is 0 even or odd?

Macheteswordgun

Jul 24, 2010
My guess would be even seeing as how 1 is the first odd and it wouldn't make sense to skip 0 and make 2 the first even number....

Fishehh

May 2, 2009
If it was a number it'd be even because one (1) is odd and since after one (1) every other number is even such as two (2) and four (4) (Therefore making 3 odd) it works the other way to make zero even the same way two (2) is, it's next to an odd number.

But since it isn't in the category of Real Numbers, it does not matter

EDIT: Used the word Therefore WAY too many times for my liking

Regiment

Nov 9, 2009
Zero is an integer. By definition, any integer that, when divided by 2, yields an integer is even. 0/2=0. Because 0 is an integer, it is even. (Someone already linked to the appropriate Wikipedia page, but here it is again.)

pliusmannn

Dec 4, 2008
Neither, it's a starting point in the infinity, basically, zero is nothing, like the begginning of a universe, negatives are infinite space in anti-matter/anti-energy universe and positives are our universe (thinking that big bang created enough energy to produce to mirror universes). zero is that point. In math zero is a starting point in infinite line, the place where you can begin. In physics zero doesn't exist (except from basic physics. In quantum mechanics zero doesn't exist, only numbers so small that they can be ignored as they doesn't make a difference in your equation). In phylosophy zero is absolute nothingness

FFHAuthor

Aug 1, 2010
Zero is a baseline and not a 'number' in the sense that 1 or 2 is. It's a creation that's necessary for higher mathematical formula, some older civilizations didn't have 'zero' in their numbering system, they had all the other numbers, but lacked a zero.

Otec

Apr 2, 2010
Even.

And to anybody who says that nothingness can't be classified, or that zero is a concept as opposed to a number... you don't know very much math, do you?

Sightless Wisdom

Resident Cynic
Jul 24, 2009
Well it's either nothing or even. 1 is something, 0 is nothing. But if you were to argue that 0 is a number, 2X0=0, and 0/2=0;it's even.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
i would like to say even, simply because it comes before 1 which is odd.

but i know nothing on the matter really :)

blaqknoise said:
Even. You can split it equally into two groups.
/win

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
Just curious, how many people saying 'neither' are mathematicians? I'd guess none of them... which means there's an even number of them >.>

(that was supposed to be light-hearted btw)

Heathrow

Jul 2, 2009
zfactor said:
Um, yeah, you can. You just get zero. It is also by definition, even. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parity_of_zero
Yes, okay. But how do you tell two chunks of nothing divided into equal groups apart from one big bunch of nothing with a set of scales in it? For that matter, what if you have three equal groups of nothing?

Mathematicians are lazy and the only reason 0 is technically even is because it fits the oversimplified definition of parity.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Galliam said:
Even, because it comes before 1 which is odd. DUH.
Haha, I like this answer. :p

But yeah, if the rules of math say that 0 is an integer, then it's even. After all, it's also math that says what is even or odd. So if you're already looking at things from a mathematical standpoint to see if something is even or odd, it only makes sense to consider 0 as an integer and thus it is even.

RaNDM G

Apr 28, 2009
As for whether it is odd or even, zero is even. This is because it can be divisible by two (ie. 0/2=0).

It also makes sense that it is even if you count along the number line. Counting backwards from 2, we know that 2 is even and 1 is odd. Since -1 is odd and 0 lies between 1 and -1, it just makes sense to call 0 even.

Tiger Sora said:
Hmm I think were gona have to divide 0 on this one guys.
OH SHIIII-!

EDIT: Got some flak for saying zero wasn't a number earlier. Let's shed some light on the subject:

Zero is considered a real number in that it has its own spot on the number line (ie:...,-2,-1,0,1,2,...) and that it can be used in equations such as 3+0=3 or 23x0=0.

BUT! In the case of natural numbers (ie: 1,2,3,4,...), zero is not a number. When you count something, you automatically start at one and go up to two, three, four, and so on. Because zero doesn't have a numerical value here, it doesn't count. Of course, this would also mean that fractions, negative numbers, and the concept of pi cannot be natural numbers either.

So to put it simply, it really depends on what concept of math you're talking about.

Scipio1770

Oct 3, 2010
Can we please not turn this into another zero/infinity debate? yes zero is a placeholder, because that's what numbers are, placeholders for quantities.

Heathrow said:
Mathematicians are lazy and the only reason 0 is technically even is because it fits the oversimplified definition of even.
please enlighten us then.

Ashcrexl

May 27, 2009
we really need a poll here. we seem to be getting roughly 1/3 even, odd, and neither.

personally, i think neither, but mathematic proof may say otherwise. SOMEONE DO A PROOF RIGHT NOW

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Custard_Angel said:
Neither... Zero is not an integer.

The concept of even and odd only applies to integers therefore 2 is even, 3 is odd, 3.5 is neither and 0 is neither also.
0 is an interger, and it's even. -1 is odd, so is 1, therefore 0 must be even.

drummond13

Apr 28, 2008
Okay, this is the best topic ever. I have never seen so many absolutely hilarious responses. Seriously, I need to start writing these down. Even if this is simply a lot of trolling, it's amazing, just for a different reason.

The sheer amount of people that think zero is some sort of philosophical concept rather than an actual number is mind boggling. This is not complicated math. I understand the amount of ignorance on a thread on how the number: .99999(repeating) is equal to the number 1, because that's admittedly a difficult concept to wrap one's mind around.

This isn't. The number zero exists. It IS a number. Oh, and it's even.

This isn't even a subjective topic.