Is anyone else a bit bored of Jimquisition?

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
But yeah, I agree that Jim has managed to become so polarising that he doesn't even need to say anything to make people upset. It's a baffling phenomenon to me.
Not so baffling to me, considering the condescending persona he build for himself in his videos, some are bound to take it as an attack against themselves

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
Love the guy. Always informative although I do agree he could do with having a few more silly drawings and laughs in his vids.

Also too many action figures now. It used to be just him and Willem Dafoe now its all sorts of stuff, cool stuff like aliens and psycho mantis but just too much stuff on his desk.

PlayerDos

Nov 10, 2013
I think Jimquisition has become terrible since it left.

All he does is play shitty games and then go *SERIOUSLY... FUCKING SERIOUSLY???? WOW.... THAT'S GREAT.. SERIOUSLY???? I PAID MONEY FOR THIS?? SERIUOSLY??????*

Now to be fair, I have only watched three episodes since he left, but they were all that and I got over it really fucking quickly.

DaViller

Sep 3, 2013
I found his sonic episode to be pretty good and I had a good laugh with the dragon age one, His podcasts are ok as well, but I wish they had some sort of weekly guests or something.

PlayerDos

Nov 10, 2013
Zachary Amaranth said:
I notice a pattern that people seem to stop enjoying Jim when he starts talking about something on a side they don't personally support.
I notice a pattern of people saying this when someone gets criticized for doing and saying stupid shit.

Silence

Living undeath to the fullest
Legacy
Sep 21, 2014
Country
Germany
I still watch Jimquisition from time to time. I never really watched him for consumer activism (because he did achieve nothing) but he is basically "random angry internet dude #1286", but with a little twist and good video editing.
So it is entertainment, nothing else.

What character his person is doesn't matter that much in most cases. It's the same with MovieBob, he is a terrible person, but I still appreciate his notes about comic culture.

Jim seems to be the typical "I need to be radical"-person, that means, it doesn't matter what he believes, it has to be on a kind of zealot thing. Real eye opener were his tweets from back 2010/11 (I think) where he actually insulted someone as "feminazi slut", something most people would not even do.

BonusChild

Dec 16, 2014
the silence said:
I still watch Jimquisition from time to time. I never really watched him for consumer activism (because he did achieve nothing) but he is basically "random angry internet dude #1286", but with a little twist and good video editing.

What character his person is doesn't matter that much in most cases. It's the same with MovieBob, he is a terrible person, but I still appreciate his notes about comic culture.

Jim seems to be the typical "I need to be radical"-person, that means, it doesn't matter what he believes, it has to be on a kind of zealot thing. Real eye opener were his tweets from back 2010/11 (I think) where he actually insulted someone as "feminazi slut", something most people would not even do.

Sorry I don't mean to go off topic, what do you mean when you say MovieBob is a terrible person? I don't watch him very much but he seemed ok to me. I'm not arguing, just wondering.

Sanderpower

Jun 26, 2014
the silence said:

First off, people who posted those Tweets usually posted them severely out of context and doesn't even show what Jim said after he said those words.

I'm just going to post you the link that gives you the fully story.
http://www.destructoid.com/blogs/Nathsies/feminazi-sluts-193287.phtml

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
I still enjoy the Jimquisition but I feel an inherent problem with his increasing pro consumer stick is that he has to keep repeating himself because people expect him to rail against publishers. I think i'm in the minority on this but I feel Jim actually pays to much attention to consumer issue's. The episodes I found most interesting were the ones that focused focused on gaming itself like ''crying through the laugh's'' were he contrast the use of tragedy in different video games. I liked Jim's recent episode about Sonic and Squire's batman so much because I feel it was in that spirit. He may have called Sega and Squire idiots but the main theme of the episode was explaining the gaming related problem's plaguing Sonic and FF rather then a rant towards their publishers.

There's only so many time you can focus on EA and Ubisoft before it becomes stale. EA deserved all criticism for selling a broken Simcity and Ubisoft for releasing Unity in the state that it did but did we really need a full episode on Ubifsoft poorly wording why they did not have female characters?

Unless a publisher makes a colossal mistake I think Jim has already said all there is to say on the matter of publishers being dicks.

I don't mind ''social'' issue's coming up but I do advocate some moderation. I think last weeks Jimquisition came off a little tired because he just repeated the format of the ''fake gamer guys'' episode with less competence and on a less noteworthy issue. I don't see the romance options dominating opinions on dragon age and the fact some people are homophobic is unfortunate but really not that surprising.

I'm not bored....yet but I do think its in Jim's best interest if he diversified his show a bit. Give the publishers a break, don't jump on every social issue in sight and delve a bit deeper into certain games or themes. Its not like Jim would run out of themes for that. He could go into detail about why he loves Dynasty warriors and FF 9 so much, He could examine Silent hill to tell us what makes a good horror game rather then complaining publishers just don't get it or he could just mention a recent game he found to be special.

I think I kind of frown on people ditching Jim purely because of gamergate. Gamergaters could be in the right but their word is not the only one in this world and not supporting gamergate shouldn't be forbidden for any personality, especially not if that opposition really only came to be because gaters FORCED a choice on him.
I suppose comments like ''Feminist disagree sometimes but don't say they'l go to each others house to do a murder'' or ''I may look like a villain but its really just about ethics in games'' would be a bit grating to Gamergaters but are they really so bad?
I haven't seen Jim claiming Gamergaters are terrible people who deserves all the bad things that happen to them like Moviebob does. As long as he doesn't do that I don't understand why people can't take an ''agree to disagree'' stance on the matter. Jim has his bias but its not like he's particular extreme in the matter.

Guy from the 80's

Mar 7, 2012
endtherapture said:
Is anyone else a bit bored of Jimquisition?

Yes.

When I first started watching Jim Sterling I didnt like him, but it didnt take long before I loved him. He put his finger(s) on stuff that deserved fingers to be placed.

However, his take on GG showed his inconsistency and he became just another journalist to ignore.
Basically he seemed like someone who didnt dare to speak his mind, someone who wanted to go with the flow, and thats pretty much the oposite of the image he created for himself.

Anyone can attack Ubisoft, but it takes a man (or woman) to stand up to the establishment. "Jim ****** Sterling son" failed the test.

sonofliber

Mar 8, 2010
Yes, i didnt like to begin with in dtoid (a lot of his reviews were click bait), when the his show started i watch it, but the jokes about superiority and childish attitude bored me fast (and the attacks against giant corporation who dont give a ****, or small indies with barely any defense power)

Corran006

May 20, 2009
DizzyChuggernaut said:
He seems to have relegated his comedy to his let's play videos. I still enjoy Jim Sterling's stuff though the guy can be a bit of a dick.

I do agree that his Gamergate-related videos have been very condescending but to be honest, his condescension pales in comparison to what others have been doing. At least he isn't advocating that people get dox...

ohh... oh shit.[footnote]Yes I know I'm exaggerating, the guy probably doesn't legitimately want personal details circulated but he's had a few instances of treating certain consumers like a problem to be solved rather than actual people[/footnote]

Well... he doesn't want a second Holocaust so that's at least something.

EDIT: The clip makes Sessler look like more of a douchebag than he is, the context of the doxxing advocacy is hate speech not "let's dox whoever disagrees with us". Let's not delve into Gamergate sensationalism right now.
I find Movie Bob can be way more of a Dick then Jim Sterling, but to be fair bob has good parts and moments to him and I believe IMO he has been way more condescending with GG then JIM has ever been.

I agree JIm might have got a bit less fun but perhaps that's due to the fact as you said its just how the news is going this year.

Lastly, to give credit where credit is do I think Movie Bob has been getting better and its wrong to say he's a bad guy and I respect his work.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I still really enjoy his work but I'm less excited about new episodes these days. I get the same way with pretty much every other internet show. Zero Punctuation got stale like two years ago, as well as every contributer on TGWTG. I imagine he'll change things up eventually, but he probably won't until he notices a real dip in views.

AngryPuppy

Feb 18, 2010
Johnny Novgorod said:
I never liked him or his videos. He has my sympathies for pulling that Jerry Maguire stunt last month, but that's it. I can't stand his face or his voice or the way he writes. So I just ignore him.
I came here to say almost the exact same thing so, kudos.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
After he left Escapist I checked out his YouTube channel and am currently subscribed but I'll be honest, only the Jimquisition videos are interesting but they are getting stale too.

JohnFei

Sep 25, 2014
I see him around for a long time but never felt the need to watch his stuff that often. Everything that I've heard about him has been negative. His gendered slurs, his picking on some small indie nobody (who is a twat, sure, but it's still hitting down), his endless sycophantic critique against obvious targets like Ubisoft, and later his defense of ME3 and embracing the Gamers Entitled narrative. As for his videos themselves, they feel preachy, arrogant and boring.

To his credit, he was quite coy with the GG stuff (on video at least) but it doesn't take a genius to see his hypocrisy.

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
I still enjoy Jim's stuff though admittedly I don't think it's been as good since he left the escapist.

Bizzaro Stormy

Oct 19, 2011
So I'm curious. The Jimquisition is now independent and plugging along on its own. Yet it is still being advertised on the bottom of the very page I'm typing on. It's not upsetting, just confusing. Isn't it advertising for someone else's website at this point?