Is 18 years old too old to start gaming as a main hobby?

swiglo

Aug 13, 2014
Well the title isn't entirely accurate as I started gaming at around age 4-5, but the thing is most games I've played throughout my life are fairly obscure titles and parents never bought me much games. I can say I had phases of obsession with certain video game series throughout my life. I'm 18 years old now.
At around the age 16 I also decided to take a break from video games to pursue other hobbies more (books and movies specifically). It's been over 2 years and I am just now coming back to games from said break (I've been playing an online sidescroller MMO called Transformice for a little over a year now actually but I don't really count that since it doesn't have the linear, progressive structure of the games I'm accustommed to).
I've always considered video games my main hobby even when I temporarily abandoned them, so would you say it's too late for me to treat them as such?

Majinash

May 27, 2014
I don't see any reason why they couldn't. As long as you continue to find games you enjoy to play, and have the free time to play them, there is nothing to stop you.

And considering these days we have an incredible number of games coming out every month, with some very diverse gameplay I think the only limiting factor is if you can find the free time to play the ones you like.

Welcome back to gaming.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Eighteen?

God no, you're way too old.

You're practically 20, and that's pretty close to being 30, which is just one digit off being 40, and that's about the time you have to start worrying about dying of old age.

Nah, sorry mate, I'm afraid you've missed out. You won't have developed the steely finger tendons and advanced muscle memory that you need to be a real gamer. You need to start that shit real young, like 8 months at the oldest.

As far as you're concerned, the gaming train has well and truly left the station.

BeeGeenie

May 30, 2012
At your age, I'm afraid you'll never have a career in professional gaming, but with time and practice, I'm sure you'll someday be a productive member of the gaming community.

Ylla

Jul 14, 2014
I just came from the Elite:Dangerous forums and it seems like half of the backers there are around their 50s or 60s and played the original Elite. Youre never too old to enjoy videogames.

LaoJim

Aug 24, 2013
If you look closely at the boxes, you see that many if not most games these days are listed as 18+.

My mum started gaming when she was 60+. I'd say you were okay.

What would being too old entail exactly. You've started to play and are enjoying it, no? Why would you stop?

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
LaoJim said:
If you look closely at the boxes, you see that many if not most games these days are listed as 18+.
Precisely.

I tend to find that the amount of money you spend is a good indication of what is your 'main' hobby is rather than age.

maxcloud17

Jul 21, 2014
I dont think age should be a factor as long as the content of the game is not for adults. However, games can be very useful for kids to get knowledge on interesting things...

JonnyHG

Nov 7, 2011
Is this a serious question? You're never too old to start/continue doing things you enjoy...

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
Life's too short to worry much about whether other people think you're too old to enjoy the things you like. Besides, I didn't start gaming as a main hobby until about your age. It just means there's that many more great and now very affordable games for you to catch up on. My main piece of advice would be to hold out for Steam and Gog sales though.

captcha: "pond life" some metaphore about tadpoles or the short lifespan of other pond dwelling creatures?

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
of course not, game away I'm 23, and have been consistently gaming since 5, I think the industry is in a bit of a state compared to years ago but that's the only way time would factor in, you find a game you like play the hell out of it, you could be 18 or 80 for all it matters

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
18-22 were the wonder years of gaming for me, helped in no small part by a student loan and loads of free time

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
I started gaming as a main hobby at 21, when my grandparents wanted to give me a $100 gift and all I can think of was my PS2. I had the Nintendo handhelds. I got it Christmas of 2009.

Considering I started at 21 with my first non-handheld console since my ancient Sega Genesis with a bloody PS2 (2009!), it can be done.

UltraPic

Dec 5, 2011
Ylla said:
I just came from the Elite:Dangerous forums and it seems like half of the backers there are around their 50s or 60s and played the original Elite. Youre never too old to enjoy videogames.
That's pretty much it, when elite was new most gamer's then were 18+ (you had to be for the disposable income needed for hardware).
Ratty said:
captcha: "pond life" some metaphore about tadpoles or the short lifespan of other pond dwelling creatures?
It's a derogatory term.

blazearmoru

Sep 26, 2010
swiglo said:
Well the title isn't entirely accurate as I started gaming at around age 4-5, but the thing is most games I've played throughout my life are fairly obscure titles and parents never bought me much games. I can say I had phases of obsession with certain video game series throughout my life. I'm 18 years old now.
At around the age 16 I also decided to take a break from video games to pursue other hobbies more (books and movies specifically). It's been over 2 years and I am just now coming back to games from said break (I've been playing an online sidescroller MMO called Transformice for a little over a year now actually but I don't really count that since it doesn't have the linear, progressive structure of the games I'm accustommed to).
I've always considered video games my main hobby even when I temporarily abandoned them, so would you say it's too late for me to treat them as such?
Video games at their core is probably a virtual simulation leading to an experience. You're in the virtual age, enjoy it.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
swiglo said:
Dude, the only time age gets in the way or should stop you from doing something, is when you let it. ;)

Absolutely not, to answer your question.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
18 too old for gaming as a main hob.. what? How? Why?! I don't even... o_O

Stop talking silly! 68 would not be too old to take up swimming as a main hobby if that's what you want. It's a hobby, not a professional career in sport or entertainment. Just fire up your game of choice and start playing! What are you waiting for? :D

The Abhorrent

May 7, 2011
Is 18 years too old to enjoy gaming?

To answer the question, here's another - How old is the average gamer?
This is where it gets interesting, as that's a fairly well-known factoid.

The average video-game player is almost 30 years old.

Last I read, it was 29 years old... but that was several years ago, it's unlikely to have dropped much (if at all) since then. The other important note is that many games in today's market are actually geared towards the "young adult" audience, in the 15-25 years old range; that's fairly synonymous with high school and post-secondary students, who actually have just the right amount of disposable income and more free time than those working full-time jobs. Of course, this doesn't mean you shouldn't disregard the games which seem targeted at younger audiences; they're quite often meant to be enjoyable for people of all ages, and are sometimes just damn good games.

In summary, 18 years old definitely isn't "too old" to get into gaming.
Quite arguably, it's the perfect age to get into the hobby.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
You're never too old.
Even if you're over 9000 millenia.
That said, prepare for college not giving you much time to do so.