Is difficulty a serious problem for you in games?

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Generally, no. I used to play games on easy, now I do it on whatever is the closest thing to the intended difficulty before seeing if I want to explore harder ones. The closest off the top of my head a game got to defeating me was some Ninja Gaiden game or other, Black maybe, the Alma boss fight. I couldn't beat it, took a break for a few months, when I came back to it I finally managed it. But I wouldn't turn down the difficulty because the game was so obnoxious about it.

white_wolf

Aug 23, 2013
Quazimofo said:
white_wolf said:
I can relate to the whole my file got deleted and haven't replayed the said game. I was ONE mission away from completing Red Dead Redemption and my file got deleted! I saw the ending from my sister who finished it just after me so that took a little wind out of my sails for completing it as I just got the end spoiled for me. I do eventually intend to get back to the game because it was very good but I'm still playing the games I have now so its on a waiting list.

Personally I'm getting very sick and tired of this whole accessibility band wagon combined with already simplified concepts, goals, or stories, and worlds I've got ideas for games but no tech skills for the programs, I can write the narrative scripts but I failed miserably at 3D animation software and flash so I don't think I'll ever be able to get my things made.
Focus on your writing skills and you just might. Games still need writers. Get good and impress someone in the industry and you might find your worlds come to life regardless of your programming illiteracy!
It's something to strive for at least. Maybe give NaNoWriMo a go next year and see if you're already at the level of whole, fleshed out, stories.
I've never heard of that, I'll look into it, thanks!

duwenbasden

King of the Celery people
Jan 18, 2012
The only time is when a user-made quest in New Vegas / Skyrim didn't account for my difficulty tweaks. So basically my enemy will one shot my avatar whilst being able to tank a direct hit from a nuke.

Also, I am not fighting any boss with more than 4 digits in HP. It's less the difficulty and more "ugh do I want to waste 30 min of my playtime faffing about with this boss?"

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
Unless im playing on the highest difficulty most games dont give me a massive amount of trouble these days, with the exceptions being Dark/Demons Souls , and God of War 3 on Titan difficulty.

However in my defense for God of War 3 giving me trouble was that is that I find it has a few issues, like the dodge roll being somewhat clunky due to being allocated to the right thumbstick, and the fixed camera angles with shit that pops up in the foreground. Weapons that have too many effects coming off them so sometimes its hard to see if enemies are about to attack you. And a few bossfights just fucking drag, ie the last fight with Zeus, holy shit that fight goes on for fucking ever, and he can kill you in a few seconds if you slip up. That and i didnt realize how effective blocking was until the last hour and a half of the game so most of the game was trying to parry and dodge roll

Dyan

Nov 27, 2009
Used to have a problem with it yeah. I just generally sucked at games a few years back. Nowadays though if I stick to normal difficulty then there aren't any real problems.

Still the one game I just can't play is Dark Souls. It's not the game's fault, but I just suck at games like it, so I just ended up ragequitting every time I tried playing it.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Difficulty is only really a problem if, for example in Dark Souls, I don't care enough to want to win to deal with extra hard enemies. Given the minimalist storytelling of the game, I find it hard to immerse myself enough to want to win, and the sudden dump of difficulty really doesn't do it any favours. For the same reason, I hate games that are too easy. If I'm killing everything with no trouble at all, such as the Faelands in Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, which has more sidequests than it has difficult enemies. If, like me, you have to complete all the sidequests before you're okay with leaving, you'll find that about halfway through, all of the enemies you're sent to fight simply keel over if you stare at them too hard, and so they'll become a chore.

It makes up for it though, to its credit, by throwing totally random hard enemies at me, who'll halve my health as a warning shot.

Those get me going.

Not Gabe Newell

Jul 14, 2013
It depends on what kind of difficulty.

Personally, I like the difficulty where if I lose or fail, it's completely my fault. Not the fault of buggy AI, game-breaking glitches, artificial difficulty, or sudden changing of the rules or mechanics.

Demon/Dark Souls and VVVVVV are good examples of this kind of difficulty.

fezgod

Dec 7, 2012
It depends. If a game is a brutal grindfest on a high difficulty, I'll usually play on a lower one. But if a game is still fun despite it being extremely difficult, then I'll still power through it.

Max Payne 3 is probably my favorite example of how a developer should make a difficult game. Yes, some parts can be hard, but if you can beat the game without resorting to cheating or using exploits.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
It depends how the difficulty is done.

For me, La-Mulana is the go-to example about how a game should not be made. The game is not difficult, it's frustrating. There is no challenge in trying endless combinations of puzzles and doing the same tasks, "getting lucky" should not be the final strategy that one has to use in order to progress in a game.

Even the most diehard lovers of Dark Souls (myself included) agree that the Bed of Chaos is a bullshit fight, because it doesn't rely on the player being skillful.

Scootinfroodie

Dec 23, 2013
My main issue is finding the right kind of difficulty. Often the solution in games is to just crank up the health or damage of an enemy to some obscene extent (looking at you, Skyrim. Draugr Deathlords and Dragon Priests 1-shotting my broken minmaxed character and taking twenty-something hits to kill != difficulty. It just means I have to wait a long time once I've got them in a stagger loop, or even longer while I get cozy with cover) which is ultimately just boring as I can't allow any kind of back-and-forth. It's also pretty terrible when the game is ultimately clumsy to play. If I had a dollar for every time I've accidentally jumped over cover into the light in Splinter Cell Conviction because the game didn't recognize that I was looking over at the next bit of wall or whatnot, I'd have enough to have paid off all my Splinter-Cell related expenditures.
I do generally crank up games as high as they'll go difficulty-wise prior to that point though. I despise feeling like my hand is being held

Also my solution to the difficulty issue is usually just mods and player-made patches, though it's a bit sad when some random person fixes major gameplay flaws in a AAA title from their bedroom or something.

I'm also not particularly appreciative of games where you get killed off for not knowing something the game never actually told you. While Dark Souls is a good example of a game that kills you off for screwing up, sometimes it doesn't do a very good job of telling you what screwing up actually *is*. Though at the very least you can run back and grab up all your souls again.

raeior

Oct 18, 2013
Lovely Mixture said:
It depends how the difficulty is done.

For me, La-Mulana is the go-to example about how a game should not be made. The game is not difficult, it's frustrating. There is no challenge in trying endless combinations of puzzles and doing the same tasks, "getting lucky" should not be the final strategy that one has to use in order to progress in a game.
Ugh yes. Some of the puzzles in La-Mulana are just absurd. At least some of them give you some kind of hint but many of them don't. I still like the game but it would be nice to be able to solve more puzzles without the wiki. Even with the wiki some of the puzzles seem really strange and kinda illogical.

Lovely Mixture said:
Even the most diehard lovers of Dark Souls (myself included) agree that the Bed of Chaos is a bullshit fight, because it doesn't rely on the player being skillful.
This too. The fight got a lot easier when I realized I could just block every single swipe attack, but before that it was just frustrating. Especially combined with the quite long way from the bonfire back into the fight. Jumping over the moat in the final stage was also extremely annoying for me. I don't know how often I made the jump just to get grilled by the flamestrike attack right after landing.

Although the fight against the Ceaseless Discharge was just as frustrating for me. The hitboxes of those arms are quite strange and sometimes I got hit by arms that came down 5 m away and sometimes I could stand inside them and didn't get hit. Another prime example of difficulty done wrong. If I can learn what to do to prevent getting killed all is fine...but the game just randomly deciding "Oh that hit that didn't even come close to hitting you? Well yeah that was a hit" is just frustrating.

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
Depends on the difficulty. If it's Dark Souls difficulty where everything is very fair and there's always a simple solution to all the problems it throws at you if you're willing to experiment a little and learn from your previous mistakes then the difficulty is rewarding and finally getting past that one little bit that tarpitted you last time always feels good. Or the difficulty of a good puzzle game where, if you just took some time to think about it then the solution becomes obvious and you'll wonder why it was so hard in the first place (Myst is a good example of this).

However, if it's difficult because it's broken or just being difficult for difficulty's sake then it's not quite as fun, you do get that same sense of achievement sometimes, but most of the time it's not because you stopped to try a new strategy that fitted the situation or because you managed to figure out the proper combination of items required to solve a puzzle it's just because you brute forced your way through by either smashing your head against a wall before you finally broke through or you exhausted every other possible option and just managed to get the right one by sheer luck.

So, difficulty for me is only fun when it's rewarding in some way. Dark Souls is the most obvious example and you always hear people in the community singing its praises, but it's because they've experienced it themselves and can vouch for it. There's something satisfying to learning how to parry correctly, or figuring out one of the little secrets, or beating the Taurus demon by using the plunging attacks a few times to whittle him down. I could go on with everything that have given me a big smile on my face, but that's off-topic.

It's about finding that balance that Dark Souls has struck so well, its been compared with the older Nintendo titles with a similar punishing-yet-rewarding level of difficulty, like Super Metroid, Megaman or Castlevania, where knowing where that wall turkey is, or where to stock up on power bombs is part of what makes the game fun. Getting stuck on a boss in those games is frustrating for a while but you eventually work out what strategy works best against them and how to take them down efficiently and it's rewarding to know that the mistakes you make are your fault for not doing something you know you should've done but weren't fast enough or skilled enough to pull off at that moment, not because the game was just being cheap.

That's how Dark Souls does it, too, you should've kept your eye on your HP, you should've gotten a tiny bit more out of range before you healed, you shouldn't have run around that blind corner when you knew that the game likes to put something there to murder you. And the next time you come back, you remember these things and you get a little further, you learn to be cautious and how to better protect yourself on the next run. So even making it to the next bonfire is a huge achievement but also a burden because all those enemies you just killed on the way are back and there's more to come, too.

Anyway, I've been rambling way too much. Go play Dark Souls and the sequel, seriously, play it. It's just incredible.

NihilSinLulz

May 28, 2013
As I've gotten older, I've realized the story-telling in the vast majority of games is ass. They can be fun and interesting sure, but the execution is almost always ass. So now, I try to get the most out of games via their challenge and mechanics. I generally like hard games, but my problem is when a game designer thinks 'hard' is the same as cheap. Case and point, the end boss of pretty much any fighting game.

I'd say games like Revengeance, Halo, and Spec Ops: The Line all did difficulty in very different, but effective ways.

Waffle_Man

Oct 14, 2010
It's not so much about difficulty as it is about engagement.

See, the problem that people have with difficult games is that it often feels like the game will throw a challenge at a player that their level of control doesn't account for, or the solution takes away from how the mechanics are enjoyed.

To contextualize this, think of how a large number of shooters simply increase enemy health and numbers to make the game more difficult. While this makes the game more "difficult" in the abstract sense, it doesn't account for what the player does moment to moment in game. Shooters work largely because of how they crescendo as the player goes through the motions of setting up a kill (either through aiming or positioning), shooting, and then seeing the exciting and often gory result. By increasing the difficulty of enemies simply by increasing the amount of times we need to shoot them, it flattens the curve of excitement. It's simply increasing the number of times the player has to succeed, not the depth required to succeed.

Obviously, there are reasons that it is hard to increase difficulty in a way that increases depth, simply because it's easier to learn how to exploit a system while playing a game rather than designing it. Further more, increasing the complexity of enemy movement and tactics rather than changing the integer that controls enemy health is significantly harder to do.