Is Cheerleading a sport?

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
If you compete, sure.

Otherwise? Well. I mean... Kinda sorta, but, not really.

I kinda think of it like dancing.

Sure, dancing is basically a sport if you're competing against people.

But, dancing alone in your bedroom? Not particularly.

Similarly, I don't really think you can call something a "Game" unless you compete against something. Be it the game itself putting stuff in your way, or you know, other players.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
If we're fighting to have video games recognized as E-sports, then you better well believe that cheer leading is a sport.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
JoJo said:
I'd say it's more of a dance, you wouldn't call ballet a sport.
Is figure skating a sport? Because its pretty similar to ballet, but....on skates, and its an Olympic sport.

But really though, this has left me in such a twist. Having never put thought into it, I wouldn't have called ballet a sport. But putting any thought into I immediately come to the conclusion that its a highly skilled, physically demanding, specific skillset. With intense competition for placement and recognition, at which point large crowds pay a bunch of money to gather and watch the skill demonstrated.

In a logical sense, ballet seems very much a sport, with the actual productions more of an exhibition match by the champions, the real competition having gone on behind closed doors.

Cheerleading I see as a bit more divisive. It both is and isn't a sport, based on the idea its practiced at varying levels. In some places its an ultra athletic dance and gymnastics routine, and totally a sport. In other places, its a social thing with some kids wearing uniforms and waving pom poms while cheering for their school/team.

J.McMillen

Sep 11, 2008
Thaluikhain said:
Personally, I think a requirement of a sport is that you should be able to read the rules and determine the winner objectively, without the need for a judge. The purpose of a judge/umpire/referee is to ensure that the rules are followed.

For example, as long as you can see who came first in a race, you can see who won. As long as you can count how many times a ball went this way or that, you can see who won a ball game.

This would disqualify most gymnastic events because they require a panel of judges.
The judging in gymnastics is to make sure that the athlete properly performs a particular element in their routine. Every element in their routine has a point value and it's up to the judges to award points if the athlete is successful and to penalize them for mistakes. All the points are codified so that judging is pretty consistent and if there is a score that's way out of line it can be reviewed for mistakes.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
bastardofmelbourne said:
The more I think about it, the dumber cheerleading seems as an activity. I mean, I'm looking at it from over the Pacific so maybe it's just distance. But why the fuck do you guys even do it?

If it's about showing off, you've got dance class. If it's about the athletic competition, you can go do gymnastics, which is probably safer and more prestigious.

But for some reason you get two dozen girls together, put them in short skirts, and use them as half-time entertainment for your dumb-as-shit version of football.
In short: Cheerleading is way flashier and more interesting than dance class (them throws!) and more fun than gymnastics (them teammates!).

It's the pop music of this sort of thing, where dance class is rock music and gymnastics is classical.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
I consider cheerleading a type of dancing, which i personally do not consider a sport.

Sonicron said:
Seriously? How can you look at the choreographically fine-tuned, obviously physically strenuous activity of cheerleaders in action and say to yourself, "You know, I have my doubts about whether or not this is a sport"...?
Is ballet a sport? Is Opera a sport? They fit your definition very well.

Phasmal said:
That gif is wrong on so many levels....

If your pretending to be angry at least try to swing towards the person, not above her.

Saltyk said:
Solely for the fact that girls get hurt, sometimes severely, it should be considered a sport. The fact is that by not considering it a sport, it makes it that much more dangerous to the girls performing these stunts. More high school students are maimed in cheer-leading accidents than all other high sports combined (though, I don't know if concussions count in those numbers).
So if people get hurt its a sport? One of the primary cause of injuries are car accidents. commuting to work is a sport!

Also how does not considering it a sport makes it more dangerous? is there some magic spells that makes things considered sport automatically more safe?

Odbarc said:
I believe if you call cheerleading a sport they have to abide by a more stringent set of rules and the excessive amounts of injuries sustained by them would pile up and require them to wear protective gear instead of uniforms and a bunch of other regulations that would destroy cheerleading as we know it.
I saw a documentary on it by someone. One kid attempted a flip and landed on her neck and became paralyzed. Everyone has broken or sprained something to the point where they could trade stories and no one doesn't have one. Also the adults show little concern for the people involved and when someone does get seriously injured it takes them a few minutes to even get up to check up on them and even then they try to pass it off as not as serious as it appears.

What it should be is banned.
I mean if you want it banned then you should support calling it a sport because you think it woudl destroy it so thats even better than banning, right?

axlryder said:
Yes, it's a sport. You compete in a team over some kind of physical display of ability and are scored on the results by a panel of judges.
that does not make it a sport. A sport requires a set of rules, scoring system and objective measure to victory. Panel of judges is not an objective measure. This makes cheer-leading a competition, but not a sport.

Sceadu said:
More injuries than football? It's a physical activity, it's a team activity, and it's competitive?

Ok, so it's a sport.
none of those are qualifiers for sport.

Sniper Team 4 said:
If we're fighting to have video games recognized as E-sports, then you better well believe that cheer leading is a sport.
This is a non-sequitur. E-sports being a sport has nothing to do with cheeleading being a sports. In fact E-sports have a clear set of rules scoring system and objective measure of victory. So its way ahead of cheerleading as far as qualifying as a sport.

-----------------------

P.S. so people are now offended by the word "Females"?

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Strazdas said:
Only if they're not female. It's an official and defining term, not slang or derogatory in nature.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
FalloutJack said:
Strazdas said:
Only if they're not female. It's an official and defining term, not slang or derogatory in nature.
And yet in this thread we have multiple people mocking OP for using it as if he called them "niggers" or something like that.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Strazdas said:
I consider cheerleading a type of dancing, which i personally do not consider a sport.

Sonicron said:
Seriously? How can you look at the choreographically fine-tuned, obviously physically strenuous activity of cheerleaders in action and say to yourself, "You know, I have my doubts about whether or not this is a sport"...?
Our fundamental disagreement's right there in your first sentence. I agree with your categorization of cheerleading as a type of dancing, but I absolutely do consider dancing a sport, as I'm pretty sure most people do who know how strenuous dancing (especially competitive dancing) can be. Hell, here in Germany there's a piece of vocabulary that calls it "Tanzsport", signifiying dancing (i.e. proper forms you have to learn and practice) as an official sport.
As for your question, I'm not sure about opera, as it depends on which part of opera you mean - the choreography or the singing. Both are physically strenuous, but the choreography should be, in some cases, considered sport. And ballet? For sure. A crossbreed between dance and gymnastics, and definitely a sport.
Bear in mind, that's my opinion. Everyone's free to their own.

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
Strazdas said:
FalloutJack said:
Strazdas said:
And yet in this thread we have multiple people mocking OP for using it as if he called them "niggers" or something like that.
Well, I would have to say that that's their problem. I see no implication there.

Sonicron said:
It's a performance art. Ask a serious ballet dancer. (No, I'm not one.) They would not find it pleasing to have their work compared to sport. Yes, they are physical activities which require skill, but I would say the commonality really ends there.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
FalloutJack said:
Sonicron said:
It's a performance art. Ask a serious ballet dancer. (No, I'm not one.) They would not find it pleasing to have their work compared to sport. Yes, they are physical activities which require skill, but I would say the commonality really ends there.
But I did once ask a serious ballet dancer, a friend of mine, actually. Golden solution for both of us here? She classified it as both. The art component is obviously there, but she also stressed the competitive element of ballet, especially in the 'big leagues'. Make of that what you will, I'd say we're both right, as in your assessment complements mine.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
Sonicron said:
Strazdas said:

Sonicron said:
Our fundamental disagreement's right there in your first sentence. I agree with your categorization of cheerleading as a type of dancing, but I absolutely do consider dancing a sport, as I'm pretty sure most people do who know how strenuous dancing (especially competitive dancing) can be. Hell, here in Germany there's a piece of vocabulary that calls it "Tanzsport", signifiying dancing (i.e. proper forms you have to learn and practice) as an official sport.
As for your question, I'm not sure about opera, as it depends on which part of opera you mean - the choreography or the singing. Both are physically strenuous, but the choreography should be, in some cases, considered sport. And ballet? For sure. A crossbreed between dance and gymnastics, and definitely a sport.
Bear in mind, that's my opinion. Everyone's free to their own.
Being strenuous is not a measure of a sport. Digging ditches is strenuous work.

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
Sonicron said:
FalloutJack said:
Sonicron said:
But I did once ask a serious ballet dancer, a friend of mine, actually. Golden solution for both of us here? She classified it as both. The art component is obviously there, but she also stressed the competitive element of ballet, especially in the 'big leagues'. Make of that what you will, I'd say we're both right, as in your assessment complements mine.
Huh... Your Milege May Vary? Perhaps. However, that doesn't let cheerleading off the hook. Many people take it far too seriously where it is not deserved. At least ballet and other performances have some importance to them, a real art. I wouldn't agree to the same feeling in cheerleading.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Strazdas said:
Being strenuous is not a measure of a sport. Digging ditches is strenuous work.
While that is true on its face, I think we both know that's a strawman. Please don't ignore the context of my argument for the sake of being argumentative.

FalloutJack said:
Huh... Your Milege May Vary? Perhaps. However, that doesn't let cheerleading off the hook. Many people take it far too seriously where it is not deserved. At least ballet and other performances have some importance to them, a real art. I wouldn't agree to the same feeling in cheerleading.
Well, that still doesn't cancel out the sports aspect of it, at least from my viewpoint. Millions of people take sports - whatever the particular sport - faaaaaaar too seriously, be they enthusiasts or the athletes themselves. And the perceived importance is, again, just a matter of personal opinion. Cheerleading and ballet just have (mostly) different target audiences, that's all, and both have their own ideas about the worth/value of particular activities. (That said, your viewpoint is more in line with the common consensus on 'culture', i.e. more cultivated activities.)

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
Sonicron said:
Well, I don't SEE the sport aspect of it. It's the sidebar to an actual sport, in fact created as a morale boost, if nothing else. I cannot put it in the same category.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
FalloutJack said:
Sonicron said:
Well, I don't SEE the sport aspect of it. It's the sidebar to an actual sport, in fact created as a morale boost, if nothing else. I cannot put it in the same category.
That's another way of seeing it, I guess. Maybe you could judge it as a sporty activity, rather than a sport? Something that requires a high degree of physical fitness and partially includes elements/aspects of sports? I don't know.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
Sonicron said:
While that is true on its face, I think we both know that's a strawman. Please don't ignore the context of my argument for the sake of being argumentative.
No strawman here. Being a strenuous activity is not a measure of whether something is a sport or not.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Strazdas said:
Sonicron said:
No strawman here. Being a strenuous activity is not a measure of whether something is a sport or not.
Yes, many things that are not sports are physically strenuous. Nobody is disputing that. However, bringing up things that are obviously not sports in a discussion about the finer points in separating sports from non-sports is far from helpful.

It's ultimately a matter of opinion, I guess. Please refer to my exchange with FalloutJack, I don't think I have the thoughts or the time to go into this any further. (Damn research papers. -__- )

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
Sonicron said:
Strazdas said:
Sonicron said:
Yes, many things that are not sports are physically strenuous. Nobody is disputing that. However, bringing up things that are obviously not sports in a discussion about the finer points in separating sports from non-sports is far from helpful.

It's ultimately a matter of opinion, I guess. Please refer to my exchange with FalloutJack, I don't think I have the thoughts or the time to go into this any further. (Damn research papers. -__- )
I brought up the example to show you that not all strenous activities are sports so you may easier understand that being sternous is not a measure of something being a sport or not. It appears that after 3 replies you still think that something being sternous is a way to measure whether it is a sport or not. Why?