inform you that you should probably go to history class again. Seriously, get your info straight on what World War 1 was all about (hint: It was not about Germany trying to conquer the world). And you do realize that "keeping Germany poor and toothless" was arguably the main reason why Germany went batshit insane on Europe after it got some power again after the First World War?

I also don't understand why we "haven't earned" your trust. We stood by the US during the entire Cold War and are in the pointless crap that is Afghanistan for you (I'm just assuming you're from the States, your profile doesn't say).

By the way, I'd like to know your opinion on Great Britain, the guys who forcefully conquered something lika one fourth of the world.
Or the US, which just goes off to war whenever it feels like it and spends more on its army than all other countries combined.
Or whether you think the same of the Japanese as you do of us Germans because of their empire building activities.

Edit: I also think that most people don't hold such grudges against us Germans anymore. I haven't met any that I can recall right now.

Edit 2: And duh, I'm German. Hence why I say "us" when talking about Germans...oh, and left. Yes, fear me for I am your worst nightmare!!!

Therumancer said:
Oh, no doubts there. Plenty of things have been said about "Operation Paperclip" and the like. Not to mention how much medical science comes from the research of guys like Dr. Mengele, and the Japanese "Unit 731". Germany's unfettered approach to pursueing scientific knowlege unhindered by morality caused science to go barreling ahead, and is at the root of a LOT of debates about current ethics. Cynics who point out that the entire war was "our German Scientists against their German scientists" are right on the money.

On those grounds though your also explaining *why* people like me distrust Germany and it's industriousness, and have issues with it being a world power again, even if it doesn't have a huge military at the moment.

With a strong economy and industry comes influance, and with influance comes alliances and manpower. Germany didn't act alone in either of the World Wars, something that a lot of people like to overlook (and as I pointed out). While Germany was calling the shots, the Nazis for example were a massive international movement. Germany simply did not have the man power for EITHER world war and was only able to do what it did because of international influance. If Germany has the influance to get it's ducks in a row again (so to speak) building a war machine in record time is one of Germany's defining traits, along with advancing science totally unhindered by any concepts of short term humanity or morality. As can be discussed in ethics classes nowadays, in the long term it can be argued that what guys like Dr. Mengele did represented the "greater good" by many moral systems because in the long run what he learned lead to saving far more lives than were lost during the research. Is letting a hundred thousand people die to avoid torturing and murdering one person? If you studied ethics properly in school that question is not an easy one to answer, and for a lot of people comes down to how it's framed. In general however Germany and the US tend to finally come down on opposite sides of the morality spectrum throughout most of history on questions like that (though this is getting well off the subject).

World War I is a very debatable occurance, and something historians can spend hours argueing about. World War II being more popular in part because I believe it's more easily understood by all sides, being a bit less political in nature.

I will say that I think you downplay the involvement of Germany. It's characterized as the bad guys (by the victors) more so than say the Austrians for a reason. It's also noteworthy that the Treaty of Versailles which arguably ended the war:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_versailles

... is pretty much between Germany and the allied powers.

It's also noteworthy that the Treaty is one of the key points of rhetoric in starting World War II, due to Germany feeling slighted with the resolution to the war given the fact that it felt it should have ultimatly wound up running Europe as a result of the chain of events that started that conflict. Hence a lot of the national destiny and "third Reich" stuff (with a Reich being an age pretty much).

Germany was militarily "gimped" after World War I, which is why I have little faith about Germany not having much of a military right now being an assurance of what it's going to do in the long run. I have issues with the country being wealthy and economically powerful enough to be a factor in Europe, and to be a force in things like the EU. If it's influance spreads and it gets enough allies, I am not convinced that it's not going to wind up taking a crack at things again.

Right now I think the "oh, us poor Germans are harmless and toothless" stuff is very similar to how things looked post-World War I, when people viewed that as "The Great War" and figured nothing like that could, or would ever happen again, a couple of decades again we wound up fighting the same dudes in an even bigger war.

Hey, you don't have to like what I'm saying or agree with it. I can understand why Germans in paticular don't care for it (obviously). Nobody wants to be thought of that way. I however think I'm a pretty typical representitive of those who still have issues with Germany and don't trust it. If your wondering "why" whether you agree with it or not, I think I've summarized the reasons pretty well.

The only thing that is going to change my opinion is the passage of time, and if Germany is ever tested on that level. Right now however I do not trust Germany. Heck, I only trust Japan as far as I do because we pretty much have the entire nation under constant occupation (we have massive military forces based there as our major pipeline into the Eastern World).
The sheer insulting nature of your posts somehow makes me wish that your stupid fears came true. Well, not really.

At this point it's also interesting to note that I know a lot of Russians and all of them are really fond of us Germans, despite the fact that they are the nation which we did by far the most harm to. Interesting. You'll probably dismiss this though because the Russians are also evil!

Since I know that you won't ever change your mind regarding my people, which I honestly don't care about anyway, I'd just like to know this: Do you distrust all nations, including your own? Because pretty much any nation that's not a really, really small one, and even some of those, have built empires in the past.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Exterminas said:
Therumancer said:
Exterminas said:
Sometimes it fascinates me how deeply the fear of german ingenuity is engraved into public concious. I wonder how much this actually domiates people's opinon on current germany's agendas.
A lot actually.

After two attempts to conquer the world, I hardly trust Germany. To me it hasn't seemed to change much either. I find it kind of ironic that one of their big attitudes nowadays is that "well we hate the Nazis so much that we oppress free speech to avoid talking about them". I find it kind of ironic that Germany continues to practice what seems to be massive information control, while trying to sell it as being something positive. Or at least that's how it looks to me. I mean I don't care if they are pulling the Swatstikas out of something or whatever, it's still censorship.

Now granted, I don't see Germany having the military power to engage in armed conquest anytime soon, but the rate at which it's recovered is absolutly staggering, and also it has become a very powerful and aggressive economy, and it seems to me that a lot of Europe's finances right now are going through Germany via the EU.
This part of you post strikes me as strage. Two attempts? You count soccer? I mean, sorry if I sound like an imperialistic prick, but World War I wasn't about conquering the world and it wasn't caused by germany. Germany way merely allied with Austria (which was a seperate country in WWI, but not in WWII), which invaded Serbia, which was allied with Russia. Russia was allied with France and Britian (I think). The myth that World War one was caused by germany derives from the Versailles Treaty, which said that it was Germany's fault. Not from any historical fact.

Also, the thing with the EU is that Germany actually pays for all the fun.
Here is an article about 2008, unfortunately the most recent one I was able to find so quickly:

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,4714970,00.html

Of Course we are an exporting nation, so the whole festival beneftis us as well, but this only contributes to the economy's growth, not the sate's wealth. I will try ro explain: European Union is good for economy. Economy grows. Germany gets taxes from economy. Germany spends money on union. So, you see, It's not like we are taking golden showers over here ;)

Edit: Oh, and the quick recovery after the war is something we germans owe to america, because they payed for the fun, back then. Of course they probably only did it to prevent germany from succumbing to communism, but oh, well, was a nice thing to do anyway.

Edit2:
It's kinda funny. World War two was what put America into overdrive, mainly due to low american losses in the war (in terms of prodoction abilty) and due to the fact that world's leading scientists moved to america.

Werner von Braun built rockets for hitler, then worked for NASA. Einstein fled from europe, during the war. Jet Engines were invented in late-war-germany and taken to... Yep, america.
So the german ingenuity, which laid the foundation for the space nazis, actually laid the foundation for america's superiority in the late 20th century.

Oh, no doubts there. Plenty of things have been said about "Operation Paperclip" and the like. Not to mention how much medical science comes from the research of guys like Dr. Mengele, and the Japanese "Unit 731". Germany's unfettered approach to pursueing scientific knowlege unhindered by morality caused science to go barreling ahead, and is at the root of a LOT of debates about current ethics. Cynics who point out that the entire war was "our German Scientists against their German scientists" are right on the money.

On those grounds though your also explaining *why* people like me distrust Germany and it's industriousness, and have issues with it being a world power again, even if it doesn't have a huge military at the moment.

With a strong economy and industry comes influance, and with influance comes alliances and manpower. Germany didn't act alone in either of the World Wars, something that a lot of people like to overlook (and as I pointed out). While Germany was calling the shots, the Nazis for example were a massive international movement. Germany simply did not have the man power for EITHER world war and was only able to do what it did because of international influance. If Germany has the influance to get it's ducks in a row again (so to speak) building a war machine in record time is one of Germany's defining traits, along with advancing science totally unhindered by any concepts of short term humanity or morality. As can be discussed in ethics classes nowadays, in the long term it can be argued that what guys like Dr. Mengele did represented the "greater good" by many moral systems because in the long run what he learned lead to saving far more lives than were lost during the research. Is letting a hundred thousand people die to avoid torturing and murdering one person? If you studied ethics properly in school that question is not an easy one to answer, and for a lot of people comes down to how it's framed. In general however Germany and the US tend to finally come down on opposite sides of the morality spectrum throughout most of history on questions like that (though this is getting well off the subject).

World War I is a very debatable occurance, and something historians can spend hours argueing about. World War II being more popular in part because I believe it's more easily understood by all sides, being a bit less political in nature.

I will say that I think you downplay the involvement of Germany. It's characterized as the bad guys (by the victors) more so than say the Austrians for a reason. It's also noteworthy that the Treaty of Versailles which arguably ended the war:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_versailles

... is pretty much between Germany and the allied powers.

It's also noteworthy that the Treaty is one of the key points of rhetoric in starting World War II, due to Germany feeling slighted with the resolution to the war given the fact that it felt it should have ultimatly wound up running Europe as a result of the chain of events that started that conflict. Hence a lot of the national destiny and "third Reich" stuff (with a Reich being an age pretty much).

Germany was militarily "gimped" after World War I, which is why I have little faith about Germany not having much of a military right now being an assurance of what it's going to do in the long run. I have issues with the country being wealthy and economically powerful enough to be a factor in Europe, and to be a force in things like the EU. If it's influance spreads and it gets enough allies, I am not convinced that it's not going to wind up taking a crack at things again.

Right now I think the "oh, us poor Germans are harmless and toothless" stuff is very similar to how things looked post-World War I, when people viewed that as "The Great War" and figured nothing like that could, or would ever happen again, a couple of decades again we wound up fighting the same dudes in an even bigger war.

Hey, you don't have to like what I'm saying or agree with it. I can understand why Germans in paticular don't care for it (obviously). Nobody wants to be thought of that way. I however think I'm a pretty typical representitive of those who still have issues with Germany and don't trust it. If your wondering "why" whether you agree with it or not, I think I've summarized the reasons pretty well.

The only thing that is going to change my opinion is the passage of time, and if Germany is ever tested on that level. Right now however I do not trust Germany. Heck, I only trust Japan as far as I do because we pretty much have the entire nation under constant occupation (we have massive military forces based there as our major pipeline into the Eastern World).

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
HK_01 said:
Since I know that you won't ever change your mind regarding my people, which I honestly don't care about anyway, I'd just like to know this: Do you distrust all nations, including your own? Because pretty much any nation that's not a really, really small one, and even some of those, have built empires in the past.

It's not me who needs to go "re-attend history class". Again, as I liked to in another post, you might want to check out "The Treaty Of Versailles" and what surrounded it. Yes you ARE correct that (though that treaty) there was an attempt to keep Germany poor and Toothless, but look at what happened when we failed to do so? The Nazis came into power, Germany convinced a good portion of the world that they should pretty much be in charge, and then we had World War II to deal with.

As I said, I don't expect a lot of Germans to agree with me for obvious reasons, and I'm sure to a German there are a million reasons of various degrees of sense as to why I'm wrong (from comparisons to The British Empire like you mentioned, to dozens of others that could be made). The bottom line is that nobody likes being in that position, deserved or not. Especially if the reasons had nothing to do with them (or their generation) personally.

I very much see not sticking to our guns with Germany after World War I being what caused World War II to begin with. I very much see a lot of similarities in how a lot of those countries you mention are friendly with Germany right now despite what happened. People forget Hitler was an international man of the year, toast of the globe, and what we were actually dealing with. I on the other hand choose to remember those things.

Let me be honest here though, this debate all started with fishing for answers. "Why do people fear and dislike Germany?" I answered you. Don't go griping at me because I answered the question.

Fine, you don't care what I think. Good for you. But then again perhaps you should remind people of that before they bother to ask.

Me? I personally think in a century or two is when it will be a more fair time to really evaluate Germany or decide if the Germans can be trusted. Something for later generations to decide. I think the previous wars were too recent for anyone to be forgiving anything.

What's more when you have Germany engaging in internal censorship, erasing Nazi symbolism, and basically trying to pretend that World War II didn't happen, I have issues. No matter what the professed reason that kind of information control is a problem, and by being in practice at all, for any reason, shows that Germany hasn't changed that much.

But then again this is my opinion, and really that's what was ultimatly being asked for.

Obviously we're going to have to agree to disagree. Perhaps something will change my mind, but like with many things, that has yet to happen.