Irrelevant game titles

TheRussian

May 8, 2011
Dethenger said:
Assassin's Creed.

The Creed itself hasn't really been relevant since the first one, and assassinations themselves are actually rather scarce lately. I can only think of two in Assassin's Creed III.
Ah, ninja'd.
I'd say IL-2 Sturmovik is pretty irrelevant, since in every game you use a very large variety of aircraft, and most likely the actual IL-2 is not the most effective aircraft to use. What's even more hilarious is that the cover of IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 has a picture of the MiG 9.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
Marik2 said:
LOL Muv Luv Alternative takes the cake for stupid title but has great content

You would never figure out that it is a mecha visual novel from a title like that

Think "muv luv" is suppose to mean "more love" or something

Is that JAM project? The same group behind this masterpiece?

Also, is that VN any good?

OT: I've always thought Super Mario is dumb title. I mean compared to most gaming protagonists he's very much average at this point. Then we come to the Nintendo 64 era with "[Game Title] 64" on everything.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Shoggoth2588 said:
The Last Story...I haven't beaten this one so maybe everybody and everything dies in the end.
The game's title is basically "Final Fantasy" but with different words. Which makes sense as the game was made by the same guys who made most of the original FF games.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Baron von Blitztank said:
Marik2 said:
LOL Muv Luv Alternative takes the cake for stupid title but has great content

You would never figure out that it is a mecha visual novel from a title like that

Think "muv luv" is suppose to mean "more love" or something

Is that JAM project? The same group behind this masterpiece?

Also, is that VN any good?

OT: I've always thought Super Mario is dumb title. I mean compared to most gaming protagonists he's very much average at this point. Then we come to the Nintendo 64 era with "[Game Title] 64" on everything.
Yeah it's JAM project and they made another OP for the game

The game is great and one of the few high budget visual novels to be fan translated.

TheGrueHunter

Jan 14, 2013
So basically almost every title ever made doesn't make much sense unless you have some knowledge about the game. Can't this be applied to most movies as well? Inception, The Bourne Supremacy, Skyfall, Argo, Die Hard, etc. The same goes for books, TV shows, ... pretty much everything.

To be honest, does anyone really care? After all, isn't this the way it's supposed to be? Aren't you supposed to make the game or book or movie first and title it later, not the other way around?

Vitagen

Apr 25, 2010
Cody Hargreaves said:
. . . I hate typing letters.
That's got to be inconvenient. Perhaps you could try typing the decimal representation of the associated ASCII.

OT: I started playing Darksiders a while ago, and so far as I can tell, the title has nothing to do with the actual game. What is this dark side, and who are these so-called "darksiders" associated with it?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
TheGrueHunter said:
So basically almost every title ever made doesn't make much sense unless you have some knowledge about the game. Can't this be applied to most movies as well? Inception, The Bourne Supremacy, Skyfall, Argo, Die Hard, etc. The same goes for books, TV shows, ... pretty much everything.

To be honest, does anyone really care? After all, isn't this the way it's supposed to be? Aren't you supposed to make the game or book or movie first and title it later, not the other way around?
The point was that games like Mirror's Edge and Half Life have titles that give literally no clue, or even a wrong impression, about what you're about to play.

Pop in Gears of War, Killzone or Tomb Raider, though, and you have a decent idea of what's about to happen.

Mikkaddo

Black Rose Knight
Jan 19, 2008
Star Craft. Never understood the context of the title, unless they're making some kind of vague drawn out connection between the Outer Space setting and the similarity of slowly upgrading your troops and crafting items in RPGs and MMOs.

For that matter I've never quite understood the naming convention of Resident Evil. I mean MAYBE they mean that the zombies are residents of the place the game takes place in but that only goes so far, especially since the games focus around Umbrella Pharmaceuticals. I dunno, I just think the European and Japanese name "Biohazard" makes more sense.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
.hack//GU or whatever the heck it is.
Although I've never played the game. To anyone who HAS played and can tell me if there's something to the title, please do so.

Army Of Two: The 4oth Day
I know you needed to come up with something so you wouldn't have Army of Two 2 on your hands but what does "The 40th Day" mean?

Spiritmaster

Dec 4, 2012
Anno 2070. The 2070 makes sense seeing as though its the future and what not. Unless the Anno is shorthand for annotate... or annoyed.

dfphetteplace

Nov 29, 2009
I get your point, but that is kind of like criticizing a band for their name not having anything to do with the music. Opeth, their music is not played in a city on the moon.
Arch Enemy, they are not super heros, or whatever.
Oddland, they are not a mass of dirt.
Odyssey, they have nothing to do with an ancient epic poem.

I just picked some CDs that were sitting on my desk, so completely random there. I think game titles and band names set a mood, not so much describe what they are about. The same could be said about book titles. Look at Great Expectations. That book sucked.

lechat

Dec 5, 2012
PreviouslyPwned said:
DmC: Devil May Cry

Utterly pointless. What were they thinking?
that prolly makes a lot more sense in japanese where it prolly sounds more like "evil demon who has a heart"

Killclaw Kilrathi

Crocuta Crocuta
Dec 28, 2010
Privateer 2: The Darkening. It's not even set in the same universe as the original Privateer, and nothing gets darker throughout the game. I mean, it's mostly set in space so it's already pretty dark, but yeah.

Keil Ahrens

Dec 28, 2012
Spiritmaster said:
Anno 2070. The 2070 makes sense seeing as though its the future and what not. Unless the Anno is shorthand for annotate... or annoyed.
"Anno" is Latin for "year". So it just means "Year 2070". Still doesn't tell you much about it, other than it's set in the future.

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
I'm gonna have to go with "Bioshock" on this one. It's just nonsense.

Also, "Mass Effect". I read somewhere that Bioware originally planned a plot twist where it would turn out that the use of Mass Effect fields was actually fucking around with the amount of dark matter/energy, and that intergalactic civilizations were slowly destroying the universe just by using the technology. (I think that's what Tali's mysterious dying star in ME2 was going to be about) But we all know what happened instead, so let's just move on.

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
Any shmup and their crazy Japanese names that don't get changed for the west.

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
shrekfan246 said:
To cherry pick an example here, take Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. That brings to mind exactly what it contains inside when you read its name: Military warfare, likely filled with tons of guns and explosions. Anybody would probably be able to suppose that much, just from the name alone. You can't do that with Halo or Prototype or Dark Souls. We just don't question it because it's so ingrained in the social unconscious by now that finding someone who hasn't at least heard of Halo is a surprise in itself. But seriously, find somebody who doesn't play video games, tell them there's a game called Dark Souls, and ask what they think it's about. I doubt they'll say "brutal fantasy action-RPG set in a hostile, lonely world".
Again, you assume this is only in videogames, and not everything related to media. You here the title Breaking Bad and you wouldn't guess it was about a teacher turning into a meth cook. The point of a title is to catch your attention, not throw out exactly wtf is going on. Sure, lame boring titles work sometimes, like Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. But it's a proven mental mechanic to catch the passerby's attention with titles like Firefly, Fallout, The Road, or Lucky # Slevin. So people pick up the box/book/whatever and take a look at it, wondering what it's about.

It seriously sounds like saying that you can't do this with anything. Okay, if I told you I'm listening to an album called Born to Die, what type of music do you think it is? What do you think the book Sphere is about?

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Jennacide said:
shrekfan246 said:
To cherry pick an example here, take Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. That brings to mind exactly what it contains inside when you read its name: Military warfare, likely filled with tons of guns and explosions. Anybody would probably be able to suppose that much, just from the name alone. You can't do that with Halo or Prototype or Dark Souls. We just don't question it because it's so ingrained in the social unconscious by now that finding someone who hasn't at least heard of Halo is a surprise in itself. But seriously, find somebody who doesn't play video games, tell them there's a game called Dark Souls, and ask what they think it's about. I doubt they'll say "brutal fantasy action-RPG set in a hostile, lonely world".
Again, you assume this is only in videogames, and not everything related to media.
Where did I assume that? Please point it out to me, because I made another post in this very thread specifically stating that I'm pointing out video game titles because this thread is about video game titles. If it were about media in general, you're damn right I'd pick out titles like Inception, Man on the Moon, Serenity, Les Miserables, Thud!, Steins;Gate, A Beautiful Lie, Garden State, Daisy, Foiled, White Pony, So Long and Thanks For All the Fish, The Silmarillion, etc. etc.

How catching a title is has no relevance to how much it relates to the content that it contains. A title can be interesting without being directly related to the subject matter within, and it can make a person become more interested in finding out more about the piece of entertainment, but that's not the point of this thread.