Is 18 years old too old to start gaming as a main hobby?

William Fleming

Mar 6, 2011
If you enjoy it, do it! I remember seeing a video on the BBC news with women over 60 years old playing GTA IV and going on a killing spree in game like what most 14 year olds do. I unfortunately can't seem to find it anymore.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
You're never too old for anything... not even diapers!!!
Serious note, no it isn't, my dad was in his 30s when we got an NES and I would swear he played it more than I did. Granted he didn't have to go to school during the day and he worked nights, maybe thats how the sonofabitch beat Ghosts n' Goblins where I never could...

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Is 18 too old to start seriously reading and studying literature? Is 18 too old to have viewing and analyzing cinema considered a serious hobby? Is 18 too old get into music appreciation as a hobby?

If you answered no to any of those then you must inevitably say no to your own question, OP.

Simple as.

:/

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
What the fuck? No!

Dude, you can be on your deathbed/90 years old and start playing video games, no one has the right to make you not start.

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
JonnyHG said:
Is this a serious question? You're never too old to start/continue doing things you enjoy...
Depends on the thing. Like if it's boxing or you may get too old. But if you have working hands then you're golden for video games.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Gaming should be like movies or reading; there should be no stigma for being sucked into the realm of imagination later than other people. If people judge you for being late to the party, they're asshats. The people you want to associate with are the ones who don't care when you started and just want to help you find good games.

Just because its 'gamer culture' doesn't mean you have to put up with pushy jerks. Play your own way, find your own games or ask for advice but don't feel beholden to anyone who has been doing it longer.

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
Hell No! 5 years ago I introduced PC gaming to my dad who is 69 atm. He has a much better rig than me and spends hours most days playing the latest SP FPS.

I know peer pressure is very important for a 18YO but you will have a much better time leaving it at the door and focussing just on having fun, it'll make you much more open to different genres.

The average age of a core gamer in the west is 30 something, you are only just old enough to buy games with the 18 age restrictions on them.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
swiglo said:
Well the title isn't entirely accurate as I started gaming at around age 4-5, but the thing is most games I've played throughout my life are fairly obscure titles and parents never bought me much games. I can say I had phases of obsession with certain video game series throughout my life. I'm 18 years old now.
At around the age 16 I also decided to take a break from video games to pursue other hobbies more (books and movies specifically).
oh....oh dear....no...no far too old...far too old...no we must get them when theyre young, when theyre brains are mallble, no far to old to start training, missed the boat I should say, no bother, best let it go

heh no, I was 18 when I started gaming "for realsies" its kind of like asking if your too old to read books or watch movies

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
I don't see why. Games are there for enjoyment of all ages, and there's this whole "M" rating, and all which kinda implies one should be fairly old to play these games, me thinks.
there's games for all types out there. hell, some of my fondest memories were playing Nintendo golf, and Nobunaga's ambition with my dad, and he was well over 18 when we gamed together.

We need to remove the bad rep of gamers so people of all ages can game without being shunned.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
Ylla said:
I just came from the Elite:Dangerous forums and it seems like half of the backers there are around their 50s or 60s and played the original Elite. Youre never too old to enjoy videogames.
Yay, we're all oldies (says the 36 y.o.).
*There's a game for every age bracket* Don't forget this nice little golden nugget of truth!

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Jesus fucking Christ on an electric dildo! You're fucking old man! Have you got retirement funds and funeral insurance sorted out yet? I'm only six, so I still have time to play games, I don't have to worry about things like dying and my writing my will.

Yet...

Why do you think you are too old?

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
swiglo said:
Well the title isn't entirely accurate as I started gaming at around age 4-5, but the thing is most games I've played throughout my life are fairly obscure titles and parents never bought me much games. I can say I had phases of obsession with certain video game series throughout my life. I'm 18 years old now.
At around the age 16 I also decided to take a break from video games to pursue other hobbies more (books and movies specifically). It's been over 2 years and I am just now coming back to games from said break (I've been playing an online sidescroller MMO called Transformice for a little over a year now actually but I don't really count that since it doesn't have the linear, progressive structure of the games I'm accustommed to).
I've always considered video games my main hobby even when I temporarily abandoned them, so would you say it's too late for me to treat them as such?
This is gaming, not jedi training, so I'm pretty sure you can do whatever you want.

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
Racecarlock said:
swiglo said:
At around the age 16 I also decided to take a break from video games to pursue other hobbies more (books and movies specifically). It's been over 2 years and I am just now coming back to games from said break (I've been playing an online sidescroller MMO called Transformice for a little over a year now actually but I don't really count that since it doesn't have the linear, progressive structure of the games I'm accustommed to).
I've always considered video games my main hobby even when I temporarily abandoned them, so would you say it's too late for me to treat them as such?
This is gaming, not jedi training, so I'm pretty sure you can do whatever you want.
Then explain to me where my incredibly powerful telekinetic abilities come from buddy

OT: 18 isnt that old, Im 18 and i still feel like a child sometimes, its a good age for picking up new things (well any age is really)

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
I got my first gaming system when I was 16, and by the time I was 18, I owned a whopping two games! I think you're fine.

Varis

lp0 on fire
Feb 24, 2012
Nah, my dad still plays, and he didn't even have access to a computer until he was 18 or 20 years old. It's just a matter of enthusiasm.

Quoth

Aug 28, 2008
I can safely say, having been playing "computer" games for 34 years of my life, that you're never too old to be a gamer.
What does feel weird though is coming to this forum these days and knowing that the demographic is typically between 18 to 24.

TheIceQueen

Sep 15, 2013
Zhukov said:
Eighteen?

God no, you're way too old.

You're practically 20, and that's pretty close to being 30, which is just one digit off being 40, and that's about the time you have to start worrying about dying of old age.

Nah, sorry mate, I'm afraid you've missed out. You won't have developed the steely finger tendons and advanced muscle memory that you need to be a real gamer. You need to start that shit real young, like 8 months at the oldest.

As far as you're concerned, the gaming train has well and truly left the station.
8 months? That's laughably old. Ridiculously so. You need to be gaming while in the womb, man; you're just not a real gamer otherwise. You need to be born playing. That's part of the life. This isn't something you can choose; it's something you are born! Literally, born doing! Anything else is clearly just a fake casual.

But no, seriously, you're never too old to pick up any hobby and 18 isn't even old. You're still a kid, in my eyes.