Is Formula 1 racing a redneck sport in Europe?

supermariner

Aug 27, 2010
Michael Ellis said:
No, what the hell gave you that idea?

If there's any sport in Europe that's fandom consists primarily of imbeciles, it's Soccer.
how dare you sir
... it's pronounced football
and careful what you say
i think a suprising amount of escapists are football fans

AugustFall

May 5, 2009
NASCAR is not equivalent to F1. F1 is international and is held in pretty damned high esteem in all countries.

Not putting down NASCAR just saying those 2 things cannot be compared.

ZydrateDealer

Nov 17, 2009
Michael Ellis said:

If there's any sport in Europe that's fandom consists primarily of imbeciles, it's Soccer.
No, not soccer...FOOTBALL!! lol

Ledan

Apr 15, 2009
Nope. We don't have rednecks here.
And everyone watches football so I don't think it can be classified as a redneck sport

Ziggy

Jul 13, 2010
Michael Ellis said:

Football

JAWZxZ

Mar 21, 2010
Michael Ellis said:

Fail@ Trolling 0/10

No, F1 isn't considered a redneck sport, as it often delves into the science behind the cars themselves. For me, the most interesting thing is the cars, not the drivers.

WaysideMaze

The Butcher On Your Back
Apr 25, 2010
Zetona said:
At least NASCAR lets drivers pass each other.
So does formula 1. In fact, earlier this year Massa was given orders to let Alonso pass him.
That counts right?

MetaKnight19

Jul 8, 2009
I love Formula 1, last year I went to Singapore to watch the night race and it was amazing. The atmosphere was something like I never experienced, probably helped out with our seats were pretty much right next to the start/finish line and opposite the pits/winners podium. Also the pit girls were a spectacle to behold.

I apologise in advance for the somewhat shoddy camera work, constant zooming and a constant awkward tilt, since it was a new camera and was still getting to grips with it. For some reason I thought that sweeping the camera left to right to keep up with the cars was a good idea, which probably wasn't.

Brightzide

Nov 22, 2009
Football attracts our dregs/chavs/scum/hooligans/horse botherers ( use whichever you're most comfortable with ) more than motor sports do my friend. F1 is ( and this may be just me ) one of the more middle-class sports to follow...bah! What do I know, I'm a hockey fan anyhow :)

captain underpants

Jun 8, 2010
I tend to find spectating to be pretty boring no matter what the sport. I reckon sport's for the doin', not for the watchin'. Since motorsport has a fairly high barrier to entry, I satisfy myself with the simulators.

NASCAR is ridiculously boring to watch, but I was quite surprised to discover that it's actually a hell of a lot of fun to actually race. All the cars are designed to be pretty much equal in performance, and that makes for close racing with other cars on all sides only inches away. F1, and most other road racing tends to become an exercise in hotlapping after the first couple of laps, and is all about chipping away the hundredths of seconds to try and catch and pass the guy ahead. It's all about learning the track, and getting into a good rhythm. That has it's own appeal too. Personally, I've been kinda following the GT1 series on gtworld.com. There's been some pretty good racing so far.

BTW, to inject the Australian perspective, our rednecks are called bogans, and their motorsport of choice is the V8 Supercars. Not my cup of tea - those things are undriveable, I reckon.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Like all hobbies and fans (which is a shortening of Fanatic might I add) F1 has all breeds of crazies that like it.

Whether your a crazy like me that actually pours over the rules and actually gets excited when his favourite team bring an update to their sumptuous cars to the crazies that froth at the mouth when the tabloid press interviews the drivers girlfriends.

I personally like NASCAR and I'm not a redneck, I'm more of an olive neck.

Sober Thal said:
Does Europe have rednecks, or are they called something else? I don't mean people who are called imbeciles and what-not. Perhaps some term that isn't used in the States?
In the UK they have Chavs and Thugs,
CHAV is a mnemonic and stands for "Council House and Violent", Council means Welfare so the US or North American term would be "WHAV" I guess. Anyway I digress, its people with no job that feed off the welfare system and because they have nothing better to do are violent, if they are violent because of who they are or because of the poor hand life has given them is a discussion for another thread I'm sure.

I'm France we call them "Anti Ca Socialle", which is the same thing really.
JourneyThroughHell said:
Zetona said:
At least NASCAR lets drivers pass each other. (I watch both series religiously.)
Is that a subtle poke at the Schumacher-Alonso incident at Monaco this year or just an outright comment on Monaco and Singapore every year?
Have you seen the rules for Indy Racing League?, I assume your a fan of F1?

Well in Indy they have to give up the racing line into a corner if they are ahead, the inside line and by proxy the apex of the corner which is the fastest way through is "give way to the guy behind you", I shit you not, thats why Indy has more overtaking than F1.

As for NASCAR, not sure!

Hafnium

Jun 15, 2009
Not in Denmark, and not many people follow it, though I watch it on occassion. :)

We have a term that substitutes "Redneck", it's called "bonderøv" (bonde=farmer-ish, røv = ass). Not a farmer's ass, but a farmer that is an ass. :)
They're stereotyped as liking Tractor-pulling and dirtbiking as far as motorsports goes. The more you know..

GWarface

Jun 3, 2010
Not really no, i have to agree on F1 being a semi highclass sport...

Here in Denmark, a redneck is called a "bonderøv" wich means a "farmers ass"...
We have them, yes, but not to the same "poor ass - beer drinking - using the southern state flag as a decoration - shooting your wife and sexing your dog" degree as in america...

A little over the top, but you get the idea...

BlueberryMUNCH

Apr 15, 2010
I think that it's the opposite of a 'Redneck Sport' here in England; at least that's the case with the fans I know...
We don't really have an equivalent if I'm being honest...nope, nothing springs to mind.

mexicola

Feb 10, 2010
No it's not, it's a decently reputed sport (how does that work?) if somewhat boring, to me at least.