is 0 even or odd?

Drakmeire

Elite Member
Jun 27, 2009
Country
United States
Neither, you can't divide 0 by 2 or any other number.
Do I win?

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
From Yahoo:

After some further digging, we turned up two other sources that argued that 0 falls into the realm of even numbers. Dr. Pete of the Math Forum insists that every integer must be even or odd, and states, "An integer 'n' is called *even* if there exists an integer m such that n = 2m...From this, it is clear that 0 = (2)(0) is even." The Straight Dope echoes these findings in a column on the subject.

Custard_Angel

Aug 6, 2009
Neither... Zero is not an integer.

The concept of even and odd only applies to integers therefore 2 is even, 3 is odd, 3.5 is neither and 0 is neither also.

Lightning Delight

Apr 21, 2011
I think 0 is a concept more than an actual number. It signifies that you have nothing. You can't put a numerical value on a concept, and you need a numerical value to classify something as even or odd.

knhirt

Nov 9, 2009
keideki said:
Neither.... zero is not a number, but a lack there of.
Wait, what?
Zero is not like darkness (being the absence of light).

Zero is a number like any other, and it is even.
Source: http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/57104.html

zfactor

Jan 16, 2010
Drakmeire said:
Do I win?
Um, yeah, you can. You just get zero. It is also by definition, even. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parity_of_zero

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
Drakmeire said:
Do I win?
Yes you can. You can't divide by 0, but you can divide 0 by any non-zero real number.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
Custard_Angel said:

The concept of even and odd only applies to integers therefore 2 is even, 3 is odd, 3.5 is neither and 0 is neither also.
Actually zero is an element in the set of integers (the Z set).

Strictly speaking it's even, since when you do set mappings you use 2*n for evens and 2n+(or -)1 for odds where n is an integer. However the principle of odd and even is only really used in natural number mappings, and 0 is not a natural number. So essentially from an analytical maths perspective it doesn't really matter but for the sake of completeness it's even.

ThunderDumpling

Jun 1, 2011
The Spartan E1337 said:
I think 0 is a concept more than an actual number.It signifies that you have nothing. You can't put a numerical value on a concept, and you need a numerical value to classify something as even or odd.
Droppa Deuce said:
Zero has NO value.

It is neither and both at the same time.

It is NIL
Custard_Angel said:

keideki said:
Neither.... zero is not a number, but a lack there of.
We're kidding right?

sylekage

Dec 24, 2008
Even, because it's a multiple of....no wait, odd because it's...noo, it's...not a number? it's...it's...oh god, oh no! *head explosion*

I'm just gonna go with "neither, it's a doughnut"