Is anyone continuing to use Facebook?

throwmetothewolves

Apr 13, 2018
I guess we've all sort of thought that Facebook is using our data for means that we didn't want, and they were reading our messages, but now that it's official...it's really awful. I haven't deleted my account yet, but considering it. Thing is, there isn't anything as useful or large as Facebook. did anyone delete their account?

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
I held out against it for the longest time.
The thing was that my paternal grandfather, and definitely my paternal great grandfather (quite a mouthful, against the Swedish Gammelfarfar "elder-father-father") are from a place 50 miles north of here. Though my paternal grandmother is from 50-ish miles south of here, all their children moved back north. My father as well, though lastly.
The only real way to stay in easy contact was through facebook, which they frequently use themselves on their ipads and iphones (ugh, brr).

After that I only logged in for a few minutes a day to see if anything family related had transpired.
After 2014 it became more..political. Started following a lot of happenings.

Then another relative moved away. 50 miles south this time.

And now I'm in two hobby-groups. One for finding and identifying mushrooms, the other for finding and collecting coins.

Those few minutes turned into an hour a day all too easy.

There are alternatives, like VK.com and Minds.com but the major problem is getting people to migrate, or join other such sites as well.

Oh yes. The personal integrity and data collection thing.
All too few think of it. I only put out things I feel comfortable sharing with everyone.
No address,no phone number, etc.
Only first and last name on facebook and one photo. No more.
I use several different aliases/handles throughout the internet.
Another big thing is the password. A lot of people use the same one everywhere (together with name).
That is a disaster. I use different ones on each. One part personal, one part related, no part word.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
I still have a Facebook account, but I can't even remember the last time I posted anything myself and I was never very active to begin with. As for personal data, there's nothing in there you couldn't easily find out some other way. Just my name and birthday, and the email I used to sign up (which is now defunct).

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
It's useful. University events and different student groups are neatly ordered. Nowadays rarely just browse my Facebook wall, because of the learning algorithms showing me the same stuff all the time. Anyway, the EU data protection legislation is coming into effect on the 25th of May. FB will have to update the data management tools for each user. We'll see what really changes.

EDIT: I've never used Messenger or the Facebook mobile app, and with the recent news I'm glad I haven't.

Vendor-Lazarus said:
my paternal great grandfather
Hmm, you were born in 1985. So that makes him... kinda old. I think I know the guy.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I haven't been paying attention to the news. So it's official that they're doing that eh? I actually don't touch my Facebook that often. I'm kinda scared of what I'll find if I go there between CBC news which I somehow ended up following and some of the political crap my friends post.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
To this day, I never had and I never will make a Facebook account.

I was a hipster back in the day thinking Facebook is dumb, we have Cell-phones for communication, so why need facebook and twitter?

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
I also told Facebook to screw off a long time ago. Twitter even moreso. Forums are the superior social networking tool for me.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
"Continuing to use"? The question is wrong.
I never used it in the first place.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Yes? What do I care? Not like I put anything I expect to be private on a social network.

Spying on chat is a bit more concerning, but even without any data sharing it's not like end to end encryption was ever advertised as a feature (right?), so the same reasoning applies. At the very least, the assumption was always that your "private" conversations were subject to Facebook's internal perusal.

Facebook is a tool, use your tools with discretion and use the right tool for the job.

Ogoid

Nov 5, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
To this day, I never had and I never will make a Facebook account.
Ditto.

Never saw any reason to use it before, now I'm glad I didn't.

Jan 27, 2011
I find it too useful for keeping up with friends, plus events.

That and the LARPs I join typically organize over facebook, so if I want information about what's going on, or getting some sweet "downtime" action, I kinda need to be on it.

So I'm kinda stuck. :s

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Jadak said:
Yes? What do I care? Not like I put anything I expect to be private on a social network.

Spying on chat is a bit more concerning, but even without any data sharing it's not like end to end encryption was ever advertised as a feature (right?), so the same reasoning applies. At the very least, the assumption was always that your "private" conversations were subject to Facebook's internal perusal.

Facebook is a tool, use your tools with discretion and use the right tool for the job.
Part of the problem is the Facebook app on the phone listens in to phone-calls, emails and texts, even outside of Facebook. You use What'sApp for messaging, Facebook is taking a copy of those messages. You place a call, Facebook is logging to whom and for how long. You send an email, Facebook makes a copy.
Hell it came out Facebook was tracking people who didn't even have a Facebook through phone apps!

As for myself I deleted my Facebook account back in '06 after an argument with my then girlfriend who wanted my password so she could change whatever she wanted, delete photos and unfriend people she didn't like, all on my behalf, to make us a better couple. It was either her or Facebook, so I choose neither and haven't looked back since. And with the current news, I don't feel bad about it.

Sonmi

Renowned Latin Lover
Jan 30, 2009
I use it to send messages and videos to my gf, friends, and family.

I don't make actual posts though.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Never used it once. I always new that it would become a worse version of MySpace. At this point, Facebook is about to be as dead as MySpace.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
RiseOfTheWhiteWolf said:
Silentpony said:
Part of the problem is the Facebook app on the phone listens in to phone-calls, emails and texts, even outside of Facebook. You use What'sApp for messaging, Facebook is taking a copy of those messages. You place a call, Facebook is logging to whom and for how long. You send an email, Facebook makes a copy.
Hell it came out Facebook was tracking people who didn't even have a Facebook through phone apps!
Wow, wow, wow, wait, what?

I was kinda like yeah whatever about this entire thing, rip to the ladies who sent nudes over messenger I guess but I don't sent dick pics so I'm good. But that last sentence is fucked up. Someone needs to go behind bars for that. Tracked without installing the app? Now how does that work?
The way it worked was the Facebook app comes pre-installed on phones, and cannot be uninstalled. And even without activating the app, without logging into Facebook through the app or creating a Facebook using the app, the app was already tracking phone usage.
So lets say you get a new iPhone. The facebook app goes 'Oh hey, Riseofthewhitewolf's new iPhone is on! Lets just see what he's doing and send his contacts back to facebook. He thinks that if he never uses me I can't track him, teehee'

It was very very insidious and Facebook still hasn't answered how it was legal and how its not stealing private data.

Wakey87

Sep 20, 2011
I deactivated my account before this even happened.
The place is just filled with narcissists, showboaters and political activists who think they are morally superior. It's just turned into one big circle jerk where your either in the clique or youv tuned them out or unfollowed anyway.
Besides I don't want to see your baby, food or your legs on some random beach thanks, I'm good.