Is evil within 2 better than Resident evil 4?

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
Hello

So my dear friends, evil within 1 was the game that was lable as spritual successor to resident evil 4. but after the game released it turn out really bad, broken and horribly optimize. fast forward evil within 2 just released and after playing it. its miles a head of original in every way. it runs like a butter while original run like crap, it controls much better, combat is very much improved, story seem better too.

now lets compare it to resident evil 4 or could i say series in general. imo it did everything better than resi 4. resi 4 was overrated and mediocre game with bad combat and controls. this however is much better in this regards. sabestian is also better character than leon s kenedy (lenardo dicarpio). 5 and 6 were the game that even fans hated while 7 is major improvement and new breed of franchise.

evil within 2 is not some sort of masterpiece but its a pretty good game and this spritual successor is much better than resident evil franchise.

what do you think?

Discuss

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Well, I think the Evil Within series is a much better horror experience than RE4, 5 and 6, but that's not saying much as I've practically written an entire essay elsewhere on this forum about my problems with RE4.

I don't agree it's better than the older main line resident evil games but they are completely different and therefore a preference choice which is dependent the type of games you enjoy - horses for courses.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Careful there, you might be shaking a lot of nostalgia trees with this, be warned of incoming angry apples!

Anyway...Haven't played this new one yet, despite the desire. Life has suddenly become rather strained financially and emotionally, so little joys are out of reach for some while. Looks kinda interesting.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Hahahahahahahaaaaa.

I haven't even played The Evil Within 2 and I can safely say 'hell fucking NO!' If it's anything like the first game it's not even allowed to stand in the shadow of RE4's pinky. Just that terrible running animation alone makes it worse.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
Casual Shinji said:
Hahahahahahahaaaaa.

I haven't even played The Evil Within 2 and I can safely say 'hell fucking NO!' If it's anything like the first game it's not even allowed to stand in the shadow of RE4's pinky. Just that terrible running animation alone makes it worse.
Original game was terrible and sequel improve in every way except the hub system. its much better and very different game.

Rip Van Rabbit

~ UNLIMITED RULEBOOK ~
Apr 17, 2012
God no.

I played Resident Evil 4 on PC for the first time in 2016. The Resident Evil franchise never really registered on my radar over the years. So I have no love or nostalgia for previous or newer entries.

I skipped the original Evil Within entirely. News of crappy optimization and opinions of some users here whom I trust (Hello, CasualShinji) swayed me to look at other titles. Apparently, the Evil Within 2 improved in every single area. So I picked it up and I eventually reached the point where I killed a fellow wielding a flamethrower with a mound of flesh burned to his face. Not sure if I'm near the end, but I've seen enough.

The Evil Within 2 can be genuinely tense when you're scrambling for ammo, when you panic swing an axe into an enemy and improvise with your approach. It's not quite open-world, but rather you're given a large chunk of the map that is broken up into districts via tunnels. The guns are punchy, the enemies react to wounds and exploring a building/house is bound to have a varied encounter of some kind (A certain monster stalking you. Enemies hidden in the house. Enemies bursting into the house. A small supply haven that tells a gruesome tale of the previous occupants.) There's enough in the world to keep it feeling fresh if you ignore the main mission and fuck around with side quests. For reference, the second firearm I obtained, next to the standard pistol was a sniper rifle.

That said, the AI is dumb as shit. Once you enter stealth, break line of sight and simply wait for the alert phase to pass...the enemies simply "reset" and follow 1-2 short patrol routes. While hit-and-run stealth attacks are a great way to save ammo, it diminishes the threat when all I have to do is get close and tap a button. Ooh, and if I'm a good girl and get to do the stealth attack twice if I hide behind a bin and wait for the enemy to turn their back. Enemies also stop chasing you after a decent sprint. So feel free to kite them or run from encounters with little consequence.

The plot is...serviceable. It's basically Total Recall with Totally-Not-Zombies. The protagonist is a bog standard growly shouty man with no sense of humor. Is it realistic, given his circumstances? Yes. Is it entertaining? I'd say it's exhausting and I can't bring myself to care about mopey Sebastian moping about moping with his mopey face.

To be fair, the combat and the world is the highlight. It's probably the closest thing we'll get to a recent Resident Evil 4.

Leon had his serious moments, but he could be a comically serious one-liner dropping doofus. He gave the game some levity in the face of all the grim occultist madness. Resident Evil 4 feels inherently silly, or at least self-aware, so when you're cornered by Ganados or have enemies swarming the house you thought you were safe in (Why did I take the shotgun!? I knew it was too good to be true.) -- those tense moments feel increasingly effective because of the mood whiplash. Having triumphed over an encounter, Leon dropping a one-liner or not losing his cool to mission control, it felt rewarding. I'm also one of those weirdo's that found Ashley to be endearing as a support character.

Personally, Resident Evil 4 still wins the overall prize. Evil Within 2 looks good and plays fine (It's still got some shitty optimization) but it's largely forgettable.

Cette

Legacy
Dec 16, 2011
Country
US
Hard to say until I'm all the way through it but based off what I've seen so far I don't think it'll wrack up nearly as many replays as RE4 has for me.

There's something more awkward about almost everything to the game so it just doesn't flow as well. Still quite enjoying it though. I'll give it that it eases players into the game better than RE4 did. I know a few people who decided it wasn't worth it on that one after getting discouraged by having a whole town thrown at them while they were still getting the controls down.

If they keep improving at the current rate a theoretical TEW3 might turn out to be something really special.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Evil Within 2 is just another mediocre horror game that will be forgotten in a month. Resident Evil 4 was a genre defining game. It was one of those rare revolutionary games like GTA3, MGS4 and DMC3. And it's still relevant today. The "bad controls" was a deliberate design decision to make the game more challenging. It's an almost perfect gaming experience.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
B-Cell said:
Casual Shinji said:
Hahahahahahahaaaaa.

Original game was terrible and sequel improve in every way except the hub system. its much better and very different game.
That's like saying a moist stick is better than dog vommit, considering the abysmal quality of the first game.

Anything is possible I suppose, but from what footage I've seen it looks to be the same badly voice acted, generic horror clunk-a-thon, only without letterboxing or a grainfilter.
Rip Van Rabbit said:
I skipped the original Evil Within entirely. News of crappy optimization and opinions of some users here whom I trust (Hello, CasualShinji) swayed me to look at other titles.
Don't get swayed on my account though, you might actually like it.

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
It is, not that it's hard to be since I personally think RE4 is mediocre and a step back for RE that pretty much ruined the entire franchise. TEW2 is easily in my top 3 games this year with Prey and Resident Evil 7, I'm sure Wolfenstein II will push off RE7 or TEW2 though.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Both Evil Within 1&2 are good but I wouldn't really put them in the same league as RE4. TEW feels more like grindhouse horror rather than a superbly polished blockbuster like RE4. Bit of an acquired taste but massively entertaining if you're into it and it's not really like these games come in large supply in the AAA-space. TEW2 lacked a bit of the original's eccentricity but I was actually impressed by how expertly crafted it was. RE4 will always remain an all-time classic but it's no doubt an old game in terms of environmental detail. I recently played through the PS4 version(which I believe is the ultimate PC edition) and that is like putting a bright light on some very low resolution textures clearly not intended to be displayed in HD. Gameplay is still terrific though. It also took me 12 years to realize what a stupid character Krauser is. His sudden presence makes absolutely no sense. The dialogue is actually so corny at times it really made me laugh. :p

Rip Van Rabbit

~ UNLIMITED RULEBOOK ~
Apr 17, 2012
Casual Shinji said:
Rip Van Rabbit said:
I skipped the original Evil Within entirely. News of crappy optimization and opinions of some users here whom I trust (Hello, Casual Shinji) swayed me to look at other titles.
Don't get swayed on my account though, you might actually like it.
Just finished the new one. Dear God, if this is supposedly the "better" sequel then I'm going to pass on the original. You practically play through bits of first and there are recurring bosses at some point.

Although I did find this gem that you unlock. Don't worry, no spoilers. Figured you'd might like this one:

Truly, this is the greatest honor one can bestow upon the player.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
No.

I don't give a damn about RE4, but there's no denying that it was a smash hit and made a massive impact on game design.

EW2 is a clunky, mediocre game rife with design decisions that range from terrible to questionable and will be largely forgotten within a year or two.

It's not a terrible game or anything, but it's absolutely nothing special.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Ezekiel said:
Also, why is there so much gunpowder but so little ammo?
I guess they did that so you can decide for yourself if you want handgun, shotgun or rifle bullets. I like the idea as the crafting is very unintrusive and you don't feel like upgrading a single weapon is pointless weren't it for the fact the upgrades themselves feel very marginal. You have to scour like half the game for enough green goo to have 10% extra damage output. Though given the scarcity of ammo/gun powder it's also obvious emphasis is on preventing the player from becoming overpowered which sits well with the general survival horror theme. I like how every shot you make feels critical in this game.

Cette

Legacy
Dec 16, 2011
Country
US
Ezekiel said:
It's pretty impressive that the PC version doesn't have a walk button. A third person horror game without a walk button. A sequel to a game that did have a walk button.
Walking is the absence of sprinting yes? Why would that need a dedicated button for it when you could simply not hit the sprint key?

Not trying to convince you to like the game but I can't make heads or tails of this complaint nor figure why it would be a notable negative.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Rip Van Rabbit said:
Although I did find this gem that you unlock. Don't worry, no spoilers. Figured you'd might like this one:

Truly, this is the greatest honor one can bestow upon the player.
That's not bad. Don't know how much credit The Evil Within has to even poke fun at itself though.