Is a PS3 worth it?

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Frozengale said:
So Escapist, should I get a PS3, or should I just stick with what I got.
Get the PS3. I love mine.

Um... yeah, not much more to say than that. Really great system, it will do a great job of supplementing what you already have.

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
I'm thinking about it. The main games I'm interested in are the various jRPGs like Hyperdimension Neptunia, and White Knight Chronicles. That, and the PSN for PS1 games (although I have a PSP, just need a bigger card.) and as a Blu-Ray Player. I have a PSN account, is the Welcome Back program still going?

Just as a note, I have a Wii, 360, and a gaming PC.

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
crystalpyramid said:
-Dragmire- said:
I'm sure after a while you'd find other exclusives you're interested in. Also if you have an HDTV and no blueray player yet, there's that bonus as well. Honestly, I'd suggest looking into gamefaqs or a similar site under the PS3 section and look up games from your favorite genre. Check the reviews and if your still interested look for trailers for that game. If you expand your "do want" list a bit more, I'm sure it'll be worth the investment for you.
Indeed, what -Dragmire- said. I'm not completely up on exactly what an X-Box 360 can do, but i use my PS3 as more of a media centre than a dedicated gaming device. Currently mine has about 1.2Tb of HDDs attached to and they're filled with primarily videos for easy watching. I hate to say it, but the list of PS3 exclusives isn't that long, although there are some hidden gems on the PSStore such as Flower and Pain.
To be honest though, if you've already got a 360 and a Wii i'd think long and hard about it, i mean, do you really need one?
Well technically I only have access to an Xbox 360. Once I head out on my own and leave my family behind I will only have a Wii and PS2.

LordMithril

Jul 10, 2010
I would get it. The PS3 only games like Uncharted, Demon Souls, Infamous and Wipeout are worth it. Besides, it is the best media extender by far. Just run PS3MediaServer on your pc and you're on.

For the record, own a PS3, XB360 and a kick ass gaming pc.

Scout Tactical

Jun 23, 2010
I suppose the PS3 is an alright Blu Ray player, but I would recommend getting a gaming console, personally.

dagens24

Mar 20, 2004
If you don't have a blu-ray player then yes 100%. If you do, then there's less reason to be excited. Although shame on your for not including Uncharted 1/2 in that list.

LockeDown

Sep 27, 2009
I've had both a PS3 and a 360 for quite awhile now, and I've been spending much more time on my PS3 than my 360. I like the community better, and I've found the exclusive titles that Sony's managed to nab have been more entertaining on the whole than those that Microsoft has wrangled.

It does help that I fell in with a great bunch of guys from the Demon's Souls Wiki community, and MAG, but it's been my experience that the community is (for the most part) more tolerable than the one on XBL.

Garret866

Aug 17, 2011
Xbox - online shooters and the like, much better in my opinion
ps3 - awesome single player games like metal gear solid or Heavy rain
so if you enjoy these ps3 exclusive single player games then by all means i recommend it with all the bonuses of blu ray and stuff.
but i found killzone and mag to be not so great in comparison to pc and 360 games like halo

Scoffy89

Jan 12, 2011
I'm actually in the same situation. Though another reason I want it is for the older games like crash bandicoot and syphon filter (does anyone remember that?). Anyways at a price like that you may aswell because it does seem to be quite an offer. Also as someone said already next gen may be around the corner but I say it'll be at least two years before that so if it seems worthwhile for that long that why not. Especially if you have the money lying around and can't find/don't want anything else and would get satisfaction from a ps3.

moosek

Nov 5, 2009
I say yeah. I'll pick up the Infamous 2 bundle when I have the money (in about three months, because I'm so in the red I've forgotten what other colors look like).

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
I've got both and I rarely turn on my 360. Only problem with having both is knowing which format to get multi-platform games on. It's not usually a problem but sometimes it can be a big issue. Like Bayonetta for instance, which was really badly done for PS3. But that was the exception rather than the rule.

Ooooh a spinny button, what does it do?!

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
Tallim said:
I've got both and I rarely turn on my 360. Only problem with having both is knowing which format to get multi-platform games on. It's not usually a problem but sometimes it can be a big issue. Like Bayonetta for instance, which was really badly done for PS3. But that was the exception rather than the rule.

They did put out a patch to fix the ps3 version of Bayonetta from what I hear, though.

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
moosek said:
I say yeah. I'll pick up the Infamous 2 bundle when I have the money (in about three months, because I'm so in the red I've forgotten what other colors look like).
I'm not sure... the color might be Cyan?

And actually I think I have been convinced to get one. I only have access to the Xbox 360 for a few more months, and after looking it over the PS3 has more exclusives that I want. Now I just need to save up some money and hope that the Infamous 2 Bundle deal lasts for a few more months.

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
Frozengale said:
moosek said:
I'm not sure... the color might be Cyan?

And actually I think I have been convinced to get one. I only have access to the Xbox 360 for a few more months, and after looking it over the PS3 has more exclusives that I want. Now I just need to save up some money and hope that the Infamous 2 Bundle deal lasts for a few more months.
I'm thinking it's a permanent thing.

tgchan

Nov 12, 2010
bought one like 2 months ago. If you like games and don't wanna spend 121212$ on gaming get one.

I've never regret buying it and the best thing is I don't have to worry about requeirements.

Playing on console it just much more fun than on pc imo

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
kyosai7 said:
Tallim said:

They did put out a patch to fix the ps3 version of Bayonetta from what I hear, though.
That's good then. I got it on 360 because of said issues. Vanquish was the other way around but no way near as bad. But they did that in house rather than palming it off to someone outside the development studio.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
Cridhe said:
Tanakh said:
I would save for a gaming PC
*facepalm*

Some people are not, and will never be PC gamers. Some of us enjoy plug-and-play with no complications. Some of us enjoy the feel of a controller in our hands and if you actually read what the OP had said before sputtering "my god is holier than yours" garbage, he's clearly a console gamer.
Fine, fine, but Steam is plug and play and i do play with a 360 controller my SF IV and Super Meat Boy.

And clearly PC would open up 15-20 times more content for him than a PS3, for... 2-3 times the price? Sounds like his best choice tbh.

I myself need a 360, but don't have time to play more, and are saving to go and fly around the world anyway.