Is evil within 2 better than Resident evil 4?

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
I mean, that's kind of a bad question, because the answer largely comes down to how much you liked RE4.

I would certainly say TEW2 is better, but I'm someone who considers RE4 a 2/5 game rendered nigh unplayable by a protagonist who handles like a poorly oiled piece of industrial machinery and totally arbitrary difficulty born almost exclusively of how artificially unwieldy the most basic of actions like moving and shooting are, not to mention a utter failure as a horror game due to finding everything from the writing to the acting to the animation to the monster design to the sound design to every basic detail of everything about the damn product almost inherently comical.

OTOH if you didn't feel that way and consider RE4 a classic, TEW2 is a very different beast and likely wont live up to your fond memories.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Finally got around completing this game and..color me unimpressed. The improvements in gameplay and some strong opening scenes gave me an initially positive first impression but this game feels very bland compared to the first one. Sebastian got on my nerves the more time I spent with him and the story devolved into a 'horror' Truman show that got more uninspiring with each chapter. There was none of the eccentricity or cheese or wild imagination of the original. TEW2 just doesn't feel unique and more like a watered down Last of Us. It doesn't really have an identity of it's own instead it's trying to be something it's not. It still has it's moments like the artist guy with the dapper suit and ditto hairdo but these moments are few and far between. That priest or whatever is just a fucking bore.

I loved Sebastian's quirky offbeat demeanor in the first game but here he's all serious and gruff and it's all so stupid with the terrible writing and wooden delivery. The first one atleast took a piss at it's own expense. Enemies also only seem to come in three varieties: zombie, fire zombie and zombie on all fours(that look like upside down Regenerators from RE4). Where are the terrific creature designs and horror movie callbacks? The hub sections are also bland and any illusion of emergent gameplay is broken by obvious trigger points for enemy spawns(like the diner for those flamethrower guys). Bosses are also boring and the only interesting enemy that hums the clair de lune theme is relegated to forced stealth sections.

TEW2 is a very bland and uninspired sequel but the gameplay is improved. For whatever that's worth. *sigh* really disappointed.

Corvooo

Oct 25, 2017
I personally think The Evil Within definitely was the RE5 we needed. However RE4 was more than just a game. It defined a new genre of "third-person over-the-shoulder" shooters. It created a sense of tension never before experienced via putting the camera view right over Leon's shoulder. RE5 WAS good also. However I felt its gameplay mechanics were already getting repetitive after RE4. The Evil Within gets very mixed reviews. In fact many people in this thread seem to dislike it. That is their fair objective opinion. I personally learned to enjoy it because of its use of stealth, upgrade systems, and grainy border design (that so many gamers hated). The Evil Within 1 was what I consider to be a HARD game. The gameplay was janky in parts. Sebastian was stiff. Everything he did popped him out of the stealth position. Yet...somehow...it all came together. It slowly morphed from a item scarce stealth survival game into an action shooter (like RE4 and RE5). It had bear traps, bombs, and trip line explosives. Its had these open environments (around the same size as RE4) where you could lure enemies into traps. Actually, YOU HAD TO. The Evil Within was more than "RE5". It was a strategic journey requiring different tactics for different encounters. Not just, use handgun, then shot gun, then sniper rifle. I could go on and on and on yet I love The Evil Within and The Evil Within 2. I appreciate their niche following and what Tango Gameworks is doing. I feel these two games fill a gap in the gaming space long forgotten.

astrav1

Jul 6, 2009
B-Cell said:
resi 4 was overrated and mediocre game with bad combat and controls.
You understand being a contrarian doesn't make you smart or edgy, right? It even holds up today, but yeah the game is over 12 years old, it's going to have some flaws, that being said I would love to play the evil within games, I've just never had the chance.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Well this game turned out to be not merely mediocre but actively, aggressively, garbage.

The Evil Within 2 is a game in which you can die during an unskippable cutscene.

I don't mean a QTE or a cutscene of your character being killed. I mean that a cutscene can trigger during gameplay during which enemies can continue to attack you even though your controls are disabled because you're watching the fucking cutscene, which doesn't show anything of importance anyway.

That is unforgivably bad design.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Zhukov said:
I don't mean a QTE or a cutscene of your character being killed. I mean that a cutscene can trigger during gameplay during which enemies can continue to attack you even though your controls are disabled because you're watching the fucking cutscene, which doesn't show anything of importance anyway.
I don't recall such a thing in what part of the game was that?

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
stroopwafel said:
I don't recall such a thing in what part of the game was that?
Encounter with a security dude stranded on top of a truck.

When you get close enough the game stops to show you a cutscene of the zombies running towards him (because apparently that's something we really needed to see). Depending on where you're standing when it triggers, some of them will already be on top of you and biting your face off when you regain control.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I've made this point before but I don't even really think RE4 was a horror game. It was an action shooter game with some tension. And the only really tense bit is in the village at the beginning. You'd be better comparing TEW to Dead Space or Amnesia or something.

I understand why people who enjoy action games love RE4 - but they just changed too much for me. I'm not an action gamer. It gave us 3 entries in the main series that were far too action heavy for me.

I appreciate that people who are more into action-shooter games were brought on board with RE with this game, but I played the game to completion back in the day (just because it was Resident Evil) and it just wasn't my type of game. Tbh, I just kept wondering when they'd get to the Resident Evil bits all the way through.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
dscross said:
I've made this point before but I don't even really think RE4 was a horror game. It was an action shooter game with some tension. And the only really tense bit is in the village at the beginning. You'd be better comparing TEW to Dead Space or Amnesia or something.

I understand why people who enjoy action games love RE4 - but they just changed too much for me. I'm not an action gamer. It gave us 3 entries in the main series that were far too action heavy for me.

I appreciate that people who are more into action-shooter games were brought on board with RE with this game, but I played the game to completion back in the day (just because it was Resident Evil) and it just wasn't my type of game. Tbh, I just kept wondering when they'd get to the Resident Evil bits all the way through.
Not that I got that far into The Evil Within (thank god), but that game was pretty action heavy as well. From the footage I've seen 70% was the protagonist awkwardly shooting at ghouls, and the other 30% was him running away from some invincible enemy.

And honestly, no, RE4 was not a horror game, but the village section was more atmospheric and creepy than anything I saw in The Evil Within. Everything about that game felt like discount Silent Hill.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Casual Shinji said:
Everything about that game felt like discount Silent Hill.
More like a budget Mikami megamix. Sure, gameplay nowhere near as good as RE4 but it had a certain charm and eccentricity I really loved. Something the sequel sorely lacked. They shouldn't have 'westernized' it.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Having played the first game but not exposed myself to the sequel I'm gonna take a wild stab in the dark and say no. Even if they righted all the gameplay wrongs from the first game - and there's a lot to right, starting with the camera and controls - it would still be an incoherent phantasmagoria of set pieces with blank-slate characters, generic "Look out!" dialogue and pointless subplots leading nowhere. And now that Mikami has stepped aside as director there's even less to hope for.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Casual Shinji said:
Everything about that game felt like discount Silent Hill.
Especially the Not Pyramid Head with the safe box for a head.
And Not Lisa Garland.
And Not Scarlett Fitch.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Casual Shinji said:
Not that I got that far into The Evil Within (thank god), but that game was pretty action heavy as well. From the footage I've seen 70% was the protagonist awkwardly shooting at ghouls, and the other 30% was him running away from some invincible enemy.

And honestly, no, RE4 was not a horror game, but the village section was more atmospheric and creepy than anything I saw in The Evil Within. Everything about that game felt like discount Silent Hill.
Well I've only watched bits of TEW2 but the action to survival ratio seemed pretty similar to the 1st one to me. I thought the first game had more of an old survival horror feel to it, focussing on maintaining distance between you and your enemies instead of shooting your way through them. You know how I feel about RE4. The first little bit of a huge game isn't a lot. And 'a discount Silent Hill' is still more of a horror game to me.